New Hum Simulation

  • grantjohnson123
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 26, 2008
      Hello to all-

      I have recently posted yet another audio file in the Hum simulation
      files folder on the Hum Forum. Please give it a listen and I look
      forward to reading your comments. As I have posted earlier, I am now
      living in southern Wisconsin where I perceive the Hum with less
      intensity than I do in my summer residence in north central Minnesota,
      and thus I barely hear the very low rumble (classic diesel engine
      sound) so it is not included in this audio file.

      Does anyone hear the hum as I do?

      Thanks!

      Chip
      WI/MN
    • zaday
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 27, 2008
        Hi Chip,

        I listened the minute I saw your post but was unable to respond until
        now.

        Very interesting, not a simple 60 hz tone nor seemingly a resonance of
        one. (Believe me, I have more than my share of resonance and 60 hz tones
        at work). It varies in the left ear, being very low and switching on and
        off. Is this the nature of your perception or an artifact of the
        simulation? Despite the lack of a true Diesel sound, it still has facets
        in common with my perception of it.

        Do you hear this inside a building, buildings, and/or outside as well?
        (i.e. do you hear the same presentation of the sound in various
        geographical locations?) It sounds like it's modulated. I wonder if it's
        ELF Radio Traffic or something similar.

        Thanks much for doing the simulation. It's interesting to hear what
        others hear. As I said before, sending my non-HUM hearer a link to the
        simulation that I hear has changed his mind about the topic. When you
        tell someone that you hear a HUM, they assume it's a simple fan type
        hum.

        Be well and Happy Thankgiving to you and yours.

        I see that the simulation varies in intensity in
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "grantjohnson123" <chip@...> wrote:

        > Hello to all-
        >
        > I have recently posted yet another audio file in the Hum simulation
        > files folder on the Hum Forum. Please give it a listen and I look
        > forward to reading your comments. As I have posted earlier, I am now
        > living in southern Wisconsin where I perceive the Hum with less
        > intensity than I do in my summer residence in north central Minnesota,
        > and thus I barely hear the very low rumble (classic diesel engine
        > sound) so it is not included in this audio file.
        >
        > Does anyone hear the hum as I do?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Chip
        > WI/MN

      • Chip Johnson
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 28, 2008
          Hi Zaday,

          I'm quite certain that the component of what I hear that may be thought as being contributed by harmonic resonance from a 60 Hz hum from an electric utility is not from this source (at least not from my immediate electric service).  This is because at my Minnesota cabin, I live at the end of a utility leg that stretches about 3.5 miles from a transformer substation that was out of service for several hours last spring, and hence no power was being transmitted to my cabin--the Hum continued unabated in full presence through this outage.

          In Minnesota, I can hear these tones better while inside my cabin and best when in my small bathroom.  I also hear it very pronounced in a 10 x 12 foot sauna about 50-feet away from my cabin.  I hear it 2-miles down my road in an open swampy area or just outside of my cabin by the lake (when the wind is not to wild).

          Down here in suburban Madison, WI (Stoughton), the Hum is much subdued in the dwelling where I am staying, but on a very still evening, I can still barely hear it outside of the building in the back yard.

          With my simulation, I tried to recreate exactly what I hear (again, for some reason, the lower tones I hear present at my right ear and the higher tone seems to come from my left side).  The lower tones seem to switch back and forth, so this is not a recording artifact--I intended to try to reproduce this effect.

          Thanks for your feedback!

          Chip
          WI/MN

          I listened the minute I saw your post but was unable to respond until
          now.

          Very interesting, not a simple 60 hz tone nor seemingly a resonance of
          one. (Believe me, I have more than my share of resonance and 60 hz tones
          at work). It varies in the left ear, being very low and switching on and
          off. Is this the nature of your perception or an artifact of the
          simulation? Despite the lack of a true Diesel sound, it still has facets
          in common with my perception of it.

          Do you hear this inside a building, buildings, and/or outside as well?
          (i.e. do you hear the same presentation of the sound in various
          geographical locations?) It sounds like it's modulated. I wonder if it's
          ELF Radio Traffic or something similar.

          Thanks much for doing the simulation. It's interesting to hear what
          others hear. As I said before, sending my non-HUM hearer a link to the
          simulation that I hear has changed his mind about the topic. When you
          tell someone that you hear a HUM, they assume it's a simple fan type
          hum.

          Be well and Happy Thankgiving to you and yours.

          I see that the simulation varies in intensity in

          --- In humforum@yahoogroup s.com, "grantjohnson123" <chip@...> wrote:

          > Hello to all-
          >
          > I have recently posted yet another audio file in the Hum simulation
          > files folder on the Hum Forum. Please give it a listen and I look
          > forward to reading your comments. As I have posted earlier, I am now
          > living in southern Wisconsin where I perceive the Hum with less
          > intensity than I do in my summer residence in north central Minnesota,
          > and thus I barely hear the very low rumble (classic diesel engine
          > sound) so it is not included in this audio file.
          >
          > Does anyone hear the hum as I do?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Chip
          > WI/MN

        • zaday
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 28, 2008
            Hi Chip,

            If the missing link could only be set in stone. You've done a great job
            of paying attention to the HUM during power outages, so you have gained
            important data.

            I missed my opportunity the other night when the HUM was so loud I was
            initially frightened. (I recovered very quickly, it's just that I did
            not have any awareness of the HUM on the day in question, only to have
            the TV Sound muted and become aware of the HUM louder than I've ever
            heard it). I should have covered my ears to see if any attenuation
            occurred.

            Radio Interference, perhaps in my case in the city, but not in the
            country. I have Police Scanners and was initially unable to use them due
            to an interference referred to as Intermodulation. This causes the
            undesired signals to mix in the radio, interfering with desired
            frequencies, or showing up on frequencies (in the radio) other than
            originally broadcast. So, I can't even use the small telescoping antenna
            that comes with the radio, let alone use the outdoor antenna. On a lark,
            I got my outdoor antenna from storage and placed it on the front porch
            (on the side of home with the preponderance of broadcasting antennas).
            Of course, intermodulation was terrible. I relocated the antenna to the
            rear of the house, ground level, beliving that I was wasting my time. Lo
            and behold, the radio worked without the intermod. Strange. I can't use
            the indoor telescoping antenna, which should offer the least signal
            level to the radio, yet I can use an outdoor antenna (with gain) just by
            having it placed in the right area. I now find that my Shortwave Radio
            is no longer able to receive a specific frequency that came in
            particularly well for years, and the reason is that a local station's (I
            have not determined the source) signal is so powerful that the radio
            circuit is overwhelmed, you can hear the local station over modulated on
            the Shortwave Frequency. I have tried several radios, some Tabletop
            units (expensive) and some portable (not as expensive) and they all have
            problems in this room (where the computer is). Yet the radio that has a
            wire antenna out the back of the house is able to get the signal fairly
            well. He we go again with the home seemingly blocking the radio signals
            effectively.

            My wife is rushing me right now, I'll write more soon. Interested in
            your perception of the HUM and the web site on how we perceive low and
            high frequencies.

            Be well.

            Yet my experience with the HUM in the city is only recent, we heard it
            in the country several months before I became aware of it here (though
            my wife says she has heard it here for years).

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Chip Johnson <chip@...> wrote:

            > Hi Zaday,
            >
            > I'm quite certain that the component of what I hear that may be
            thought as being contributed by harmonic resonance from a 60 Hz hum from
            an electric utility is not from this source (at least not from my
            immediate electric service). This is because at my Minnesota cabin, I
            live at the end of a utility leg that stretches about 3.5 miles from a
            transformer substation that was out of service for several hours last
            spring, and hence no power was being transmitted to my cabin--the Hum
            continued unabated in full presence through this outage.

            > In Minnesota, I can hear these tones better while inside my cabin and
            best when in my small bathroom. I also hear it very pronounced in a 10
            x 12 foot sauna about 50-feet away from my cabin. I hear it 2-miles
            down my road in an open swampy area or just outside of my cabin by the
            lake (when the wind is not to wild).

            > Down here in suburban Madison, WI (Stoughton), the Hum is much subdued
            in the dwelling where I am staying, but on a very still evening, I can
            still barely hear it outside of the building in the back yard.

            > With my simulation, I tried to recreate exactly what I hear (again,
            for some reason, the lower tones I hear present at my right ear and the
            higher tone seems to come from my left side). The lower tones seem to
            switch back and forth, so this is not a recording artifact--I intended
            to try to reproduce this effect.

            > Thanks for your feedback!
            >
            > Chip
            > WI/MN
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Tom Becker
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 28, 2008
              > ... I can use an outdoor antenna (with gain) just by having it placed
              in the right area. I now find that my Shortwave Radio is no longer able
              to receive a specific frequency that came in particularly well for
              years, and the reason is that a local station's (I have not determined
              the source) signal is so powerful that the radio circuit is overwhelmed,
              you can hear the local station over modulated on the Shortwave Frequency.

              If you can hear the local station on top of the shortwave signal, why
              can't you identify it?

              Intermodulation is a product of two or more RF signals that mix
              non-linearly, usually because the signals' combined instantaneous
              amplitude in one receiver stage exceeds the design level that can be
              normally handled without producing significant intermod (usually the
              sums and differences of the frequencies involved).

              As an ex-broadcast engineer, I can advise you to contact the chief
              engineer of the station you can identify (who will try to help you; if
              he does not, [in the US] call the FCC Mass Media Bureau and ask for help
              with broadcast interference), or to move away from where you live. If
              you have such intermod problems that you cannot operate a utility
              scanner, perhaps you are in an unfortunate place to try to listen to
              shortwave. I'd move.

              Still, I'm missing the link to The Hum. Do you suspect that we are
              sensitive to intermod in high RF fields? How?

              I can tell you that I, and many others, have routinely been in combined
              RF fields of great magnitude - likely much stronger than any magnitude
              possible at your home. Never can I recall hearing modulation of any
              station involved, although I have felt my legs literally warming while
              passing through the aperture of a 100KW broadcast FM antenna. Further,
              several of the AM stations I maintained used the towers for more than
              one frequency simultaneously. At the base of such an antenna, one does
              not hear either station unless it is due to a gold tooth filling in
              contact with an amalgum filling, which makes a crude AM detector.

              Tom
            • auxsetreq
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 28, 2008
                I've been hearing this Hum for quite a few years now, and your latest
                attempt at simulating it is a near as it gets. Well done!
              • Chip Johnson
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 28, 2008
                  Thank you!  I put a lot of effort into trying to capture exactly what I hear and I am certainly curious to see if others hear it in the same manner.

                  May I ask from what region of the globe you live?

                  Thanks again,

                  Chip
                  WI/MN

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                    I live in London. The Hum you so well imitated here can be heard all
                    over the world as I travel quite a bit. A random two tone
                    mmmMMMmmmmMMMMMMmmmMMMMmm that's either on, off, or in between. No way
                    is it internal - ie tinnitus.
                  • Sandra Shultz
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                      My opinion is..... Hearing it around the world and in exactly the same
                      format. There's a good possibility it's coming from a "satellite".
                      Who's is a good question. This is just my theory.

                      Sandra

                      In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "auxsetreq" <auxsetreq@...> wrote:

                      > I live in London. The Hum you so well imitated here can be heard all
                      > over the world as I travel quite a bit. A random two tone
                      > mmmMMMmmmmMMMMMMmmmMMMMmm that's either on, off, or in between. No way
                      > is it internal - ie tinnitus.

                    • Tom Becker
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                        > ... it's coming from a "satellite".

                        Why the quotes?

                        Tom
                      • Tom Becker
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                          > ... mmmMMMmmmmMMM...

                          When I have the opportunity to listen acutely, I've realized that the
                          pumping (gain changes) of the Hum I hear is due to my heartbeat. It
                          does the same thing a distant voice does - modulating the Hum by pushing
                          its gain down as another sound takes precedence over it - via the ear's
                          AGC mechanism.

                          Tom
                        • Sandra Shultz
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Becker <gtbecker@...> wrote:

                            > Because it's just my quote alone...I didn't want to hear a lot of
                            flack from the scientific minds . Everyone quotes what it can't
                            be.....but until someone can say with a reasonable amount of knowledge
                            as to what it is.....I'm just passing on my thoughts.

                            Sandra

                            it's coming from a "satellite".

                            > Why the quotes?
                            >

                            > Tom

                          • Sandra Shultz
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                              The heart pumping is a totally different sound than the HUM.....In the
                              dead of night I'm sure everyone can listen for their heartbeat....not
                              to mention the blood running through the head. This also has nothing
                              to do with the HUM. The HUM has a on and off switch.....Good thing we
                              don't......LOL

                              Sandra

                              In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Becker <gtbecker@...> wrote:

                              > > ... mmmMMMmmmmMMM...
                              >
                              > When I have the opportunity to listen acutely, I've realized that the
                              > pumping (gain changes) of the Hum I hear is due to my heartbeat. It
                              > does the same thing a distant voice does - modulating the Hum by
                              pushing
                              > its gain down as another sound takes precedence over it - via the ear's
                              > AGC mechanism.
                              >

                              > Tom

                            • Tom Becker
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                                > The heart pumping is a totally different sound...

                                I did not say that I heard my heartbeat and confused it with the Hum,
                                Sandra. I said I believe my heartbeat modulates my Hum.

                                It's unfortunate that you are comfortable telling me that what I hear
                                must not be The Hum - "like some flack from the scientific minds", did
                                you say?

                                Tom
                              • Sandra Shultz
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                                  Please re-read your first response to my "Quote".....You said why the
                                  "quote"....I just explained why the quote was my opinion only. This
                                  post was before your "heartbeat". I'm sure you hear what you hear.
                                  You're running together two different posts. Sorry if you are offended.
                                  It was not my intent.

                                  Sandra

                                  Sandra In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Becker" <gtbecker@...> wrote:

                                  > > The heart pumping is a totally different sound...
                                  >
                                  > I did not say that I heard my heartbeat and confused it with the Hum,
                                  > Sandra. I said I believe my heartbeat modulates my Hum.
                                  >
                                  > It's unfortunate that you are comfortable telling me that what I hear
                                  > must not be The Hum - "like some flack from the scientific minds", did
                                  > you say?
                                  >

                                  > Tom

                                • Chip Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                                    I have noticed the same effect--the Hum I hear is also modulated by my heartbeat.  When I created my Hum simulation (Hum Sim.0.mov), I specifically tried to mimic this effect with a modulation wheel that I have on my MIDI keyboard--I tried for about 72 bpm; an average adult human heartbeat at rest.

                                    I have noticed another very subtle effect. When I exhale with moderate force--like blowing a puff of air out--the primary pitch that I hear, which is ~G2 (~98 Hz) drops to a ~D2(72 Hz).  Presumably, when I exhale, the cavitation in my ear where the Hum is received must slightly change in size (larger volume, I should think), whereby allowing for a drop in pitch.  This phenomenon is not really new, i.e. something of the same sort happens when one yawns while listening to sounds.

                                    Chip
                                    WI/MN

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
                                      Thanks for your response.  I am coming to believe that there must be a fairly constant, external stimulus that extends around the globe that causes the Hum.  And I agree with you that this is not tinnitus, which is usually perceived as a high pitched ringing.  I also believe that there is some physiological difference between Hearers and non-Hearers.

                                      Chip
                                      WI/MN USA

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
                                        Hi Tom,

                                        The Shortwave disturbance:

                                        1250 AM is driving the Signal Level Meter on the Shortwave Radio, tuned
                                        to 1250 AM, at +50 db. It's devastating much of my shortwave reception,
                                        especially in the 3 MHz through 6 MHz Range. The interference is
                                        relatively new to this location. The Radios affected include a Yaesu
                                        FRG-100, R-75, a few portable radios, being two Sangean Radios, and my
                                        Sony. It's not radio specific.

                                        Antenna wise I am talking about a wire antenna that goes around the
                                        circumference of the room at ceiling level, also the telescoping
                                        antennas on the portables. I have previously experienced adequate
                                        reception using this arrangement without interference.

                                        Any advise on the specific interference above?

                                        (When I mentioned Imtermod, I meant it more in reference to my VHF/UHF
                                        Scanners and HAM Radios [when monitoring the Public Service Bands] ).

                                        The HUM:

                                        The tie-in to Radio Interference and the HUM? I have believed the HUM to
                                        be of an acoustic origin, and not quite swayed from that opinion as of
                                        yet. Nevertheless, I had (what I facetiously refer to as an Attack of
                                        the HUM) while sitting in my livingroom, on the couch for a least half
                                        and hour or more with no previous awareness (on the night in question)
                                        of the HUM. Suddenly, when I went to Fast Forward the show I was
                                        watching, (muting the stereo as a result) I was besieged by an onset of
                                        the HUM that I thought was impossible, both in terms of the sudden onset
                                        and volume. I did not believe that anyone could hear it that loud. I sat
                                        dumbfounded, waiting to see what would happen next, unable to act since
                                        I was not prepared. It eventually subsided into a very mild form, common
                                        to what I would hear at this location. My wife, sitting next to me,
                                        heard it as well. She claims to have experienced such outbursts of the
                                        HUM on several occasions in this house.

                                        It knocks me a little out of the Acoustic Camp, though not entirely.
                                        Gravity waves perhaps? But, in an area plagued by Radio Interference, it
                                        is tempting to believe that they are somehow responsible. If I would
                                        postulate at the cause of the HUM, based on Radio Signals, I would guess
                                        that the HUM is not produced by a single source, but by a combination,
                                        or confluence, of signals (perhaps even multiple frequencies are
                                        required). This may explain the sudden onset and sudden decay.

                                        A Cell Phone Tower has recently been placed at the bottom of my street.
                                        Problem is that the transmitting elements are actually below the 1st
                                        level of my house, as the tower was probably built to cover dead spots
                                        in reception in the relatively deep valley which it sits above. Also, in
                                        the country, where we would commonly hear the HUM, it has been strangely
                                        silent (barely perceptable). Our place in the country is a summer
                                        vacation spot. Cell Phone Towers pepper the landscape. I know that the
                                        weather is colder, perhaps affecting the HUM, (yet is occurs here in the
                                        city periodically), but the other aspect is that there are no
                                        vacationers. No vacationers, FAR fewer cell phones for an otherwise
                                        rural area. Fewer cell phones (or Colder Weather), and almost no HUM.

                                        Remember, I am thinking of a confluence of signals (or multiple
                                        frequencies), not a single and easily reproduced signal.

                                        Be well.

                                        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Becker <gtbecker@...> wrote:

                                        > As an ex-broadcast engineer, I can advise you to contact the chief
                                        > engineer of the station you can identify (who will try to help you; if
                                        > he does not, [in the US] call the FCC Mass Media Bureau and ask for
                                        help
                                        > with broadcast interference), or to move away from where you live. If
                                        > you have such intermod problems that you cannot operate a utility
                                        > scanner, perhaps you are in an unfortunate place to try to listen to
                                        > shortwave. I'd move.
                                        >
                                        > Still, I'm missing the link to The Hum. Do you suspect that we are
                                        > sensitive to intermod in high RF fields? How?
                                        >
                                        > I can tell you that I, and many others, have routinely been in
                                        combined
                                        > RF fields of great magnitude - likely much stronger than any magnitude
                                        > possible at your home. Never can I recall hearing modulation of any
                                        > station involved, although I have felt my legs literally warming while
                                        > passing through the aperture of a 100KW broadcast FM antenna.
                                        Further,
                                        > several of the AM stations I maintained used the towers for more than
                                        > one frequency simultaneously. At the base of such an antenna, one
                                        does
                                        > not hear either station unless it is due to a gold tooth filling in
                                        > contact with an amalgum filling, which makes a crude AM detector.
                                        >

                                        > Tom
                                      • zaday
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
                                          Hi,

                                          Not meaning to detract from the discussion of Heart Beat Regulating
                                          aspects of the perceived HUM, (which I find fascinating and revealing),
                                          one comment on the breathing-out issue.

                                          The heart is regulated by the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous
                                          systems. The parasympathetic, I believe, has more of a direct action on
                                          the heart, serving to slow its rate.

                                          This is mind, there is, what is referred to as Respiratory Sinus
                                          Arrhythmia (this is normal), a function of the parasympathetic nervous
                                          system via the vagal nerve, that causes a slowing of the heart beat as
                                          we breathe out and an increase in heart beat as we breathe in (actually
                                          the vagal drive is asserted on breathing out, therefore slowing of the
                                          heart, and the drive is withheld or minimized on breathing in, therefore
                                          allowing the heart to speed up). When you are considering issues about
                                          the regulation of the perceived HUM in relation to the heart beat, and
                                          you included such aspects as breathing in or out deeply, please remember
                                          that the heart rate will be changed, possibly altering the perceived
                                          timing of the HUM.

                                          For most the effect will likely be minimal, but for some it may be more
                                          protracted. In young, healthy, or conditioned individuals, it may be
                                          more pronounced. For those of use that are couch potatoes, don't expect
                                          as much change. I am not sure if it effects this discussion, but offer
                                          it nevertheless.

                                          Be well all.

                                          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Chip Johnson <chip@...> wrote:

                                          > I have noticed the same effect--the Hum I hear is also modulated by my
                                          heartbeat. When I created my Hum simulation (Hum Sim.0.mov), I
                                          specifically tried to mimic this effect with a modulation wheel that I
                                          have on my MIDI keyboard--I tried for about 72 bpm; an average adult
                                          human heartbeat at rest.

                                          > I have noticed another very subtle effect. When I exhale with moderate
                                          force--like blowing a puff of air out--the primary pitch that I hear,
                                          which is ~G2 (~98 Hz) drops to a ~D2(72 Hz). Presumably, when I exhale,
                                          the cavitation in my ear where the Hum is received must slightly change
                                          in size (larger volume, I should think), whereby allowing for a drop in
                                          pitch. This phenomenon is not really new, i.e. something of the same
                                          sort happens when one yawns while listening to sounds.

                                          > Chip
                                          > WI/MN
                                        • Tom Becker
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
                                            > ...1250AM [] +50 db.

                                            If that signal is new, perhaps you've just had a new broadcast station
                                            sign-on in your area, indeed, in your neighborhood if you mean S9+50.
                                            The obvious suggestion is to identify the station and contact the chief
                                            engineer. If it is a new station or one that has just increased its
                                            ERP, you are entitled to reasonable attempts to remedy interference that
                                            the station causes. If it is just a single signal that causes your
                                            woes, you might be able to reduce or remove it with a notch filter in
                                            the antenna feedline, before the first receiver RF stage. The new
                                            station might be encouraged to provide such a solution, but you can
                                            likely build a simple effective filter yourself, if necessary. Once the
                                            offending signal strength is reduced sufficiently, intermod and other
                                            overload effects of the receiver should essentially disappear.

                                            If you are also receiving harmonics of the 1250 signal - after reducing
                                            the fundamental frequency at the antenna - then something external to
                                            your receiver is generating them. It is possible that there is a
                                            problem at the station itself - a bad antenna insulator, for instance -
                                            that is the source of the harmonics. Again, the station engineer should
                                            be helpful and - again, if he is not, call the FCC.

                                            If the signal is not modulated but is very new it is possible that the
                                            station is in construction and the antenna pattern is being tuned.
                                            According to the Rules, the carrier should be identified during testing
                                            but, often, it is not. If this is the case, you might call your county
                                            code inspector and ask where a radio station is being constructed and by
                                            whom. He should know.

                                            Once you find the source, you should also find a sympathetic engineer.
                                            Good luck.

                                            Tom
                                          • zaday
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
                                              Hi,

                                              Oops, yes, it is 50 db over S9. 1250 AM WEAE in Pittsburgh, a 5000 Watt
                                              Station, is the ESPN Network. Another station in Pittsburgh, 1020 AM
                                              KDKA, a 50,000 Watt Station 24 hours per day, produces just 20 db over
                                              S9 even at this late hour. KDKA Causes no interference. WEAE's antenna
                                              is located on a hill across from me, not that far away. Something has
                                              changed since I moved here though. I did not have the interference
                                              before.
                                              As I explained, I have a simple wire antenna, no insulators, it is not a
                                              Transmitting Radio. (Not a HAM Radio). But the interference also occurs
                                              on the Portable Radios, something new to them as well.

                                              Thanks much.