Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: HUM_FORUM: FWIW...

  • Donna Few
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2010
      Hi Zack,

      Thanks for the info.  Yes, other tests were done but the engineers did not tell me what measurement tool they were using.  One engineer had a tool which I thought was measuring sound.  I think he measured decibels, and stated ( I believe) that reading on his tool was below 60Hz range; I remember a mention of it being around the 0.2 range and subsonic in nature.  I'm tired right now; it's late and I'm not certain.  I did make notes in my journal about his statements, but can't look at them now.  He was the engineer who said that this environmental hazard was killing whales, at one time.  This man appeared very sophisticated and knowledgeable.  He was however, extremely evasive when I tried to follow-up with him on matters, seeming like he didn't want to get involved in the ordeal.

      The power company's team of experts took a number of measurements, including the use of a hand held tool to measure sound or ELF/EMF.  They did not tell the name of their tool, nor what they were measuring, and refused to give me a report of their findings.  They also took pictures and survey measurements of the property/land.

      Zack, what then does Gauss measurement in the range of 0.0-0.1 indicate in terms of ELF/EMF?  Can you translate that into Hz?  What electromagnetic field range (high or low) does this measurement fall into, and what health related concerns if any are connected to that range?  I thought it indicated extremely low frequencies in magnetic field, which I believe to be dangerous to health, but from what you've explained it tells the electromagnetic field range, but perhaps not the frequency; clarify this please, because you do seem to connect it with frequency as you go on in your response.  What you said about DC, constant slow changing field, made some sense to me in regard to what I think I have come to understand a bit.

      Donna

      From: Donna Few <profitzzzz@...>

      Subject: Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: HUM_FORUM: FWIW...
      To: humforum@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 6:24 AM

      Hi Bill and Zack,

      I dug up those measurement reports. Power company used it looks like a EMdex ll/ 1099, calibration date Dec 2008, but I can't really read the tech's hand writing on the meter model number; perhaps you guys can help figure it out. Anyway tech measurements were recorded in milliGauss(mG) according to the 60-hertz magnetic field measurement data sheet he completed and left with me. Bill, please interpret these findings for me. Basically the spot measurements taken throughout my home and outdoors around the house, averaged 0.1 with some spots showing a 0.0 measurement.

      Another engineer did Vibration measurements. He used a SENSR GP2 USB Programmable 3-axis Accelerometer capable of measuring acceleration or vibrations with a resolution in excess of 0.001g(gravity) along each of three axes (horizontal, vertical and transverse), at a rate of 100 measurements per second per axis in real time.. The data was recorded directly to a laptop computer. Once recorded, the data evaluated utilizing the provided software. Description is directly from the assessment report. The resulting data was plotted on a graph showing the frequency and amplitude of acceleration for each of the three axes. The graph and digital data were evaluated for evidence of harmonic resonance having accelerations along any of the three axes in excess of typical background levels.
      Findings:
      Vibration amplitudes in excess of typical background levels were not identified, but measured accelerations not considered to be of sufficient amplitude to be felt by a person were identified . Bill can you help interpret this in terms of ELF/EMF and/or HUM phenomenon?

      Also, Bill, what's the difference in a house that measures the typical 0.7-0.9 mG in magnetic field measurement and one which measures 0.0-0.1 mG in EMF; in terms of potential negative health impact? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Donna

      From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail. com>
      Subject: HUM_FORUM: Re: HUM_FORUM: FWIW...
      To: humforum@yahoogroup s.com
      Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 5:35 PM

      Eh? What microwave pulsing? From where and from what? At what frequencies?
      How does 217 Hz fit in? That's nowhere near microwave frequencies.
      What power is amped up to transmit to base stations? From where and to where? At what frequencies?
      How does "leaking into the environment" fit in? If it is "amped up to transmit to the base stations" it is electromagnetic and can't be "leaking" because it's already there.
      This is all very nebulous.
      Zack

      This is microwave pulsing causing buzzing, that can be interpreted as a siren because it is constant. It is a bio active frequency which is the 217Hz. Do some research on this frequency. It is considered a carcinogenic frequency. The power of this frequency is amped up to transmit to the base stations. It is leaking into the evironment and radiating on all the utility lines. It has to be described in greater detail than just a hum though. This is too generic.

      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2010
        Hi Bill,

        Thanks.  I followed your first two paragraphs fairly well, but the rest was far beyond me.  I just can't study this kind of science at that level.  I was the top math student in my high school days and GM actively recruited me for their engineering school, but I chose the soft science of the mind, psychology.  I loved math then but don't remember much of the trig and calculus.  Please read my post to Zack; possibly you can provide some info that's lay person friendly, more at my level of understanding as you perceive it to be in my posting.  You, I believe can help me and others a lot with this Bill.  Please be patient with my ignorance in this area of science.

        Thanks,

        Donna

        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2010

          Hi Bill,

          Correction to previous posting: GM tried recruiting me into their school of engineering, but I chose not to  attend it.

          Donna

          Message 4 of 26 , May 10, 2010
            Thanks Carole I needed to hear that.

            One thing is bothering me tho. Any idea how a soundcard could be detecting an FM radio wave?

            I have a presumably bad audio cable (~1 meter). I was recording using a Mic when I noticed alot of noise being recorded. I disconnected the mic entirely and recorded the noise and then normalized the audio with my sound editor. All this was done at my PC. There in the noise was an FM broadcast. It was a religious station 3 miles away.

            Ironically the recorded message said they were determined to bring their message to every person on earth. No kidding! This is the stuff conspiracy theories are made of (lol).

            Jay T

            "Carole C" <CcSelene7@...> wrote:

            > There's a difference between audible acoustic (sound) waves and electromagnetic (radio) waves. Radio transmitters do not transmit sound waves, they transmit radio waves. You need a device such as a radio which turns the energy back into sound waves before you can hear it.
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves
            >
            > Carole
            >
            > "There is no tree in the forest that is straight, though all are reaching for the light, and trying to grow straight."
            > Ernest Thompson Seton, The Gospel of the Redman

          • Zack Widup
            Message 5 of 26 , May 10, 2010
              Any kind of nonlinear device in the circuit could cause that to happen. A poor connection could possibly be acting as a diode.

              I've seen telephones, answering machines and CD players pick up local AM and FM stations. They are poorly shielded for RF, if at all.

              Zack

              "Carole C" <CcSelene7@...> wrote:

              > There's a difference between audible acoustic (sound) waves and electromagnetic (radio) waves.  Radio transmitters do not transmit sound waves, they transmit radio waves.  You need a device such as a radio which turns the energy back into sound waves before you can hear it.
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves
              >
              > Carole
              >
              > "There is no tree in the forest that is straight, though all are reaching for the light, and trying to grow straight."
              > Ernest Thompson Seton, The Gospel of the Redman

            • Carole C
              Message 6 of 26 , May 10, 2010
                I see Zack already addressed your question, and he's a far better resource than I am when it comes to anything
                to do with radios and electronics. I'm a real newby when it comes to radios, just studying now for my first
                Amateur license!

                Those stories we've all heard about people's dental fillings picking up radio signals comes to mind... Now if
                somebody were hearing religious broadcasts in their head, they'd REALLY be freaked out! :-)

                Carole

                "Carole C" <CcSelene7@...> wrote:

                > There's a difference between audible acoustic (sound) waves and electromagnetic (radio) waves. Radio
                > transmitters do not transmit sound waves, they transmit radio waves. You need a device such as a radio
                > which turns the energy back into sound waves before you can hear it.
                >
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
                >
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves
                >
                > Carole
              • jay
                Message 7 of 26 , May 10, 2010
                  Facinating, Zack,

                  I thought FM required much more circuitry to detect. But I see this would be the case where fedility, etc., were expected. At the risk of sliding off topic too much I found a link

                  http://www.somerset.net/arm/fm_only_lowtech.html

                  which explains slope detection using only a diode and a tuned circuit for FM.

                  This may explain why a 'long life light bulb' in the lamp on my night-stand used to sound like there was a mosquito flying around inside of it when all was quiet. Presumably the bulb had a PN jucntion in there (allowing it to run on flucting DC) and happened to be situated in ideal conditions; conditions which might best be refered to as 'Jay Tee's triangle'.

                  Thanks for the feedback!

                  Jay T.

                  Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@...> wrote:

                  > Any kind of nonlinear device in the circuit could cause that to happen. A
                  > poor connection could possibly be acting as a diode.
                  >
                  > I've seen telephones, answering machines and CD players pick up local AM and
                  > FM stations. They are poorly shielded for RF, if at all.
                  >
                  > Zack
                  >
                  > On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:43 AM, jay <jaytee110180@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks Carole I needed to hear that.
                  > >
                  > > One thing is bothering me tho. Any idea how a soundcard could be detecting
                  > > an FM radio wave?
                  > >
                  > > I have a presumably bad audio cable (~1 meter). I was recording using a Mic
                  > > when I noticed alot of noise being recorded. I disconnected the mic entirely
                  > > and recorded the noise and then normalized the audio with my sound editor.
                  > > All this was done at my PC. There in the noise was an FM broadcast. It was a
                  > > religious station 3 miles away.
                  > >
                  > > Ironically the recorded message said they were determined to bring their
                  > > message to every person on earth. No kidding! This is the stuff conspiracy
                  > > theories are made of (lol).
                  > >
                  > > Jay T
                  > >

                  > > "Carole C" <CcSelene7@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > There's a difference between audible acoustic (sound) waves and
                  > > electromagnetic (radio) waves. Radio transmitters do not transmit sound
                  > > waves, they transmit radio waves. You need a device such as a radio which
                  > > turns the energy back into sound waves before you can hear it.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
                  > > >
                  > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves
                  > > >
                  > > > Carole
                  > > >
                  > > > "There is no tree in the forest that is straight, though all are reaching
                  > > for the light, and trying to grow straight."
                  > > > Ernest Thompson Seton, The Gospel of the Redman

                • Tom Becker
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 10, 2010
                    > ... explains slope detection using only a diode and a tuned circuit
                    for FM...

                    Slope detection can happen, yes, and unintentional rectification (like
                    through a corroded connection) can demodulate sufficiently-large signals
                    (and, BTW, mix (intermodulate), or remodulate, and reradiate).

                    Broadcast FM signals are not always just FM'd, though; they often carry
                    a significant AM component, too. AM can be generated anywhere in the
                    broadcast RF chain, from exciter to antenna. A mistuned broadcast
                    transmit antenna, for example, will generate AM on an FM signal radiated
                    from it by the transmit-equivalent of slope detection; the antenna
                    behaves differently for different frequencies so, as the exciter shifts
                    the carrier frequency as it should, the antenna works irregularly well,
                    making AM. A similar effect can cause a broadcast directional radiation
                    pattern to shift with modulation, also generating AM in receivers on the
                    slopes of the moving pattern. And, a mistuned transmitter generates AM.

                    So, the AM you hear on an FM signal might be transmitted that way - and
                    today, many broadcasters (perhaps most) no longer have an engineer on
                    staff, so the transmitter might not have been tuned for some time.

                    Tom