Re: HUM_FORUM: What's that noise?

  • rubybeth2001
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2009
      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, K L Lamkin <countessofcrop@...>
      wrote:
      > i have even found that compacting enough play - doh around the
      outer part of the ear to make a good seal has lessened the effect of
      the vibrations. if i lie on my left side and i have good seals on
      both ears, the sound of my heart drowns out the hum and i can get a
      reasonably good nights sleep.
      playdoh works really well also if you want to block out noisy
      neigbours and barking dogs. its cheap too.
      The smell doesn't really bother me. The doh we get here is not very
      smelly. it would probably pay to shop around as different brands have
      different smells or make your own.
      rubybeth

      > Play dough- interesting. I get know relief rom foam or wax ear
      plugs. Maybe play dough would be more pliable. Worth a try. Only
      problem is, I hate the smell. If it does the trick, I'll get used to
      the smell ! "Course that won't help when the vibrations are bad.

      > Kevann

      Hills,
      > > near
      > direction.
      > the
      > it

    • Bill Berndt
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2009
        You need to snore, like I do.  I drown out the hum with my own snoring.

        --
        Bill Berndt
        Layton, UT
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2009
          Hello Laura, I'm originally from L.A., I know there's so much going on that it's hard to pinpoint a source. Is the Van Nuys Airport to the southwest from where you hear it? Also, are there any power substations nearby or those high tension power wires?
          Is the railroad line near you that main one which runs from Oxnard to near downtown L.A.?
          Are there any locales near where the buses sit & idle?
          Do you have any visible cell towers nearby? (the ones they don't disguise as palm trees, etc)
          Our Hum is also directional, at least from inside our house; though we can hear it in other locations, not only inside the house, but outside & in other people's houses...
          I need to get out to L.A. again & see if I hear it there....stuck in NC.
          We're still trying to find the exact source here (and elsewhere) too.
          Good Luck!
          Janyl in Eastern NC :) P.S. Our bathroom also seems to elevate the sound, and I also think with the pipes & tile, helps make it louder in there.

> [...]
          > North Hills, near
          > > Northridge, CA. My sound comes from the southwesterly
          > direction. I
          > > hear it mostly at night but I can hear it if I listen
          > during the
          > > daytime with all of the city noises. The sound is
          > constant and it
          > > seems underground.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your responses.

          > 1. The orientation of this forum is scientific, with
          > everything that implies. Reasoned and articulate criticism
          > of ideas and theories is welcome.
          > 2. The following are not allowed: personal attacks,
          > gratuitous profanity, "kook" posts, and
          > supernatural explanations.
          > 3. Limit posts to those that are necessary and have
          > substantive content. In general, no more than three per
          > person per day.
          > 4. If you hear the Hum, please post your location at:

        • sms
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2009
            Hi Laura,
            The Hum I hear sounds like a plane coming in for a landing, but it never
            lands. The sound is constant and doesn't waver. I hear it inside but never
            outside. And. . . I never try to explain it to anyone due to a response
            which I know I am certain to get.

            BTW, I am in No. Ca

            From: lauralovesworld <lauralovesworld@...>
            Subject: HUM_FORUM: What's that noise?

            If you were to describe what you are hearing to someone who may not know
            what you are talking about, what would you say that the noise or hum sounded
            like? For example, I always describe it as sounding like a washing machine
            in the back room on a constant spin cycle! Please describe what you are
            hearing or what it sounds like to you as well as where you hear it mostly
            (location) and time(s) heard.

            The reason I want to know this is because when I have often explained it to
            people, I was borderline crazy and I really wasn't too sure how to explain
            it otherwise. I am also interested in how it sounds to others and where they
            are in connection with my location. I am in a Los Angeles suburb, actually,
            San Fernando Valley, North Hills, near Northridge, CA. My sound comes from
            the southwesterly direction. I hear it mostly at night but I can hear it if
            I listen during the daytime with all of the city noises. The sound is
            constant and it seems underground.
          • lauralovesworld
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3, 2009
              Thanks for all of your answers...interesting stuff and all kinds of
              crazy, just like me! Well, as for the airport, I am 2 1/2 blocks from
              it and practically right under the landing path...yes the tracks are
              the oxnard rail as well. The sounds appear to be underground believe
              it or not, as for the airport, it's pretty quiet at night time since
              it is small and residential surrounds. I go to the airport area
              nearly every late night to feed some feral cats and let me tell you
              there is a hum from one of the big lamps that kick on and off in the
              industrial park area. Transformer sounding stuff. But that is not
              the sound I hear at home! Big difference. the transformer hum is
              obvious direction and sound, sounds just like that however the one
              heard late at night at home is a on-off-on-off sound like what I
              mentioned in the original message, a washing machine stuck on the spin
              cycle forever spinning "wha-wha-wha-wha-wha" (fast tempo) etc. and no
              break in the pattern. Sounds like one spinning in the back room you
              know what I mean. Annoying if you are working or studing, yet like one
              of the noises that are annoying you enough yet you are not really
              fully aware of it until you take aspirin and then realize what the
              heck is all that damn background noise going on at this time of night?
              ? My boyfriend noticed it at my friend's house the other day which
              finally prompted me to look it up leading me to this site or group.
              He was like what is that noise???? We were last to leave a party so
              it was quiet and late. Just before we left we were sitting there all
              of us and he actually heard it, just as I had before and at that same
              time. (The friend laughed at me prior when I pointed it out, but now
              without a word about it my boyfriend was serious when he asked about
              it, so there!!!) I had noticed it at home for a long time, the sounds
              are quite similar yet still don't sound like the transformer exactly
              but if I could record it, I will try to do so...It's loud enough at my
              friends house to do so with all hardwood floors!

              I am beginning to think it has something to do with seizmic-like
              movement possibly or the type of foundation this part of the city is
              built on, like sand or something similar, since sand makes noises when
              it settles, blows or moves...Since I am somewhat close to the ocean,
              there is sand under the ocean and you can hear it move underwater when
              you swish it also. But not from earthquakes moving, just like land-
              tide movement, everyday expansion and contraction like the small
              movement you can see when you meditate, since this place is always
              moving and breathing, earthquakes or not. I am not a scientist here
              but the valleys seem to be granite and sand and all evidence here is
              displayed in the corners of our doors and walls (cracks). You know
              this if you live(d) here, I am sure you know this type of thing - that
              cracking thing on the walls and door jam corners, which need constant
              fix all and still crack through, you LA valley folks know what I
              mean!!

              One last thing, my boyfriend builds speakers and speaker boxes using
              cross overs and he makes this stuff all from scratch, not that this
              matters too much but it is ironic that he has used sand in some of his
              speaker creations.

              I hope that this doesn't cause a lot of controversy or make anyone
              mad, it just seems like I put too much thought into this crap and I
              agree, I should snore louder, but from what I hear, I already do so!
              hahhahhee! Alright you guys, that is my big opinion and what I think,
              please don't hate me for even going there, please? It is cool to see
              that I am not crazy and that I am not alone! Have you guys tripped
              too hard and gotten some theories on this noise? Just curious.
              Thanks again.

              Laura F.

              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, janyl humphrey <hyperion_nc@...>

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 5, 2009
                Hello Laura, has there been any expansion on the metro line out further from the terminus in NoHo/Universal City; when that the metro lines are being built, there is a very large drill that is used.
                You're definitely in a seismic zone, the Northridge fault goes right through that zone.
                And so much L.A. city infrastructure down in the ground also---sewer, water mains, gas, etc.
                Knowing L.A. like I do....I'm sure the idea of sand & granite is right, just like if you go up to Griffith Park or over by Elysian Park/Dodger Stadium....what's in those areas is also on the floor of the San Fernando Valley. Most of the Valley, years back, was farmland (even when I was a kid, there were farms out your way), so I guess you'd have the topsoil but on down, probably more like sandstone.
                So....
                I think that ground waves go easily through sand, I know that earthquake waves do, even can cause sand to almost liquify.

                An interesting thing you've noted about sand and the Hum. In this part of Eastern North Carolina I'm stuck in, it is former swampland that was filled in with a whole lot of sand. In fact, in my front yard, where the soil has worn out....it's sandy.
                I think there is something to the soil structure and the Hum.
                And in my case, even being on the "other side of the world"...I know quite a bit about my former home of Los Angeles.
                One other thing, is the Oxnard line electrified like the Metro or just a regular rail line?

                It's notable that you & your boyfriend both hear it, did you say that a friend heard it as well?
                My daughter and I hear the Hum here, and in our case, it is louder sometimes and softer others. Do you notice variability or is it a constant?
                And I know what you mean about the description....sounds familiar.
                Sincerely,
                Janyl in Eastern North Carolina
                But missing SoCal like crazy...

> [...]
                > boxes using
                > cross overs and he makes this stuff all from scratch, not
                > that this
                > matters too much but it is ironic that he has used sand in
                > some of his
                > speaker creations.
                >
                > I hope that this doesn't cause a lot of controversy or
                > make anyone
                > mad, it just seems like I put too much thought into this
                > crap and I
                > agree, I should snore louder, but from what I hear, I
                > already do so!
                > hahhahhee! Alright you guys, that is my big opinion and
                > what I think,
                > please don't hate me for even going there, please? It
                > is cool to see
                > that I am not crazy and that I am not alone! Have you guys
                > tripped
                > too hard and gotten some theories on this noise? Just

              • lauralovesworld
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 6, 2009
                  I appreciate your knowledge of the area here...It is refreshing and quite reassuring to read your messages. And as a matter of fact I did live in NoHo when I first experienced the Hum and witnessed some minor seizmic activity at the same time they were drilling for the metrolink. The underground portion of that railway was completed. It goes underground to Hollywood of course from Lankershim, about 1 mile from where I used to live! Basically I have never taken it, nor will I with what I went through with the drilling, sinkholes and all of the topical visual movement that was going on at that time, following the northridge earthquake. I just don't see myself being down in an underground tomb! I moved back to La (NoHo) from Morro Bay following the big one here! I was not used to all the activity following that shocker and I was certainly sensitive to everything being in a second story old wooden apartment (NoHo typical). I went crazy and being new to the area, (new meaning once again, but with new enlightening behaviors of the ground) the shaking seemed minor and not important to all of my peers and such being in their rat race. Although it was about 2 years following the quake, there was still so much of it daily and peaking in the middle of the night. I felt like I was the only one who experienced this madness and went on an individual sanity quest! Friends would laugh at me for even bringing stuff up. Along with all of this wave-like surface movement, I was confused about the noises I heard esp. at night, sort of like a busy freeway going 24/7 but that even came to 1 1/2 hour quiettime yet that sound was still haunting as to where the cars were. So at that time it wasn't much of a Hum or noise thing as it was a visual and sense of equilibrium or balance thing I was having a problem with. It has long since changed for me since then and I moved to Northridge about 4 years ago wherein the sight thing has come to a rare but familiar thing for me, as within the entire valley, where and when I do see it. Sometimes I have to meditate in my own relaxed state to see it but the noise is more of a thing for me now. I believe its due to the new location in-as-much-as it was the other (visual) before. As I experience the sound thing now, I don't see much anymore at least around here, I think that it is either a trade off of location or the sound is replacing the visual sensation as it has become seemingly more calm over time. I have yet to theorize on that question yet.

                  Oh, just one quick note on the Northridge quake you may just find somewhat interesting: I lived in Morro Bay like I said before moving back to LA. It is approximately 4 hours, 25 north of San Luis Obispo. There I lived 1 block off the beach literally. The night of the big one, I was coming in about 11:00 pm from a late outing and usually we can hear the ocean without fail all the time. As my roommates and I arrived home and got out of the car I told one of them to stop and listen, as he did for a second. I get goose bumps when I tell this, but I pointed out how erie the night was with a thick air and yet so very still, no wind or breeze and most important, WE COULDN'T HEAR THE OCEAN! Oh well, wierd we thought and agreed went in and went to bed. To our surprise as we woke for work while getting ready, the news on TV floored us! Wow, the night before we didn't hear a thing...

                  so as for the sand, I guess you can say that there was a quiet calm before the storm, and moving down in it deeper, the storm is still happening...I believe its our earth cracking and ocean sands that warn us which is what we hear. I just don't know if I am right about it nor do I have any proof except personal knowledge of these events.

                  Don't miss LA - stay where you are comfortable...and far off the quicksands!

                  Thanks again

                  Laura

                • lauralovesworld
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 6, 2009
                    Yes, I may add that there is a variant to the times of the hum, I would describe it as twice, daily and nightly when it comes on peaks then begins to silence...with it having opposite off times. I think of ocean tides I suppose eqivalent to moon pulls on peak off, on peak off = 24 hours. Does that make sense?

                    Laura...

                  • janyl humphrey
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 8, 2009
                      Hello Laura, actually it does....I have noticed some peaks in sound here, and then the sound fades off, but in our case, I think it has something to do with the local water treatment plant complex, though we cannot "capture" a Hum from it so far.
                      Our Hum here (we have heard a Hum in other places, another state) used to have a somewhat predictable pattern, but doesn't so much anymore, something which makes it a bit more puzzling. I have wondered if the timing, along with the "peaks and valleys" of the sound, isn't some kind of clue.
                      Sincerely, Janyl in Eastern NC :)