The hum in San Rafael, CA

  • Roberto
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
      I started to hear this hum earlier this week. Since then, I wake up in the middle of the night and try to follow the noise. All appliances are off. It seems to be stronger on the living room and in the room closer to the street. I just hear the noise inside my home. When I go outside, I don't hear anything. The hum goes away at 8am.

      Is there any consultant that could help me out? Is there any noise cancellation device in the market?
    • Carole C
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
        You sure you're not picking up a hum from a transformer? Does the sound taper off, or is it loud and then
        just suddenly shuts off at 8:00 am? That could be a clue... (Some device that produces a hum when it's in
        "stand-by" mode, but the hum goes away when the device is turned on?)

        I have an active noise-cancelling headset. Mine is made by Audio-Technica, but they're also made by Bose and
        probably other companies as well. It doesn't do anything to cancel the hum... The hum just seems louder when
        background noise is cancelled out.

        You might try a "white noise" device instead. I have one that's sold by Hammacher Schlemmer that's just a
        simple box with a fan inside, and holes in the top and sides. It produces a simple wind noise, and can be
        adjusted to alter the sound. I thought it worked pretty well to cancel the hum, and I liked it better than
        the electronic "recordings" of ocean and/or water noises. (If you're interested, it's item no. 60586 at
        www.hammacher.com. You might be able to find it, or similar items, elsewhere too.)

        Carole

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
          Hi folks,

              Several years ago I made RF measurments on a ridge at San Rafael for a group of citizens who were trying to prevent MERA from consolidating antennas for public safety services all over Marin County into a specified area on Dollar Hill.  In spite of the evidence that under some conditions the RF radiation levels would exceed FCC limits, the San Rafael City Council voted to permit MERA to do this.  Even without MERA, there were sufficient other RF sources on the ridge to force roped off areas on the public that could hiking and dog walking in some areas near transmitters.  With such busy RF emitters all overthe ridge, I suspect that your problem may be related to "Microwave Hearing."  Over perhaps 60 years, many papers have been written on this phenomenon, starting with Dr. Allen Frey.  Look on Google.

          Regards, Bill Curry
          Retired Physicist

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4582 (20091107) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
            I thought that it was from the transformer too. But when I go to the street, I don't hear anything. Thanks for the tip of the white noise device. I will check it out. The noise goes away at 8 AM. Last night I didn't hear anything. I am not sure if it was because I was so tired and nothing could wake me up or if the hum was gone.

            Btw, my wife hears the hum too.

            Roberto

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
              Interesting. But why do I hear the hum only during the night? Maybe low frequencies propagate better during the night, when it is colder?

              Roberto