RE: HUM_FORUM: Re: Hum in Ohio

  • Geoff Wood
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 31, 2009

      I have come from another forum which is full of kooks and conspiracy
      theorists, who will believe anything apart from the obvious. I thought this
      forum was intended to be more balanced, but was upset to set similar
      tendancies here, although 'under the surface'.

      > You say 'one day I had hum in only one ear, and realised that it was
      > 'internal'.
      > That conclusion seems a bit of a leap in logic. Why did it seem the
      > most likely
      > explanation?

      Previously my Hum had been in both ears. One day it was clearly only in the
      left though otherwise identical. My other ear was still there and
      functioning seemingly normally (I could hear other bass notes of similar
      frequency with it, from my keyboard), so that kind of localised it to my
      left ear, and not outside. Not to mention being unable to record and
      measure it with a microphone with a pretty flat response down to 5Hz
      (Earthworks M30).

      Other experiences with physical manipulation tend to indicate that there is
      a physical aspect to it, on one occasion my ear spasming when blocked with a
      finger ( the Hum stopped while inserted).

      Don't forget this is after YEARS of searching inside and out, and technical
      measurements that cost me thousands of dollars, for a real physical external
      sound that matched my Hum.

      Then I mentioned this to my GP, on an semi-unrelated visit, who was not at
      all surprised with my Hum, as my sinuses were at the time fully of 'sticky
      goo'. I have a cranial constriction on my right inner ear which makes it
      prone to blocking, which amoungst other things gives me a huge LF response
      boost, making room rumble, crowds, road-rumble, etc, almost intolerable.
      This may or may not related to my Hum, which is a very specific tone.

      geoff
    • Tom Becker
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
        > ... under the surface...

        What, for example, Geoff? Are you referring to my suggestion of gravity
        or Eleanor's harrassment subject, which she acknowledged as OT here?
        Since you picked a bone with me, I assume the former. What is under the
        surface, pun unintended, about discussing gravity?

        Tom
      • ewraven1@sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
          On 1 Feb 2009 at 12:21, Tom Becker wrote:

          > > ... under the surface...
          >
          > What, for example, Geoff? Are you referring to my
          > suggestion of gravity or Eleanor's harrassment subject,
          > which she acknowledged as OT here? Since you picked a
          > bone with me, I assume the former. What is under the
          > surface, pun unintended, about discussing gravity?
          >
          > Tom

          I think the gravity idea is very interesting.

          We know how to calculate gravitational attraction, but
          do we have any idea at all what sort of 'signal' is
          exchanged between masses in order for the attraction
          to happen?

          Another way to word that is, how does one object in
          free space "know" another object is out there?

          Does something pass between the objects? If so,
          what is the nature of that signal?

          Knowing that would answer a wide range of puzzling
          phenomena.

          Eleanor White
          Ontario, Canada
        • Geoff Wood
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

            No - just a few feelings I get reading through the archives.

            But your gravity idea - measure it - shouldn't be difficult (but don't ask
            me how - I'm not a physicist !) . I'm sure if you could demonstrate such a
            modulation then you could become world-famous ! That would also,
            presumably, mean that all hum-suffers in a region would be hearing exactly
            the same pitch ?

            geoff
          • A&JM
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

              I struggle to see how anything in the human body can react to (apparently) extremely small changes in gravitational “flux”.  Even with exquisitely sensitive instruments (1 part per 40 million), it’s very difficult to “see” gravitational changes due to mass.  It seems to me that it would require a change in our basic understanding of physics.  I’m skeptical, but who knows?

              Arne

              Central MN USA

              We know how to calculate gravitational attraction, but
              do we have any idea at all what sort of 'signal' is
              exchanged between masses in order for the attraction
              to happen?

            • Jerry Cummings
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
                Please don't forget that there is "some" explanation to this "Hum" - I personally think that it is man-made and the mysterious origination is only a mystery because we cannot pinpoint the source. I subscribe to this bb because one day I know that someone will come up with some "basic understanding of physics" that will describe this perceived mystery.
                The hum has been rather bizarre lately (for me) loud and modulated - very, very disturbing.
                Jerry - Florida Panhandle

                At 08:40 PM 2/1/2009, you wrote:

                I struggle to see how anything in the human body can react to (apparently) extremely small changes in gravitational “flux”.  Even with exquisitely sensitive instruments (1 part per 40 million), it’s very difficult to “see” gravitational changes due to mass.  It seems to me that it would require a change in our basic understanding of physics.  I’m skeptical, but who knows?

                Arne

                Central MN USA

                We know how to calculate gravitational attraction, but
                do we have any idea at all what sort of 'signal' is
                exchanged between masses in order for the attraction
                to happen?

                "Have you forgotten?" - Darryl Worley

              • Geoff Wood
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

                    Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 3:55 PM

                    Please don't forget that there is "some" explanation to this "Hum" - I personally think that it is man-made and the mysterious origination is only a mystery because we cannot pinpoint the source. I subscribe to this bb because one day I know that someone will come up with some "basic understanding of physics" that will describe this perceived mystery.
                    Well several, one being very common and boring, sorry.

                    The hum has been rather bizarre lately (for me) loud and modulated
                    But not to the person standing next to you !

                    geoff
                  • Tom Becker
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
                      > ... who knows?

                      Presumably, those who know better do. I'm too independent to know that
                      what I want to do is impossible, so I'm trying anyway - fortunately
                      lacking a formal physics education that would prevent me from
                      considering it. The exercise is fun, in any event, and keeps me from
                      doing something surely even more dumb, I imagine. Worst case, I have
                      an interesting sensitive seismometer.

                      Tom
                    • ironlungzgutzu
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 4, 2009
                        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Becker <gtbecker@...> wrote:

                        > I said nothing about extraordinary. If you've been reading my posts,
                        > you know that I lean toward gravity modulation.
                        >
                        > > ... Everybody elses' Hum descriptions that defy conventional
                        > description appear to fit my own experiences and observations exactly.
                        >
                        > Well, then, it's settled; we all have tinnitus and we feel much better
                        > now. Thank you, Geoff.
                        >

                        > Tom

                        go to u tube type in "Auckland hum" its the closest ive heard so far
                        but it doesn't pulsate nor does it have the vibratory resonance but it
                        s pitch is close
                      • Geoff Wood
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 5, 2009

                          I've just got back from 2 days in Auckland, and heard no Hum. I was in ST
                          Georges Bay Rd, just up from the container terminal and over the harbour
                          from Devonport.

                          However I did hear quite a lot of low frequencies (good ones), coming from
                          one Tal Wilkenfeld, a 22 year old Aussie chick bass player, who has earned
                          the priveledge of playing with Jeff Beck ! (Youtube-search "Jeff Beck Tal"
                          if you are interested).

                          I did pop my Etymotic earplugs in for some parts of the concert, but mostly
                          for loud mid and high frequency stuff that hurts me.

                          And the plane flight, this time, appears to have not got my ears all messed
                          up - no blockages and resultant huge bass boost that I sometimes get - not
                          Hum, but real hums and rumbles get amplified incredibly when that happens.

                          geoff
                        • Tim Flood
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 9, 2009
                            I'll through the following out for consideration:

                            1. My wife has tinnitus, I do not.
                            2. My wife does not hear the hum, but I do.
                            3. There have been no additions to or subtractions from regarding electrical/electronics in our home pr and post hum.
                            4. Pattern of use of electrical/electronics has not changed pre and post hum.
                            5. The hum stopped for about two weeks, but started again last night - even louder this time.

                            Tim Flood
                            NE Ohio
                          • goodears2
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 9, 2010
                              Tim, I have just joined the forum. I am interested in knowing where you are. I began hearing a hum in September 2009, which is very local to where I live. (I have since heard a similar hum in S. Ohio and Europe.) I am hoping that some areas in which the hum occurs do have a source. I am in NE Ohio on the east side of Cleveland.