another hum in Utah

  • Regina McAskill Scherffius
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3 10:31 AM
      A couple of years ago I had my first "hum experience" at Zion National Park in southern Utah. I would call it "classic hum" in that it was prominent only inside a building, was the low modulating tone, appeared exactly like an acoustic noise except that it did not change with earplugs and no one else I was with could hear it, etc. I had never heard of the existence of hum phenomena at the time. Fortunately I was accompanied by open-minded people who did not think I was nuts.

      An interesting feature is that I was there for the weekend, arriving on a Friday morning, and did not experience the hum until Sunday evening. Either it started at that time, or there is some "tuning" phenomenon in the individual hearer. I left on Monday morning so I was not able to determine if the hum would continue over time at that location, or stop. I drove to Las Vegas that day and did not hear the hum after leaving the area.

      From what I have read about hum phenomena, I tend to subscribe to the explanation for many people's experience that we have developed some mechanism for "hearing" an electromagnetic signal directly. I think some of the differences in people's experiences (whether the hum is heard at all times in all places or is place-dependent, can be heard outside or not, the exact modulation, the volume) may stem from being attuned to different frequencies - some people are hearing microwave radiation, others lower-frequency waves of various kinds.

      In the case of Zion, it seems unlikely that I was hearing microwaves; the landscape shelters from the most common source. No one gets cell reception at the bottom of the canyon, whereas if you climb to the top of the outcropping called Angel's Landing or the canyon rim, you can get a strong signal. So what could be producing a signal? That's another discussion...

      I appreciate this forum as a place where we can put forth our own "anecdata" and read about others!

      Regina

    • patty94@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8 7:19 AM
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Regina McAskill Scherffius <gscherff@...> wrote:

        > A couple of years ago I had my first "hum experience" at Zion National Park in southern Utah. I would call it "classic hum" in that it was prominent only inside a building, was the low modulating tone, appeared exactly like an acoustic noise except that it did not change with earplugs and no one else I was with could hear it, etc. I had never heard of the existence of hum phenomena at the time. Fortunately I was accompanied by open-minded people who did not think I was nuts.
        >
        > An interesting feature is that I was there for the weekend, arriving on a Friday morning, and did not experience the hum until Sunday evening. Either it started at that time, or there is some "tuning" phenomenon in the individual hearer. I left on Monday morning so I was not able to determine if the hum would continue over time at that location, or stop. I drove to Las Vegas that day and did not hear the hum after leaving the area.
        >
        > From what I have read about hum phenomena, I tend to subscribe to the explanation for many people's experience that we have developed some mechanism for "hearing" an electromagnetic signal directly. I think some of the differences in people's experiences (whether the hum is heard at all times in all places or is place-dependent, can be heard outside or not, the exact modulation, the volume) may stem from being attuned to different frequencies - some people are hearing microwave radiation, others lower-frequency waves of various kinds.
        >
        > In the case of Zion, it seems unlikely that I was hearing microwaves; the landscape shelters from the most common source. No one gets cell reception at the bottom of the canyon, whereas if you climb to the top of the outcropping called Angel's Landing or the canyon rim, you can get a strong signal. So what could be producing a signal? That's another discussion...
        >
        > I appreciate this forum as a place where we can put forth our own "anecdata" and read about others!
        >
        > Regina

        Hi Regina; Do you know whether they have satellite phone service, it seems most areas have it for emergency. I have never been convince that it is cell towers that I hear, what I can say is communications towers. What I'm noticing here in southern Ontario is the microwave repeater's they are the round drum type fixtures on our towers.
        From what I have been able to discover so far is that they are called reasonance cavities that relay the signals to pico stations or hub stations that relay to satellites.
        I think that some satellite phones connect directly to low earth orbit satellites. It's alot and along way from learning that the perception of the hum was happening in my cochlea.
        But as long as I'm living with it I guess I'll keep learning about it.

        Patty

        keep learning about it.
        Patty
      • Tom Becker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8 6:30 PM
          > ... Do you know whether they have satellite phone service, it seems
          most areas have it...

          Patty, the entire surface of the globe has satellite phone service -
          resulting from the nature of the Iridium satellite orbits. The Iridium
          satellites' orbital planes are about 500 miles above the surface.
          Line-of-sight is necessary to communicate with an Iridium satellite, so
          a user's phone antenna cannot be under any significant cover.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation

          That leads to the notion that - were the Iridium constellation
          responsible for the Hum - the phenomenon would not likely occur indoors,
          contrary to most experience.

          Tom