Earth's magnetic fields

  • Sandra Shultz
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2009
      I just read where scientists believe the Earth's magnetic fields are about to reverse. Has been 750,000 years since the last reversal.
      Abnormalities in the Atlantic Ocean(lg. hurricanes)could be an indication of magnetic fields about to reverse. They will reverse not if but when scientist believe.

      Could HUM be an indication of the magnetic fields about to reverse?
      Satellites are now in orbit measuring the magnetic field with more to in 2010.

      The above is not my prediction. Just thought I'd pass it along. I have no knowledge of any kind of noise coming from the magnetic fields of Earth.

      Sandra
    • Tom Becker
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2009
        Don't hold your breath, Sandra. A pole reversal will not suddenly flip,
        at least not in our time frame.

        http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/q279.html
        http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/amag.html

        "...one might expect the field to go to zero strength for a century or
        so. This would let cosmic rays freely penetrate to the Earth's surface
        and cause mutations. This seems not to have had much effect in the
        past...[] There have been a dozen of them over the last few million
        years..."

        "Magnetic field wandering would let the Aurora Borealis occur at any
        latitude, but other than that there would be no noticeable effects other
        than changes in the amount of cosmic rays that penetrate to the ground.
        Even this effect is minimal because we can visit the Arctic and
        Antarctic and only receive a slight increase in cosmic rays. So long as
        the strength of the field remains high during this field wandering
        event, the effects should be pretty benign."

        Tom
      • Marcia Carter
        Message 3 of 3 , May 25, 2009
          thank you for your input, sandra.  if enough data is presented, you never know,just when something might click and the mysterious puzzle be solved.  marcia