Re:HUM Free

  • zaday
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2009
      Hi,

      Fortunately, there are some things that if, ignored for long enough,
      will go away. It may take some time, but with patience, these annoying
      things will be gone. But they must be ignored.

      On the other hand, the HUM doesn't seem to be one of those things that
      can be ignored.

      I did notice a few things about my area that I don't remember addressing
      before. But with the loss of the HUM here, I noticed another artifact
      that I will strive to record audibly and to post for the forum to listen
      to.

      This involves interference on a radio that I carry to listen to the
      police frequencies at 453.250 MHz. While traveling to work over the last
      15 years, I noticed that I periodically encounter interference to the
      above mentioned frequency as I pass within a mile to a mile and a half
      of the County Airport. The interference is strong. If I bypass the
      squelch and listen to the frequency when the radio is not receiving a
      signal, the very strong interference received souds like a diesel engine
      idling. Perhaps some interference from the Airport systems (for landing,
      location, communication, and the like). The Airport is the Allegheny
      County Airport. Larger than a small airport, but well smaller that a
      large airport, this airport is also nearly visible from my house.

      Now I don't hear the HUM at home, but noticed that the Diesel sounding
      interference on the radio is stronger and more persistent than usual, I
      cannot help but to draw some correlation. It is actually occurring on a
      radio that seemed to be resistant to it in the past. (I'm suggesting
      that the cause is stronger than usual).

      Can someone tie the two situations together? Can the airport (on the
      Horizon from my house), be a source of a signal that may be interpreted
      as the HUM. The airport is about 5 to 10 miles from my house as the crow
      flies. Could something have changed that is lobbing the interference in
      the other direction, leaving my house silent, but adding more
      interference to the radio?

      I'm away for the weekend, I check back on this Sunday. Please feel free
      to repost this as it's own post if no one responds to this link. I do
      think that there's something to this.

      Jim

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Leah Ryan" <leahryan@...> wrote:

      > Congrats, Jim. I hope it continues to be silent longer for you and
      your wife than it has been
      > for me. After enjoying nearly a week without the Hum, it returned this
      morning.
      > When I went shopping for two hours this afternoon I did not hear or
      feel the Hum, but the moment
      > I returned to my apartment (a new place I moved into four months ago),
      the Hum was still in full swing. [This disproves the tinnitus theory.]
      > I believe it has something to do with a still to be discovered
      physical law.
      > Leah Ryan
      > (south shore of Long Island in NY USA)
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      > Zaday wrote on Thursday, April 30, 2009:
      >

      > Hi all,
      >
      > My wife and I are still HUM free in Pittsburgh. Not so much as a
      squeak
      > (figuratively speaking).
      >
      > I didn't know there was such a thing as silence.
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Fisher mgfisher@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Still hearing hum today in santa cruz, ca

    • Glenn Fisher
      Message 2 of 21 , May 2, 2009
        It is my view, after years experience, that "the Hum" cannot be detected
        audibly, but rather, is a perceived "sound" inside one's head. In fact it is
        not really a sound, but is perceived as one.

        Definition of the word "sound":

        "Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with
        frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being
        detected by human organs of hearing."

        Thus, "the Hum" is not a sound, since it is not waves of vibrations in the
        air!

        I do not mean to say that it is psychological, but it is not really a
        "sound" in the sense that it can be detected using microphones etc. Or by
        any other definition of the word.

        Most people with perfectly good hearing cannot "hear" or otherwise detect
        this phenomenon.

        My wife and I both hear it at the same time when its here, and we both agree
        when its gone. So clearly it is objectively perceived, and certainly is
        coming from a foreign source.

        FYI, I do not live anywhere near an airport, and the hum does not correspond
        with AM radio interference.

        I suspect it is some electromagnetic energy, which, when it hits our brain,
        resonates in our ear canal, or with our auditory nerves, creating the
        perception of sound.

        My own theory is this can be exacerbated by the electrolytes inside our
        brain fluid. We carry around metallic particles, minerals, etc ("hard
        water") in our brain fluid, which, depending on the mixture and
        concentration, can CONDUCT these electromagnetic waves, which, in turn,
        stimulate our auditory nerves.

        I think this site is the best for all Hum related info:

        http://homepages.tesco.net/~John.Dawes2/
      • zaday
        Message 3 of 21 , May 3, 2009
          Still HUM Free.

          Not so much as a vestige.

          I realized that my post, addressing the issue of the airport, was one
          avenue of approach. I will endeavor to tape the sound of the
          interference to the FM Frequency of 453.250 MHz. I think you and others
          will agree that there is an eerie similarity to what "we HUM Hearers"
          commonly identify as The HUM.

          Your reply may reinforce my assertion (I am not looking for support,
          just trying to disseminate information to someone capable of making
          sense of it), as I am also pondering an electromagnetic source of the
          HUM (in my case) with the Airport offering the source of the
          electromagnetic energy.

          Being that the HUM is now not present in the country (where I first
          started hearing it) and in the city (neither my wife or I are hearing
          ANY of it), and there is no airport in the country, at least not within
          line of sight, I do not offer this as the only cause of the HUM.

          Be well.

        • belilka
          Message 4 of 21 , May 25, 2009
            In Boulder Creek California too.