Re: HUM_FORUM: Re:HUM Free

  • Geoff Wood
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 30, 2009

      From: Leah Ryan
      Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 9:41 AM
      Subject: HUM_FORUM: Re:HUM Free

      Congrats, Jim.  I hope it continues to be silent longer for you and your wife than it has been
      for me.  After enjoying nearly a week without the Hum, it returned this morning.
      When I went shopping for two hours this afternoon I did not hear or feel the Hum, but the moment
      I returned to my apartment (a new place I moved into four months ago), the Hum was still in full swing.  [This disproves the tinnitus theory.]

      In what way ?

      geoff
    • zaday
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2009
        Hi,

        Fortunately, there are some things that if, ignored for long enough,
        will go away. It may take some time, but with patience, these annoying
        things will be gone. But they must be ignored.

        On the other hand, the HUM doesn't seem to be one of those things that
        can be ignored.

        I did notice a few things about my area that I don't remember addressing
        before. But with the loss of the HUM here, I noticed another artifact
        that I will strive to record audibly and to post for the forum to listen
        to.

        This involves interference on a radio that I carry to listen to the
        police frequencies at 453.250 MHz. While traveling to work over the last
        15 years, I noticed that I periodically encounter interference to the
        above mentioned frequency as I pass within a mile to a mile and a half
        of the County Airport. The interference is strong. If I bypass the
        squelch and listen to the frequency when the radio is not receiving a
        signal, the very strong interference received souds like a diesel engine
        idling. Perhaps some interference from the Airport systems (for landing,
        location, communication, and the like). The Airport is the Allegheny
        County Airport. Larger than a small airport, but well smaller that a
        large airport, this airport is also nearly visible from my house.

        Now I don't hear the HUM at home, but noticed that the Diesel sounding
        interference on the radio is stronger and more persistent than usual, I
        cannot help but to draw some correlation. It is actually occurring on a
        radio that seemed to be resistant to it in the past. (I'm suggesting
        that the cause is stronger than usual).

        Can someone tie the two situations together? Can the airport (on the
        Horizon from my house), be a source of a signal that may be interpreted
        as the HUM. The airport is about 5 to 10 miles from my house as the crow
        flies. Could something have changed that is lobbing the interference in
        the other direction, leaving my house silent, but adding more
        interference to the radio?

        I'm away for the weekend, I check back on this Sunday. Please feel free
        to repost this as it's own post if no one responds to this link. I do
        think that there's something to this.

        Jim

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Leah Ryan" <leahryan@...> wrote:

        > Congrats, Jim. I hope it continues to be silent longer for you and
        your wife than it has been
        > for me. After enjoying nearly a week without the Hum, it returned this
        morning.
        > When I went shopping for two hours this afternoon I did not hear or
        feel the Hum, but the moment
        > I returned to my apartment (a new place I moved into four months ago),
        the Hum was still in full swing. [This disproves the tinnitus theory.]
        > I believe it has something to do with a still to be discovered
        physical law.
        > Leah Ryan
        > (south shore of Long Island in NY USA)
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > Zaday wrote on Thursday, April 30, 2009:
        >

        > Hi all,
        >
        > My wife and I are still HUM free in Pittsburgh. Not so much as a
        squeak
        > (figuratively speaking).
        >
        > I didn't know there was such a thing as silence.
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Fisher mgfisher@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Still hearing hum today in santa cruz, ca

      • Glenn Fisher
        Message 3 of 21 , May 2, 2009
          It is my view, after years experience, that "the Hum" cannot be detected
          audibly, but rather, is a perceived "sound" inside one's head. In fact it is
          not really a sound, but is perceived as one.

          Definition of the word "sound":

          "Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with
          frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being
          detected by human organs of hearing."

          Thus, "the Hum" is not a sound, since it is not waves of vibrations in the
          air!

          I do not mean to say that it is psychological, but it is not really a
          "sound" in the sense that it can be detected using microphones etc. Or by
          any other definition of the word.

          Most people with perfectly good hearing cannot "hear" or otherwise detect
          this phenomenon.

          My wife and I both hear it at the same time when its here, and we both agree
          when its gone. So clearly it is objectively perceived, and certainly is
          coming from a foreign source.

          FYI, I do not live anywhere near an airport, and the hum does not correspond
          with AM radio interference.

          I suspect it is some electromagnetic energy, which, when it hits our brain,
          resonates in our ear canal, or with our auditory nerves, creating the
          perception of sound.

          My own theory is this can be exacerbated by the electrolytes inside our
          brain fluid. We carry around metallic particles, minerals, etc ("hard
          water") in our brain fluid, which, depending on the mixture and
          concentration, can CONDUCT these electromagnetic waves, which, in turn,
          stimulate our auditory nerves.

          I think this site is the best for all Hum related info:

          http://homepages.tesco.net/~John.Dawes2/
        • zaday
          Message 4 of 21 , May 3, 2009
            Still HUM Free.

            Not so much as a vestige.

            I realized that my post, addressing the issue of the airport, was one
            avenue of approach. I will endeavor to tape the sound of the
            interference to the FM Frequency of 453.250 MHz. I think you and others
            will agree that there is an eerie similarity to what "we HUM Hearers"
            commonly identify as The HUM.

            Your reply may reinforce my assertion (I am not looking for support,
            just trying to disseminate information to someone capable of making
            sense of it), as I am also pondering an electromagnetic source of the
            HUM (in my case) with the Airport offering the source of the
            electromagnetic energy.

            Being that the HUM is now not present in the country (where I first
            started hearing it) and in the city (neither my wife or I are hearing
            ANY of it), and there is no airport in the country, at least not within
            line of sight, I do not offer this as the only cause of the HUM.

            Be well.

          • belilka
            Message 5 of 21 , May 25, 2009
              In Boulder Creek California too.