Re: Vibrations at night

  • rubybeth2001
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6 10:45 PM
      I havn't felt the vibrations for a few days Eleanor so i am having a bit of a rest. i still think that feeling the hum and feeling these vibrations even when they are quite strong which requires me to get off the lounge or get out of bed has someting to do with a sensitivity in our bodies. i say that because my husband and son do not feel them. they might feel strong to us but they are not strong enough for others to feel them. i am still working on my diet and exercise routine and i would recommend anyone else who has a bit of a sedentary lifestyle and feels the hum to think about changing it.
      It seems to be working for me at the moment. i am only hoping this change is not a coincidence.
      regards Fiona

      > As someone who is awoken nightly and whose
      > bed is kept vibrating for a substantial part of
      > every night, I feel your pain.
      >
      > I monitored the floor under my bed, and then
      > the bed frame itself, using a small portable
      > seismometer rented from a blasting contractor.
      >
      > The recording seismometer showed very real
      > mechanical vibrations of the bed frame, but
      > not in the floor, which is highly anomalous but
      > matched my physical experience. When I
      > would put my leg over the side of the bed, I
      > felt no vibration in the floor.
      >
      > I would suggest that Hum hearers who can
      > afford to rent vibration sensing equipment may
      > want to try similar experiments to see if the
      > vibration is "real" or just "sensed."
      >
      > My vibration is quite powerful - enough to show
      > on the surface of a cup of drink. If you have
      > a cup of water handy and turn the light on,
      > you could hold it against what you sense is
      > vibrating as an experiment to decide if you
      > want to rent vibration measuring equipment.
      >
      > You'd need glasses handy too, if you wear
      > them, to see the ripples on the surface.
      >
      > Finding consistent vibrations would certainly
      > help credibility.
      >
      > Eleanor White

    • janyl humphrey
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 7 5:40 PM
        Hello Eleanor, wish I had one of those machines here. As one who has had the bed vibrations, etc., I have been thinking about it, and wondered, could you place the seismograph against the wall inside your bedroom, or even more so, against the outside wall of your home? It seems to me in thinking, that if there is a wave component to the Hum, that it would not only be bouncing against the surface of the house, but also being absorbed as well. I'm not a scientist or one who can quote all kinds of ideas & theories, but the vibrations may be picked up doing that, or even trying to measure glass surfaces (windows) or even the frame around it.

        I had tried using a piano tuner device, and it DID pick up vibrations when turned to certain notes...it's apparent in the case of my house, it is extra sensitive even to when cars go by on the street.

        What about also placing the seismograph device on the ground, outside, right around the foundation of your home, to see if you could pick anything up?
        I know for myself, I would be trying out multiple locations, where I would be able to show someone that vibrations are indeed being directed toward my home.
        Have you talked with the blasting contractor to see what his ideas might be about it?
        Your idea is very intriguing, to use that device, also thought of doing that here as well, to catch vibrational aspects of the Hum. (and in our case here, we definitely have them!)
        Sincerely,
        Janyl in Eastern NC :)

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8 9:45 AM
          On 7 Mar 2009 at 17:40, janyl humphrey wrote:

          > Hello Eleanor, wish I had one of those machines here. As one who has
          > had the bed vibrations, etc., I have been thinking about it, and
          > wondered, could you place the seismograph against the wall inside
          > your bedroom, or even more so, against the outside wall of your
          > home?

          Absolutely. All these gadgets are are motion sensors
          so you can place it on anything. One I rented had a
          paper output like a cash register roll, about the size of
          a small suitcase.

          Another one didn't provide a graph, but instead measured
          peak amplitudes (distances moved by a vibrating surface)
          and accelerations (how violently the surface moved) over
          the time between when you started and stopped it.

          I can't remember now if frequency was involved. The
          motion sensing pickup worked in all three axes, and the
          device reported each direction independently and also the
          "vector sum" which is the combined effect of all three
          directional readings.

          You could download the recorded data to a computer
          as a series of numbers and text labelling what each number
          means. That gadget was smaller, about the size of a
          box of Kleenex.

          Check with blasting contractors in your area - they use
          these devices all the time around blasting jobs to protect
          themselves from lawsuits alleging their blasting caused
          damage.

          > It seems to me in thinking, that if there is a wave component
          > to the Hum, that it would not only be bouncing against the surface
          > of the house, but also being absorbed as well. I'm not a scientist
          > or one who can quote all kinds of ideas & theories, but the
          > vibrations may be picked up doing that, or even trying to measure
          > glass surfaces (windows) or even the frame around it.

          The idea is, get your graphs and/or peak numbers, then
          send copies (not your originals) to scientist(s) who can
          interpret them.

          Because to get these readings some expense and
          trouble is involved, it would be a good idea to give copies
          to one or two friends to hold for you in case yours got
          messed up or lost.

          > I had tried using a piano tuner device, and it DID pick up
          > vibrations when turned to certain notes...it's apparent in the case
          > of my house, it is extra sensitive even to when cars go by on the
          > street.

          Interesting. Maybe you could post which notes here?

          > What about also placing the seismograph device on the ground,
          > outside, right around the foundation of your home, to see if you
          > could pick anything up?

          You can place these units on anything you like.

          For best results, ideally you will have a sandbag
          to hold the unit or its external pickup solidly against
          what you are trying to measure.

          The fancier paper roll model used an external pickup
          with three bolts as legs, each leg being a hardened
          steel point. That helps get down through, say,
          carpet. A sandbag on top, or something similar,
          should be used for best readings. Any loose stuff
          in a bag should work as long as the bag can droop
          completely over the pickup. Kitty litter, for example.

          For Earth measurement, the pointed bolt feed
          wouldn't be used if the earth was unfrozen - just
          sandbag it securely so the pickup sits flat on the
          soil. I would not recommend sandy soil as I suspect
          sandy soil below could shift around and dampen
          out some of the motion.

          > I know for myself, I would be trying out multiple locations, where I
          > would be able to show someone that vibrations are indeed being
          > directed toward my home.
          > Have you talked with the blasting contractor to see what his ideas
          > might be about it?

          All I did with the blasting contractor was say I was
          having vibration problems, and I wanted to rent a
          couple of their seismometers. They showed me
          how to use the units, and gave me the units and
          manuals. Because they had no blasting projects
          on the go, I was able to rent for a full month.

          The final bill was something like $300, which was
          a bargain given that the two units cost $20,000
          for the small one and $60,000 for the big one with
          the external pickup.

          > Your idea is very intriguing, to use that device, also thought of
          > doing that here as well, to catch vibrational aspects of the Hum.

          I sincerely wish you luck - that would add a whole
          new dimension to the Hum, and probably increase
          your credibility too.

          Eleanor White
        • beezerq
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 17 8:52 AM
            Hi,

            I'm with you. I hear the hum often, but for me it's little more than a minor annoyance. Sure, I'd like it to go away, and I'd certainly like to know what's causing it, but I guess I'm lucky, I can't call it suffering at all.

            --Beezer