a select few

  • MICHAEL
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2010
      It's good to know I'm in an elite group!! I've been hearing the hum since the beginning of 2006 and I read someone on here saying it's like torture, which is a good description. I also sometimes pick up vibrations through the chair or the bed or the floor and also sometimes I feel a pressure in the air but trying to pop my ears doesn't stop it. If I come into a house which has been shut up for a while , I can feel the pressure in the very air inside. Sometimes the hum is louder than at other times and when it reaches a certain pitch, the vibrations kick in as well. By the way I'm Michael's partner and use his computer. Michael doesn't hear a damn thing. We are lying in bed together and I say " Can you hear that hum? " and hum for him so he'll get the pitch of it and he says "No, it's silent except for you humming!" I say well imagine that in your ears all the time.

      What I want to know is will it disappear as I get older? I was 55 when I started hearing it and I see that's the peak age. Will I wake up one day and hear the sound of silence once again?!

      Best wishes to my fellow sufferers from Lynn
    • andrea
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2010
        I've tried to describe the HUM to various people in my life, and they just look at me with this stare like I'm not wise.. I don't know, it's just frustrating and annoying b/c it is something so particular to the few people that hear it.

        Sometimes at night, when i hear it best, I will plug up my ears to see if it's coming from inside my brain or something I'm hearing from the outside.. It seems like at times that I can't hear it when my ears are plugged, then sometimes I can.. it's just maddening.

        My ENT says nothing is wrong with my hearing, except that i have exceptional hearing.. which I guess is sorta bad as I'm always asking people to turn the TV down etc etc...

        As we speak I'm hearing the HUM. Night seems to bring it out, or maybe b/c things are so quiet... I live out in the boondocks and can't imagine what it would be coming from.

        Well, don't mean to repeat myself, but guess I just did. Good luck to you Lynn.. this is some crazy place we're in!

        Tess in NC
      • MICHAEL
        Message 3 of 4 , May 19, 2010
          Dear Tess I think you'll find if you just plug your left ear it stops, but this doesn't work if you plug your right ear...

          Yes, it follows you everywhere. There is no escape...

          At least you know it's not you. There's nothing organically or mentally wrong with you. I think we are victims. We are suffering the unforeseen consequences of modern technology. Ironically I don't have a mobile, I very rarely watch television ( I can't even work the DVD recorder) and I don't have a computer, although I've got quite clever on my partner's. I also can't drive and I don't have a passport. I think I could quite easily live without modern technology altogether.

          I wish somebody would find out what is causing the hum but I think it's from many sources.

          I too have acute hearing. I can also feel vibrations from the ground when I am outside. Although I don't hear the hum outside, I can sometimes pick up a sort of electric whizzing in the atmosphere. I get electric shocks easily from things like car doors or from stroking my cat.

          Is this all connected?!

          Love from Lynn

        • patty94@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2010
            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, andrea <savingtess@...> wrote:

            > I've tried to describe the HUM to various people in my life, and they just
            > look at me with this stare like I'm not wise.. I don't know, it's just
            > frustrating and annoying b/c it is something so particular to the few people
            > that hear it.
            >
            > Sometimes at night, when i hear it best, I will plug up my ears to see if
            > it's coming from inside my brain or something I'm hearing from the outside..
            > It seems like at times that I can't hear it when my ears are plugged, then
            > sometimes I can.. it's just maddening.
            >
            > My ENT says nothing is wrong with my hearing, except that i have exceptional
            > hearing.. which I guess is sorta bad as I'm always asking people to turn the
            > TV down etc etc...
            >
            > As we speak I'm hearing the HUM. Night seems to bring it out, or maybe b/c
            > things are so quiet... I live out in the boondocks and can't imagine what it
            > would be coming from.
            >
            > Well, don't mean to repeat myself, but guess I just did. Good luck to you
            > Lynn.. this is some crazy place we're in!
            >
            > Tess in NC

            Hi Tess; I am a Hum hearer too; Don't let those who can't hear it get to you. It is real and people all over the world can hear it also. Some only feel the effects with out hearing it. The ones who can only feel it, are called electromagnetic hypersensitive.
            Don't worry about repeating yourself. From what I have found the hum affects more than just our hearing.
            Alot of us sleep with a fan running to mask the sound.
            Try eating foods with more melatonin in them, this will help support your pineal gland, recently I've added walnuts to my diet - surprisingly they seem to really help. I've also found that remembering to move around and getting excercise helps to keep the suffering down to a minimum.
            Take care and find your balance in this situation
            Microwave Auditory, Frey effect hearer
            Patty