Re: HUM_FORUM: Recording of the Brandon FL Hum (approx 2 1/2 hours ago) posted in Files section

  • Donna Few
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2009
      Congrats to you Greenhorn,

      I have not listened to your recording yet, but this development will surely echo throughout the world.  It seems like, you have achieved something great!  I rely on my son to do certain processes on the computer, that's why I didn't listen yet.  I look forward to hearing from others who listened to your recording.  Myself, I hear the hum as a consistent pulsating sound, as many others apparently do; it sounds like you made reference to the two distinct sounds on your posting.  This is so exciting.  I'm wondering if it is possible to modify, of course save original first, your recording to minimize the foreground or background; I'm not sure which, sound of it.  This type of modification might give us some glues as to the source of the sound.  I won't go into detail now, but some recordings that were made at my home did have a consistent sound yet not similar to how my ears were experiencing the hum.  So my thoughts were that the persistent sounds on my recordings were perhaps more directly connected to the source of the hum.   These sounds were recorded by a musical engineer, than played, amplified, on recording studio speaker system.  How can a sound be recorded on a computer program and then when listened to have a very different quality? This probably has a simple answer, as I've thought it reasonable just intuititivly without knowledge of the technology/science behind it.  Also, I recall reading something to support the idea that the quality of sound as experienced/translated from one medium (e.g. human hear vs computer) to another can be different; seems only logical to me. At any rate, I'd be interested what you produce in a translation of your recording, or simply another recording of "your" hum, onto a computer program called, guitar ...something or other; I don't recall at the moment.  Anyway, I'd be interested in what you come up with; if it turns out to be the same sound my musical engineer came up with we might be moving forward even another step forward, one in which source is indicated.  Again, you work is well appreciated and I'm inspired by it.

      Sincerely,

      Donna