Low grade humming

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2009
      Hi all,
      I just found this group today, and I'm so relieved to find I'm not nuts. I've had this problem for a few years now. It's pretty much only in my right ear. It's intermittent. Some days, or weeks will go by, and I don't even notice it.
      Today, it's to the point of being painful. It even feels like my ear is getting hot, but perhaps that's because I keep trying to muffle the sound with whatever I can think of - kleenex, ear plugs, fingers... of course, nothing really works well.
      Today, it's been raining nonstop. The windows are open. It's July. I notice it mostly when cars are about to drive by and when they are driving by. I live near a cross roads, so sometimes the cars don't actually drive by the house, but it does mostly seem to coincide with the traffic. My house is 1/2 below road level - down a hillside somewhat. I did have ear drum damage as a kid in that ear. (punctured ear drum from a lilac tree - ouch!)But that was 30+ yrs ago.
      Another thing I notice, that if I turn my head during the noise, sometimes it cuts it off, either for a few moments, or just a second. Also, I tried standing in the corner of my clothes closet - and seems to help sometimes. (I happened to be in there putting clothes away during 'hum' moment) I can't really tell if it's because the hum has stopped temporarily, or if I was successful.
      But today, it's actually painful. Maybe it's a combination of things. Weather, traffic patterns, what part of the house I'm in, whether the windows are open or closed (worse in winter - seems to just bounce around the walls and humming lasts longer) rarely hear it outdoors. Could this be due to lack of reflective objects, such as walls?
      Also, I rarely notice it after 10 or 10:30pm. (I'm usually trying to go to sleep at this point.) I also live near an airport (Bradley in CT), but I have noticed it in NB, Canada while staying at my mother's, and they are further from an airport than I, and live in the country. But it could still be the cars driving by...
      I also noticed it when living in Maine.
      I thought for awhile it was because of the furnace - it's oil fired hot water, and I thought maybe the pipes in the house were emitting a low vibration at times. But when the power was off, I still heard the hum.
      Thanks for listening. I'm relieved to find a community in which to find others who have the same problem.
    • zaday
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2009
        Hi,

        We have heard the HUM for about a year, myself and my wife. We would be
        aware of it at the same time, and acknowledge it was missing at the same
        time, in other words, it seems to be a real world event.

        The forum has not been as active lately, certainly not as active as it
        has previously been. I suspect that part of the reason is the good
        weather, people spending time away from their computers.

        Another reason has been a periodic but almost dogmatic assertion by a
        forum member that there is only one cause of the HUM. Please be advised
        that most members entertain various possibilities, and they will, I am
        sure, return to posting when the weather turns colder. Do not loose
        hope, fellow sufferers are to be found here. DO NOT be put off by any
        individual forum member.

        My wife and I are currently HUM free, but I can sympathize with your
        plight. I am sure that it will return to us again one day. Please note
        that we also heard the HUM in various locations, some 100 or so miles
        apart. Same damn noise, different place.

        Be well.

        Jim

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <ctgardengirl@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I just found this group today, and I'm so relieved to find I'm not
        nuts. I've had this problem for a few years now. It's pretty much only
        in my right ear. It's intermittent. Some days, or weeks will go by,
        and I don't even notice it.
        > Today, it's to the point of being painful. It even feels like my ear
        is getting hot, but perhaps that's because I keep trying to muffle the
        sound with whatever I can think of - kleenex, ear plugs, fingers... of
        course, nothing really works well.
        > Today, it's been raining nonstop. The windows are open. It's July. I
        notice it mostly when cars are about to drive by and when they are
        driving by. I live near a cross roads, so sometimes the cars don't
        actually drive by the house, but it does mostly seem to coincide with
        the traffic. My house is 1/2 below road level - down a hillside
        somewhat. I did have ear drum damage as a kid in that ear. (punctured
        ear drum from a lilac tree - ouch!)But that was 30+ yrs ago.
        > Another thing I notice, that if I turn my head during the noise,
        sometimes it cuts it off, either for a few moments, or just a second.
        Also, I tried standing in the corner of my clothes closet - and seems to
        help sometimes. (I happened to be in there putting clothes away during
        'hum' moment) I can't really tell if it's because the hum has stopped
        temporarily, or if I was successful.
        > But today, it's actually painful. Maybe it's a combination of things.
        Weather, traffic patterns, what part of the house I'm in, whether the
        windows are open or closed (worse in winter - seems to just bounce
        around the walls and humming lasts longer) rarely hear it outdoors.
        Could this be due to lack of reflective objects, such as walls?
        > Also, I rarely notice it after 10 or 10:30pm. (I'm usually trying to
        go to sleep at this point.) I also live near an airport (Bradley in
        CT), but I have noticed it in NB, Canada while staying at my mother's,
        and they are further from an airport than I, and live in the country.
        But it could still be the cars driving by...
        > I also noticed it when living in Maine.
        > I thought for awhile it was because of the furnace - it's oil fired
        hot water, and I thought maybe the pipes in the house were emitting a
        low vibration at times. But when the power was off, I still heard the
        hum.
        > Thanks for listening. I'm relieved to find a community in which to
        find others who have the same problem.

      • auxsetreq
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 2009
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "zaday" <zaday@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > windows are open or closed (worse in winter - seems to just bounce
          > around the walls and humming lasts longer) rarely hear it outdoors.
          > Could this be due to lack of reflective objects, such as walls?
          > > Also, I rarely notice it after 10 or 10:30pm. (I'm usually trying to
          > go to sleep at this point.) I also live near an airport (Bradley in
          > CT), but I have noticed it in NB, Canada while staying at my mother's,
          > and they are further from an airport than I, and live in the country.
          > But it could still be the cars driving by...
          > > I also noticed it when living in Maine.
          > > I thought for awhile it was because of the furnace - it's oil fired
          > hot water, and I thought maybe the pipes in the house were emitting a
          > low vibration at times. But when the power was off, I still heard the
          > hum.
          > > Thanks for listening. I'm relieved to find a community in which to

          I can't agree more. I too have heard, or as I prefer to put it " Sensed " The Hum all over the place. The same mmmMMMmmmmMMMMmmMMMMMmm in much of the UK, Europe and SE Asia. It's global, but I don't think the weather has anything to do with it. It's either on, off or somewhere in-between, and it would seem it's very much off at the moment. A worrying calm before the inevitable storm, I know this from experience because I've been in the Hum doldrums before.