Re: Low grade humming

  • zaday
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2009
      Hi,

      We have heard the HUM for about a year, myself and my wife. We would be
      aware of it at the same time, and acknowledge it was missing at the same
      time, in other words, it seems to be a real world event.

      The forum has not been as active lately, certainly not as active as it
      has previously been. I suspect that part of the reason is the good
      weather, people spending time away from their computers.

      Another reason has been a periodic but almost dogmatic assertion by a
      forum member that there is only one cause of the HUM. Please be advised
      that most members entertain various possibilities, and they will, I am
      sure, return to posting when the weather turns colder. Do not loose
      hope, fellow sufferers are to be found here. DO NOT be put off by any
      individual forum member.

      My wife and I are currently HUM free, but I can sympathize with your
      plight. I am sure that it will return to us again one day. Please note
      that we also heard the HUM in various locations, some 100 or so miles
      apart. Same damn noise, different place.

      Be well.

      Jim

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <ctgardengirl@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I just found this group today, and I'm so relieved to find I'm not
      nuts. I've had this problem for a few years now. It's pretty much only
      in my right ear. It's intermittent. Some days, or weeks will go by,
      and I don't even notice it.
      > Today, it's to the point of being painful. It even feels like my ear
      is getting hot, but perhaps that's because I keep trying to muffle the
      sound with whatever I can think of - kleenex, ear plugs, fingers... of
      course, nothing really works well.
      > Today, it's been raining nonstop. The windows are open. It's July. I
      notice it mostly when cars are about to drive by and when they are
      driving by. I live near a cross roads, so sometimes the cars don't
      actually drive by the house, but it does mostly seem to coincide with
      the traffic. My house is 1/2 below road level - down a hillside
      somewhat. I did have ear drum damage as a kid in that ear. (punctured
      ear drum from a lilac tree - ouch!)But that was 30+ yrs ago.
      > Another thing I notice, that if I turn my head during the noise,
      sometimes it cuts it off, either for a few moments, or just a second.
      Also, I tried standing in the corner of my clothes closet - and seems to
      help sometimes. (I happened to be in there putting clothes away during
      'hum' moment) I can't really tell if it's because the hum has stopped
      temporarily, or if I was successful.
      > But today, it's actually painful. Maybe it's a combination of things.
      Weather, traffic patterns, what part of the house I'm in, whether the
      windows are open or closed (worse in winter - seems to just bounce
      around the walls and humming lasts longer) rarely hear it outdoors.
      Could this be due to lack of reflective objects, such as walls?
      > Also, I rarely notice it after 10 or 10:30pm. (I'm usually trying to
      go to sleep at this point.) I also live near an airport (Bradley in
      CT), but I have noticed it in NB, Canada while staying at my mother's,
      and they are further from an airport than I, and live in the country.
      But it could still be the cars driving by...
      > I also noticed it when living in Maine.
      > I thought for awhile it was because of the furnace - it's oil fired
      hot water, and I thought maybe the pipes in the house were emitting a
      low vibration at times. But when the power was off, I still heard the
      hum.
      > Thanks for listening. I'm relieved to find a community in which to
      find others who have the same problem.

    • auxsetreq
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2009
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "zaday" <zaday@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > windows are open or closed (worse in winter - seems to just bounce
        > around the walls and humming lasts longer) rarely hear it outdoors.
        > Could this be due to lack of reflective objects, such as walls?
        > > Also, I rarely notice it after 10 or 10:30pm. (I'm usually trying to
        > go to sleep at this point.) I also live near an airport (Bradley in
        > CT), but I have noticed it in NB, Canada while staying at my mother's,
        > and they are further from an airport than I, and live in the country.
        > But it could still be the cars driving by...
        > > I also noticed it when living in Maine.
        > > I thought for awhile it was because of the furnace - it's oil fired
        > hot water, and I thought maybe the pipes in the house were emitting a
        > low vibration at times. But when the power was off, I still heard the
        > hum.
        > > Thanks for listening. I'm relieved to find a community in which to

        I can't agree more. I too have heard, or as I prefer to put it " Sensed " The Hum all over the place. The same mmmMMMmmmmMMMMmmMMMMMmm in much of the UK, Europe and SE Asia. It's global, but I don't think the weather has anything to do with it. It's either on, off or somewhere in-between, and it would seem it's very much off at the moment. A worrying calm before the inevitable storm, I know this from experience because I've been in the Hum doldrums before.