Re: HUM_FORUM: Hum experiences from a new member

  • Bill Berndt
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2009
      I am the one Kevann mentioned.  I made a trip to LA over the Holidays and was hoping to see I could hear the same hum Kevan was hearing.  Unfortunately, we could not get together and compare notes.  However, here are my observations while on my trip:
      First, for some background:
      For me, the Hum has always acted much the same as it does for you.  That is, I can only hear it when in a very quiet environment (usually when retiring for the evening), and only in my left ear.  I either hear it or I don't.  Very little in between.  When I do hear it, the sound it very consistent and sounds like a diesel truck engine idling somewhere off in the distance.  It has always been louder on colder nights and when right after it has rained or snowed.  Over the past few months, it has not been nearly as loud, when I do hear it.  That may be due to a decrease in potassium in my diet.  I say this because I started hearing the hum shortly after I started using the water softener (new house).  I noticed the decrease in the hum shortly after I switched to using salt in my water softener instead of potassium chloride tablets.  .  Of course, this just may be a coincidence.
      My trip:
      I could hardly hear the hum while on my trip to CA (I live in Utah).  I could still hear it, when the room was very quiet at night, but not like it is at my house.  When I did hear the hum, it sounded pretty much the same, only not as loud.  I was at two different locations and had the same result.  Now, I did have a slight cold while in CA.  So, there is the possibility that it had an affect on my ability to hear the hum.  I also dropped over 4 thousand feet in altitude.  So, maybe air pressure also plays a role.
      I have been reading the posts from the forum for several years now.  I am convinced that the hum is not an acoustical sound we are hearing.  Ultimately, I think the sound is being produced from within the ear and ambient noise seems to affect our ability to hear it:  Either we hear it or we don't.  Could there be some external source that is stimulating our inner ear so, or something within the inner ear, that we perceive as the hum?  I believe so.  One person mentioned calcium crystals within the inner ear that naturally form over time.  For him, reducing his calcium intake reduced the hum.  For some reason, for me, potassium intake appears to play a role.  If this is so, what is doing the stimulating?  I don't even have a guess.  If this is man-made, how then can some people hear it, even when in a tunnel miles below the earth, yet others can only hear it in very specific locations?  How come the hum switches off and on for some and can change pitch, while it is constant for others and does not change?  Its going to take a lot of smart people working together to figure this one out.
      My sympathy is with all those who suffer much more than I do.  I don't know if I could live with the constant torment some of you have described.

      On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:24 AM, beezerq <papery49496@...> wrote:

      I have heard the hum pretty consistently for the past few weeks.
      Strangely, it seems louder to me on cold nights. This may be because
      colder nights are quieter nights.

      To reiterate, almost any background noise above a soft minimum is
      enough to stop the hum. Sticking my fingers in my ears definitely
      stops it, but this is due to the rumbling noise, and not because it's
      blocking any sound from coming in.

      Spouse's gentle snoring, refrigerator coming on in another room,
      heater fan, traffic sounds. Any of these are enough to suppress the
      hum in my experience.

      We need to be scientific about it. To tell if its louder, softer, or
      even present, you have to be in the same conditions as last time. That
      is, same location, same time, keep everything as similar as possible.

      I am not persuaded that the hum is due to an external cause. It may be
      a low frequency form of tinnitus, possibly due to some environmental
      exposure or even minor nerve damage.

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, K L Lamkin <countessofcrop@...> wrote:
      > Hi Barry,
      > I also live in a L A suburb near the San Gabrial mountains. Another
      humforum member was in my city the week between Christmas & New Year,
      and we were hoping he could hear "my" hum, but it was uncooperative
      during daytime hours last week, so we didn't have the chance to
      compare hums. If i remember, he said he could only hear it faintly
      from where he was staying that week. Do you remember if you could hear
      it last week as loudly as usual during the day? For what its worth, I
      also seem to hear it more in my left ear.

      Bill Berndt
      Layton, UT