The Hum

  • throbandhum
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 2, 2010
      I recall hearing this kind of hum over 30 years ago.
      It sounded very much like a refrigerator but the sound was definitely amplified through walls. You could n't get it out of your head and it definitely drove you mad.I recall buying a sound meter from Tandy's in Birmingham so you can tell how long ago that was.
      The sound meter did nt help as there were too many other sounds that interfered and you could nt differentiate one sound from another.
      It was a very low sound that i only heard at night and it was rhythmical.It went in a sort of wave from high to low to high.It was almost like a spinning wheel that has the kind of doppler effect of high going to low then high but quickly.
      I did n't hear it for very long but it was long enough for it to bother me.It may a have been two or three weeks or more, i cant recall now because it has been such a long time.
      My hearing was very acute in those days, not like it is now and i had better hearing in one ear than another. I had it tested and it had a good range. The sound however was more inside ones head that from a positive hearing source. Strangely enough i never heard it in the daytime but i did hear a sort of ticking/clicking sound inside my head that was about that time too. That eventually subsided and i never heard either again thereafter.
      I can only describe it as a very low throbbing/pulsing and humming sound which remained more or less constant and had the effect of making you concentrate on it even though all you wanted to do was go to sleep. Very strange indeed. It occurred over a period of time and then simply went.
      It seems like a sound but is more of a resonance. Its hard to explain, if you have nt heard it yourself.
      Message 40 of 40 , May 11, 2015
        I searched on B&N and only saw "The hum and shiver..."

        Sent from Steve's iPhone and I appologize for typo's and auto corrects

        On May 9, 2015, at 5:26 PM, Ralph Anderson ralph.anderson52@... [humforum] <humforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        There is a new E Book called 'The Hum' available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, ebookit, ibooks. It is a science fiction short story about the hum. Check it out.