Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: HUM_FORUM: Dear Chip

  • Tom Becker
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 6, 2008
      > ... an arrogant refusal to admit other options exist...

      Sandra, I am an engineer (of scientific principles), not a scientist,
      per se, but I can tell you that a competent engineer will design
      something that he is _certain_ will work once constructed. He can do
      that because the materials, methods and processes he uses in the design
      are well understood, are commonly accepted and yield reliably repeatable
      results. If other options exist that been proven by the industry he
      will likely use them, too. He will not, if he is competent, arrogantly
      use alternative notions that have not been subjected to appropriate
      scrutiny; to do so might threaten life.

      I do not agree that engineering (read as applied science) arrogantly
      ignores new ideas, but it considers them carefully and thoroughly before
      adopting and integrating them into existing knowledge and practice, lest
      bridges fall at most inopportune times.

      Is suspect the discipline within science, per se, is the same. Do you
      think that is improper?

      Tom
    • zaday
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 27, 2008
        Hi,

        26 out of 26 correct on the Distorted Tunes Test. Unfortunately, there is a bias on this test, as I am sure some younger people may not be familiar with all of the tunes used for the test.

        Distorted Tunes Test: http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/tunetest/
        Musical Listening Test: http://www.delosis.com/listening/home.html

        Auditory Localization: http://www.psypress.com/mather/resources/topic.asp?topic=ch05-tp-03
        Demo, the Precedence Effect:  http://www.psypress.com/mather/resources/swf/Demo5_2.swf

        Auditory Scene Analysis: http://www.psypress.com/mather/resources/topic.asp?topic=ch05-tp-05
        It's actually interesting if you take the time to listen to the samples and compare it to the spectrograph. What seems incomprehensible to the eye on the spectrograph is readily discerned from the background noise/music by the ear: http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~alistair/research/dphil/enm/asa/complex.html
        Also Streaming: http://www.psypress.com/mather/resources/swf/Demo5_3.swf

        Loudness Perception: http://www.psypress.com/mather/resources/topic.asp?topic=ch05-tp-01#ch05-it-01
        Demo: http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Equal_Loudness_Contours.html

        As I ferret out other links, I'll post them as well.

        Thanks again.

        Be well.