HUM_FORUM: Re: Earth Hour and the hum

  • patty94@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 30, 2010
      Hi Tom; Good to hear from you. I haven't got to visit yet but I'm hoping to. If only for my own research and sanity. I had read that they are very proactive at keeping the area clean of radio waves. I had also been warned that the observatory has it's own sound that it generates because of the amount of electricity it uses.
      I still think it would be worth the effort to check though.
      Happy Easter
      Patty
    • Donna Few
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7, 2010
        Hi Mark,

        You must keep in mind that the earth and heavenly bodies, themselves, emit electromagnetic energy.  At my old house, black outs arranged by the power company, did not stop the hum, but that does not mean it is not connected with electromagnetic energy.

        Donna

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7, 2010
          Hi Zack,

          Good point!

          Donna

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7, 2010
            Patty,

            I believe that it is our sensitivity to electromagnetics which allows us to hear the hum and/or microwave hearing.  What do you think of that idea?

            Donna

            > Millions of people, in 4,000 cities in more than 120 countries
            > participated in switching lights off across the world to mark the Earth
            > Hour event. During this time the hum was normal and there was no change,
            > (hum2 marbella spain, http://twitter.com/GlobalHum
            > <http://twitter.com/GlobalHum>  ). This helps to rule out that the hum
            > is caused by electromagnetism. (Although the Earth Hour event was
            > staggered sequentially over time zones and not a simultaneous event.)
            >
            > Did anyone else notice that the hum was normal on Sat?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Mark Russell
            >Hi Mark;  Yeah I was listening, listened last year too.
            Unfortunately it is only some lights that were turned off.
            The real test would be to turn off the telecommunication and cell-wifi towers.  Oh, to visit the National Quiet Zone.  I don't know about other countries but here in Ontario Canada they have trunked off electricity and have back-up power sources for telecommunications.
            Have you read about the Microwave Auditory Effect or Frey Effect?
            I think that's what the Hum is,all the institutions concerned with non-ionizing radiation and amplitude modulation have studied whether this hearing effect is a health hazard.
            They have come to the conclusion (although wrong) that it is not a health hazard it does not cause cancer or directly manifest as a disease unto it's self.  So they say it's safe.
            Try having a look at reports about people suffering from electromagnetics hypersensitivities, except for the hum the symptoms are almost exact.
            Thanks for being in touch we all need the support.
            Patty

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                humforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
                humforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • patty94@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 8, 2010
              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Donna Few <profitzzzz@...> wrote:

              > Patty,
              >
              > I believe that it is our sensitivity to electromagnetics which allows us to hear the hum and/or microwave hearing.  What do you think of that idea?
              >
              > Donna
              > Hi Donna:
              Yes, I think the two are related electrohypersensitivity and the hum.
              Hum hearers only difference is the tuning of our cochleas for what ever difference that might be.
              I have never been able to successfully wear a watch, I have always drained them of the energy. I could live with that, I could live with going outside away from electricity too. It's really strange my father always told me electricity was evil and I use to argue with him.
              I do beleive that the keys to understanding hypersensitivity are located in the same areas researched for Microwave Auditory effect.

              Today I am going to research the photoelectric theory and how light imparts energy. Pulsed electromagnetics is energy.

              Patty

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 8, 2010
                Hi Donna,

                I appreciate that the hum may be caused by the world's many types of electromagnetic devices. But what I don't understand is how high Hz electromagnetic frequencies can be converted down to low Hz, which then produces exactly the same noise as a distant rumbling diesel engine.

                I don't understand how radio waves, micro waves, cell phone transmitters and electrical grids, can produce sounds like a diesel engine, more, than do all the world's mechanical devices. Although, some electrical devices such as transformers do produce a hum, even still, the world's total mechanical devices create far more noise.

                It is really good that organizations such as NRQZ (http://www.gb.nrao.edu/nrqz/nrqz.shtml ) are making us aware of electromagnetic pollution. But I feel that the source of the hum, what we can hear, is JUST what it sounds like... The total combined effect of all the world's mechanical devices.

                Maybe the cause of the hum is caused by electromagnetism. But can electromagnetism, on its own, cause this annoying acoustic sound? Surely the source of the hum must also include mechanical noise pollution.

                I have learned more about how sound works. The following has helped me a great deal;

                Sound Waves and their Sources (1933)
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK2-6cgqgYA

                And; When sound waves that are out of tune are overlapped in a system they interact with each other and create beats.

                Please have a look at the last part of this excellent four part documentary, 'Light Fantastic', by the BBC. This documentary is about light, but there is a part in it that makes sense of sound, which is demonstrated really well in the forth episode.

                Go to http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5835689156363106237#  - and play from 16:30 to 20:00.

                All the world's mechanical devices are similar, but are slightly different, and so are out of tune with each other. Ships and trucks do sound similar, but their noise is different, and so out of tune. And their combined sound waves do interact, and will produce beats, or a throb. Which, at such low frequency, can travel for vast distances.

                For me, this explains the throbbing effect of the hum.

                BTW, if you would like to watch all the episodes of 'Light Fantastic'...
                http://and.as/light1
                http://and.as/light2
                http://and.as/light3
                http://and.as/light4

                Also BTW! did anyone else enjoy the past Easter week-end? where the hum was zero! April 2nd to 5th.

                Cheers,
                Mark

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Donna Few <profitzzzz@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mark,
                >
                > You must keep in mind that the earth and heavenly bodies, themselves, emit electromagnetic energy.  At my old house, black outs arranged by the power company, did not stop the hum, but that does not mean it is not connected with electromagnetic energy.
                >
                > Donna

              • Zack Widup
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 8, 2010
                  I don't quite understand the mechanism of some people being able to hear anything from a microwave signal either, but I'm wlling to admit the reports of it might be true. I am an RF/microwave engineer but not a doctor or expert in the human body.

                  I'm still in awe of the mechanism of biological transmutations. There have been many documented occurrences of that.

                  Zack

                  On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Mark <hum@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  For me, this explains the throbbing effect of the hum.

                  BTW, if you would like to watch all the episodes of 'Light Fantastic'...
                  http://and.as/light1
                  http://and.as/light2
                  http://and.as/light3
                  http://and.as/light4

                  Also BTW! did anyone else enjoy the past Easter week-end? where the hum was zero! April 2nd to 5th.

                  Cheers,
                  Mark

                  --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Donna Few <profitzzzz@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Mark,
                  >
                  > You must keep in mind that the earth and heavenly bodies, themselves, emit electromagnetic energy.  At my old house, black outs arranged by the power company, did not stop the hum, but that does not mean it is not connected with electromagnetic energy.

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 8, 2010
                    Oops. Please excuse me. Here are the corrected shortended URLs for 'Light Fantastic'

                    http://and.as/light1/
                    http://and.as/light2/
                    http://and.as/light3/
                    http://and.as/light4/

                    Cheers,
                    mark

                  • Tom Becker
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 12, 2010
                      > ... I feel that the source of the hum, what we can hear, is JUST what it sounds like... The total combined effect of all the world's mechanical devices...

                      Compare, for instance, the first pair of samples, one from the UK and one from the US (listen with headphones). Listen to both channels, then remove the headphone from one ear, then the other. Reverse the headphones and do that again. While similar, they are not the same.

                      Tom
                    • Mike Hebel
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 12, 2010
                        On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:23 PM 4/8/10, Zack Widup wrote:

                        > I don't quite understand the mechanism of some people being able to
                        > hear anything from a microwave signal either, but I'm wlling to
                        > admit the reports of it might be true. I am an RF/microwave engineer
                        > but not a doctor or expert in the human body.

                        I'm just a beat-up old I/T guy but I'm fairly good at aggregate data
                        sorting in the noggin and the best I can come up with regarding the
                        microwave thing is one of two things. Either:

                        1) The microwaves are making a resonance in some material in the earth
                        or buildings or some-such that hits sensitive people on a subsonic
                        level.

                        or

                        2) Some people are sensitive to the vibration of the liquid in their
                        bodies and the increase of the 2.4ghz spectrum in the world is causing
                        a problem with them on that level. This in my mind would explain the
                        "It feels like my entire body is vibrating." phenomenon.

                        Regardless I'm speculating and like Zack am not a doctor or expert in
                        the human body.

                        > I'm still in awe of the mechanism of biological transmutations.
                        > There have been many documented occurrences of that.

                        Same here. The universe is infinite in its variety and humans among
                        other beings reflect that quite nicely. :-)

                        --
                        Mike

                        MARS NEEDS CHOCOS! - Martian Manhunter
                      • pictoblu
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 12, 2010
                          Greetings All,

                          A friend sent me this link which demonstrates some of the various sounds that electrosmog makes on a specific meter:

                          http://www.detect-protect.com/k/buzz/listen.htm

                          Next is the electrosmog meter. I bought it from a supplier here in the States. I'm not writing to sell anything, just relaying my experience.

                          http://www.lessemf.com/rf2.html#442

                          Anyway, I was able to go for a drive today with my electrosmog meter and I was blown away. Very few places around here where I drove are free of this electrosmog. I heard various combinations of the various sounds. Rarely did I hear just one of the sounds. It's just that we do not hear it like the sounds the meter makes. The thing is, these frequencies are all around us, most all of the time and just about everywhere in a large city. I drove thru Atlanta, and also in a couple of suburbs. It was a real awakening for me.

                          Also want to mention that in some places the meter went off and there was no visible tower nor antenna anywhere in view. This is not a trifield meter (I do have one of those) and this electrosmog meter does not measure common electromagnetic fields like from overhead wiring as the trifield does.

                          These specific sounds were not audible to me without the meter, but it's possible that my brain and the rest of my body did interpret the frequencies and produced a sound/combo of sounds, as a reaction to receiving the frequencies, thus producing a hum, the hum. (I hope this makes sense to you all, re: my trying to explain this experience I had today.)

                          I do realize that folks have heard the hum for well over 20 years, which is long before such proliferation of the wireless technology. However, the hum probably is a combination of so many factors that the more machines, turbines, windings/transformers, wireless communications, all that and more, combined, more and more people will be hearing the hum, over time.

                          Also, thanks to those who responded to when I had mentioned that I hear a clicking sometimes, besides the hum. Sometimes I do take decongestants and also sometimes anti-histamines, and they do not seem to relieve the symptoms. The clicking is random, have not been able to pinpoint any cause, yet.

                          Thanks and regards, Julie

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 18, 2010
                            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "pictoblu" <pictoblu@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            >
                            > Thanks and regards, Julie
                            >

                            > > > I appreciate that the hum may be caused by the world's many types of
                            > > > electromagnetic devices. But what I don't understand is how high Hz
                            > > > electromagnetic frequencies can be converted down to low Hz, which
                            > > then
                            > > > produces exactly the same noise as a distant rumbling diesel engine.
                            > > >
                            > > > I don't understand how radio waves, micro waves, cell phone
                            > > transmitters
                            > > > and electrical grids, can produce sounds like a diesel engine, more,
                            > > > than do all the world's mechanical devices. Although, some electrical
                            > > > devices such as transformers do produce a hum, even still, the world's
                            > > > total mechanical devices create far more noise.

                            Hi Julie;
                            I know nothing about Hz. Microwaves are light waves, the unseen spectrum of light. Light can go thru a vacuum; sound waves can not.
                            The click could have something to do with radar-see the Frey Effect.
                            I think the different wave forms have different sounds ( for some of us anyway)
                            You will have to judge for yourself.
                            I think the diesel sound is just a perception of the inner ear, it has nothing to do with ordinary sound waves that come thru the outer ear. Papers written by J.C. Lin, Microwave Auditory Effect and Papers by Henry Lai, Neurological Effects of Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Radiation explain the concept best (to me anyway)

                            From what I have read, it is a an accepted side effect in the world of science. Another paper: Human Auditory Perception of Pulsed Radiofrequency Energy, By J.A. Elder and C.K. Chou, Motorola Florida Research Laboratories.

                            All really that needs to be proved is whether it is harmful to life and in what manner that it degrades the quality of life.

                            Take care
                            Patty
                          • pictoblu
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 20, 2010
                              Patty,

                              **I know nothing about Hz. Microwaves are light waves, the unseen spectrum of light. Light can go thru a vacuum; sound waves can not.**

                              Simply stated, hz is the abbreviation for hertz. Hertz is the unit of measurement for frequency. Generally accepted frequency range for microwaves is 300 megahertz (MHz) to 300 gigahertz (GHz).
                              ---------

                              **I think the different wave forms have different sounds ( for some of us anyway)You will have to judge for yourself. **

                              Anyone with a computer can download a free copy of the NHC tone generator and set it to play different wave forms at varying frequencies, thus proving that the different wave forms sound differently as do different freq's.
                              ---------

                              **All really that needs to be proved is whether it is harmful to life and in what manner that it degrades the quality of life.**

                              Here's some usa .gov info on radio frequencies (RF) and microwave (MW) frequencies, and also RF and MW health related information.
                              http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/

                              Researchers proved long ago that exposures to these frequencies can and do cause health problems. However, most of the research data has come from Europe because industry in the USA paid big bucks to hide the bad news from the public here. However, as more and more people in the usa get sicker and sicker, research information is finally becoming available from within the usa. European websites still reveal more data than those here in the usa, however, because they have been around longer.

                              Thanks for writing.
                              Cheers, Julie

                            • patty94@ymail.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 21, 2010
                                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "pictoblu" <pictoblu@...> wrote:

                                > Patty,
                                >
                                > **I know nothing about Hz. Microwaves are light waves, the unseen spectrum of light. Light can go thru a vacuum; sound waves can not.**
                                >
                                > Simply stated, hz is the abbreviation for hertz. Hertz is the unit of measurement for frequency. Generally accepted frequency range for microwaves is 300 megahertz (MHz) to 300 gigahertz (GHz).
                                > ---------
                                >
                                > **I think the different wave forms have different sounds ( for some of us anyway)You will have to judge for yourself. **
                                >
                                > Anyone with a computer can download a free copy of the NHC tone generator and set it to play different wave forms at varying frequencies, thus proving that the different wave forms sound differently as do different freq's.
                                > ---------
                                >
                                > **All really that needs to be proved is whether it is harmful to life and in what manner that it degrades the quality of life.**
                                >
                                > Here's some usa .gov info on radio frequencies (RF) and microwave (MW) frequencies, and also RF and MW health related information.
                                > http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/
                                >
                                > Researchers proved long ago that exposures to these frequencies can and do cause health problems. However, most of the research data has come from Europe because industry in the USA paid big bucks to hide the bad news from the public here. However, as more and more people in the usa get sicker and sicker, research information is finally becoming available from within the usa. European websites still reveal more data than those here in the usa, however, because they have been around longer.
                                >

                                > Thanks for writing.
                                > Cheers, Julie
                                >
                                > Hi Julie; I knew nothing about any of this - Just had to find out about this infernal HUM.
                                I rely on a European source also. When the axe comes down my witness to being victimized is on file.
                                I had read an account of possibly why it is different sounds that we hear too. The different frequencies, head size, hearing ability, vicousity of organs and thier connecting in our brains (completly in laymans terms).
                                Made sense to me.
                                Have you read these two papers
                                http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fegi?artid=1849947
                                http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2006/9633/9633.html
                                If they felt it and heard it they would know it is so much more.
                                Patty

                                > > Hi Julie;
                                > > I know nothing about Hz. Microwaves are light waves, the unseen spectrum of light. Light can go thru a vacuum; sound waves can not.
                                > > The click could have something to do with radar-see the Frey Effect.
                                > > I think the different wave forms have different sounds ( for some of us anyway)
                                > > You will have to judge for yourself.
                                > > I think the diesel sound is just a perception of the inner ear, it has nothing to do with ordinary sound waves that come thru the outer ear. Papers written by J.C. Lin, Microwave Auditory Effect and Papers by Henry Lai, Neurological Effects of Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Radiation explain the concept best (to me anyway)
                                > >
                                > > From what I have read, it is a an accepted side effect in the world of science. Another paper: Human Auditory Perception of Pulsed Radiofrequency Energy, By J.A. Elder and C.K. Chou, Motorola Florida Research Laboratories.
                                > >
                                > > All really that needs to be proved is whether it is harmful to life and in what manner that it degrades the quality of life.
                                > >
                                > > Take care
                                > > Patty

                              • Donna Few
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 22, 2010
                                  Hi Mark,

                                  I see what you mean. I too have thought about interactions of things in the environment contributing to the hum, for example, amplifying it.  This is why I've been concerned about swimming pools, pumps and whatever connecting mechanisms pools have.  Not only the mechanics/electrical parts, but even the physical structure of pools.  Swimming pools, with underground structure (dug outs), create a hole in the ground and a bowl shaped hollow infrastructure (for lack of a better word).  This type of formation can probably create a certain type of physics conducive to production of certain kinds of sound (e.g. echo).  I'm not a physical scientist, so it's hard for me to explain; you probably know what I'm trying to say.

                                  In a similar sense,  geological areas such as valleys surrounded by mountains create a bowl shaped physical environment in which sound energy and/or electromagnetic energy can be captured within circular like boundaries.  Sound/energy trapped between the walls of the mountains possibly become concentrated in the valley and bounce off the mountainous walls to create a repetitive echo.  Perhaps these sort of conditions help to create the hum in certain areas.  So check out the general geography of your neighborhood and the immediate elements in the neighborhood, such as swimming pools next door to you or in you own backyard.  These environmental conditions, I believe might play a role in how the original sources of the hum conduct themselves and in some cases actually create the hum.

> [...]

                                  For me, this explains the throbbing effect of the hum.

                                  BTW, if you would like to watch all the episodes of 'Light Fantastic'...
                                  http://and.as/light1
                                  http://and.as/light2
                                  http://and.as/light3
                                  http://and.as/light4

                                  Also BTW! did anyone else enjoy the past Easter week-end? where the hum was zero! April 2nd to 5th.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Mark

                                  --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Donna Few <profitzzzz@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Mark,
                                  >
                                  > You must keep in mind that the earth and heavenly bodies, themselves, emit electromagnetic energy.  At my old house, black outs arranged by the power company, did not stop the hum, but that does not mean it is not connected with electromagnetic energy.

                                • Donna Few
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 22, 2010
                                    Mark,

                                    Thanks for all the info resources.  I don't understand most of the science of sound, etc. but I try to comprehend some of what comes my way.

                                    Donna

> [...]

                                    > For me, this explains the throbbing effect of the hum.
                                    >
                                    > BTW, if you would like to watch all the episodes of 'Light Fantastic'...
                                    > http://and.as/light1 <http://and.as/light1%20>
                                    > http://and.as/light2 <http://and.as/light2%20>
                                    > http://and.as/light3 <http://and.as/light3%20>
                                    > http://and.as/light4 <http://and.as/light4%20>
                                    >
                                    > Also BTW! did anyone else enjoy the past Easter week-end? where the hum
                                    > was zero! April 2nd to 5th.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    > Mark
                                    >
                                    > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Donna Few profitzzzz@ wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Mark,
                                    > >
                                    > > You must keep in mind that the earth and heavenly bodies, themselves,
                                    > emit electromagnetic energy. At my old house, black outs arranged by
                                    > the power company, did not stop the hum, but that does not mean it is
                                    > not connected with electromagnetic energy.

                                  • Donna Few
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 22, 2010
                                      Mike,

                                      Your premise about microwaves interacting with something in the environment grabs my interest.  The sound/vibrations hum at my old house was described as subsonic by one engineer.  Also, there was some suspicion that the neighbor's swimming pool was connected with the problem.  Please read what I posted earlier today.  What thoughts do you have on my posting and/or other details please on your theory # 1.

                                      Donna

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 22, 2010
                                        Hey Patty,

                                        This is very enlightening for me.  A basic bit of info for many perhaps, but I don't know anything about microwaves; now I know they are part of light waves.  This is beginning to make more sense.  Also that point about permeability is good info.  I never liked physical sciences much, but in my later adults I became interested and attentive to it.  I still don't study it in serious sense.

                                        Thanks,

                                        Donna