Re: Hum website

  • patty94@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "daveycannon" <daveycannon@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > My name is Dave from Australia. I first posted last year describing my experiences of the hum.
      >
      > I do web development and thought I'd offer to create a website where other hum suffers could share ideas and solutions.
      >
      > One of the main things I want to do on the site is to allow us to enter hum observations. I was thinking each observation could include;
      >
      > -Date/time
      > -Location - Geographical (lat/long) and physical (in a building etc)
      > -Description
      > -Intensity (scale 1 to 10?)
      > -Sound Recording
      >
      > If we can start a database of observations it may be helpful in the future.
      >
      > So if there is anyone out there that thinks this would be a good (or not so good) idea then let me know.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Dave

      Hi Dave; Just wondering where in Australia, you are located at, anywhere near N.S.W.?
      Have you had a look at John Dawes hum sufferers survey yet?
      Patty
    • daveycannon
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

        > This is old news to some of us who have been on this website for years.
        >
        > I do not want to dishearten you, but a hum diary has been done before on this website, and should be available in the database somewhere.
        >
        > The result was that the hum is all around the world, and it is very random, with intensites that go from high, to medium, to low, and some off days.
        >
        > The hum tends to be more intense at night, rather than day. Some of the more sensitive people can hear the hum outdoors, while others like myself cannot, possibly because the internal structures of buildings and double glazing cause the hum to be amplified indoors.
        >
        > The sound of the hum can be heard and also felt like a vibration like a pulsing through the air, and also up through the pillow when sleeping.
        >
        > One thing that seemed to be proven, was that stormy weather can affect the hum , and in my case it can dissapear for a few days because of it.
        >
        > Anyway do not let me put you off, good luck, but count me out as to keep a hum diary, lets you be reminded of the hum each day, even the days its not there, so I no longer keep a diary to remind me of it.
        >
        > Cheers Colin Mack, West Central Scotland.

        Thanks for the feedback Colin and Jill,

        Colin, I also have similar feelings about keeping a diary of sorts as it reminds us and maybe even reinforces the perception of the hum.

        For myself, although I would love to not hear it, it seems that for thetime being it is here to stay with me and I might as well observe it. Hopefully those observations may be helpfull to others.

        A lot of things in this world seem to be random and it is only when enough data is collected an analysed that patterns emerge. Maybe this could be the same with the hum? For example the hum here in Canberra (Australian Capital Territory) stopped for a few hours a couple of months ago. My brother who also hears the hum confirmed this as well. If enough people in the area reported the same observation then you would have something to work with.

        Thanks for the tip about the weather, I'll be sure to include those fields like wind direction, temperature etc. I guess the important marker for the observation would be the date and time as weather data could be gathered the nearest weather station.

        Thanks again for the feedback.

        Dave
      • daveycannon
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2010
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "patty94@..." <patty94@...> wrote:

          > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "daveycannon" <daveycannon@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > My name is Dave from Australia. I first posted last year describing my experiences of the hum.
          > >
          > > I do web development and thought I'd offer to create a website where other hum suffers could share ideas and solutions.
          > >
          > > One of the main things I want to do on the site is to allow us to enter hum observations. I was thinking each observation could include;
          > >
          > > -Date/time
          > > -Location - Geographical (lat/long) and physical (in a building etc)
          > > -Description
          > > -Intensity (scale 1 to 10?)
          > > -Sound Recording
          > >
          > > If we can start a database of observations it may be helpful in the future.
          > >
          > > So if there is anyone out there that thinks this would be a good (or not so good) idea then let me know.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Dave
          > >
          > Hi Dave; Just wondering where in Australia, you are located at, anywhere near N.S.W.?
          > Have you had a look at John Dawes hum sufferers survey yet?
          > Patty

          Hi Patty,

          I live in Canberra, near Black Mountain.
          I have looked at John Dawes's survey. What I thought of doing was to record each observation and overlay that onto Google maps so we could get a visual representation of each observation as well as the other data such as intensity, direction etc.

          John Dawes's survey could be useful on the site and I would be happy to continue the survey if John was OK with that.

          Dave