hum at brandon, florida

  • marciacarter86
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2009
      hello in brandon, i was in brandon, florida just yesterday morning. i heard the hum there and also at the ocean, at longboat key. my flight from tampa international airport was delayed for 3 hours and the hum was really strong at the airport. it was also significantly loud at the beach. i had to buy a fan to run while i was staying in that area. i also run a loud fan at home, while the noise is going on. i arrived at 2115 hrs at indianapolis international and was bothered by the hum but when i arrived home the noise was ten times louder. i live approximately 80 miles away from the indianapolis airport. the noise stopped around midnight and did not start back up until around noon today(monday, aug. 31). i'm not sure any of this information will be helpful or shed any light on anything. if it helps to know, this has impacted my life to the point that i can work, shop and rest at home,with a fan on to mask the noise and vibration. i no longer accept invitations for social activity because i never know when the noise will be going on. i never heard this noise before april,2008. i have tried to find out what may have happened to coincide with the start of the noise in that time frame but to no avail. god bless, marcia
    • Donna Few
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4 1:00 AM
        Hi Macia,

        I feel your pain also; this is such a hardship on us sufferers. I agree that masking the noise helps.  I find it interesting, however, that you heard the hum at a noisy air part. Keep in mind that our brain has the ability to store memories, including anything that enters our 5 senses.  A repetitive sound, like the hum or a song  can be recalled or re-experienced in a sense, simply because it is stored in your memory (brain).  Therefore, people can tap into that place where the experience/sensation is stored and trigger a sense of re-experiencing it.  Consider Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), if  you're familiar  with what that is, you will understand what I mean.  In other words, we can access what is stored in our brain's memory bank and feel like we're experiencing again when we actually are not.  I've considered this when reading other forum postings about how they hear the hum in so many places.  I too listened for the hum in other places, but most often didn't hear it. I also believed that I might begin to imagine to hear it in many more places, if I continued to be exposed to it over a long period of time.  Think about it.

        Sincerely,

        Donna

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional