The Hum vs Binaural Beats

  • jay
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2010
      Has anyone tried listening to binaural beats to mask the
      harshness of the hum?

      I made an hour long recording of the hum I hear - only I
      made it synchronous at about 3Hz and just loud enough to
      mask out the randomness of the environmental hum. It works
      for me! Maybe it works so well because I know the base
      frequency of our hum and can match it.

      Anyone interested can search the web. There's a Cool
      Edit manual called coolman.pdf which explains entrainment
      and binaural beat usage starting on page 64.

      xtec.cat/formaciotic/dvdformacio/eines/cooledit/coolman.pdf

      Combating environmental hum is not one of the recommended
      uses though but 'sleep' is.

      Some may have an aversion against pure tones with out over
      tones (not sure why) so I wouldn't recommend it there.
      Also B.B.s might not work on those who hear in one ear.

      I used a free program called Csound to make my B-Beats
      but I'm fairly sure Audacity, Cool Edit, and other
      programs will easily do the job. Of course you have
      to get your sounds onto a player of some sort in order
      to try this. A laptop and headphones should work as
      long as the fans aren't too loud.

      Jay T.