SWER (Or how I learned to eat crow)

  • zaday
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi All,

      Eleanor and Tom had asserted that Single Wire Earth Return power
      distribution systems did not exist (for the large part) in the U.S.
      (excluding Alaska).

      I asserted that I believed they did.

      Ooops. After some email communications with Tom, and a little research
      on my part, reinforced by Tom, I discovered that I was wrong. (More
      correctly, that despite a million web searches and a weekend of looking
      at transformers in the country, I was unable to find an SWER System or a
      reference to their use in the U.S.).

      Oh how I hate those crow feathers.

      We need to appreciate the resources available in the membership on this
      forum. I know I do.

      Best to all.

      Jim
    • GeoffWood
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009

        Maybe your search technique ?

        The following throws up, on it very first link (wiki) the following :

        http://tinyurl.com/n6jtjc

        "It has been applied in Saskatchewan, Brazil, Africa, portions of the United
        States' Upper Midwest, and SWER interties have been proposed for Alaska and
        prototyped"

        ;-)

        geoff
      • Tom Becker
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
          > ... search technique...

          You think that search wasn't done? Earlier messages in this thread
          referred to Wikipedia's claims.

          There is no question that SWER is used in some parts of the world, but
          none of the first five pages of links yielded by your Google request
          supports any US installations. It will be helpful if you can point us
          to an American SWER (or SWGR) system.

          Tom
        • Geoff Wood
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
            Tom Becker wrote:
            >> ... search technique...
            >
            > You think that search wasn't done? Earlier messages in this thread
            > referred to Wikipedia's claims.
            >
            > There is no question that SWER is used in some parts of the world, but
            > none of the first five pages of links yielded by your Google request
            > supports any US installations. It will be helpful if you can point us
            > to an American SWER (or SWGR) system.

            The very FIRST one that popped up for me googling "single wire earth return"
            was the wiki page from which the quote I snipped was taken, which is
            reasonably specific.

            Maybe google searches have regional weightings that throw up results in a
            different order ?

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_wire_earth_return

            geoff