Glad I found this forum... I think.

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2009
      I just moved to a new location, (Etna, NY) and started waking up at 2 am hearing an idling diesel engine ... maybe it was a generator or a big truck?  Never found it of course :-(        Neighbors didn't quite think I was crazy... there are some noise possibilities (gas line, highway etc) but no night-time diesel engines!

      But I did find this forum, and as a scientist this all intrigues me.   The descriptions in the Hum Report Paper are right on.  Exactly what I am "hearing".

      But seeing that there is nothing you can do but maybe mask with more noise.... not so great.

      I would like to find what is turning this on and off, and turn it off.

      Richard
    • Adolphius
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2009
        Same here. I live across from Universal Studios (Orlando Florida) and it sounds like an idling diesel engine. It appears to have a frequency of around 60 - 120 hZ. From time to time the amplitude changes and sometime it sounds like the load changes.