Dog's Ear Emits Radio Signals

  • Steve Nazigian
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008

      From www.thebostonchannel.com this ABC affiliate has an intriguing video
      of a Chihuahua with big ears that constanly emit an audible high-
      frequency tone. Now, maybe the ears are only collecting ambient room
      sounds. You be the judge.

      Video link

      http://www.thebostonchannel.com/multimedia/m/21213113/dog_s_ear_emits_radio_signals.htm

    • cooperman_98
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        Very interesting link - thank you.

        Don't sea shells do a similar thing ?.
      • Tom Becker
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
          http://www.thebostonchannel.com/multimedia/m/21213113/dog_s_ear_emits_radio_signals.htm

          The dog might, indeed, be demodulating a nearby (I suspect powerful)
          signal source. I'd be looking nearby.

          Attached are three spectrograms of the audio from the WOIO YouTube
          piece. Two of them show an FSK (Frequency Shift Keying) signal that
          shifts from ~5500Hz down to ~5200Hz for ~250mS. This is probably
          digital data of some sort, perhaps an idle communications channel. One
          of the three audio clips presented is a slightly different frequency and
          is unmodulated.

          I'll spend a little more time on this most interesting clip, but I'd be
          looking at an RF spectrum analyzer, were I there.

          Tom
        • Tom Becker
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
            Sorry, I guess the attachments were lost. Here are the files from my
            server.

            http://rightime.com/Hum/capt465.jpg
            http://rightime.com/Hum/capt466.jpg
            http://rightime.com/Hum/capt467.jpg

            Tom
          • Jim S
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
              Hi all,

              In regard to this, see Objective Tinnitus at this link or elsewhere by doing a search on your own for "Objective Tinnitus" (with the quotes).

              http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/tinnitus/TIN_whatis.html

              Be well.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
                In a message dated 01/11/2008 16:33:43 GMT Standard Time, cooperman_98@... writes:
                Don't sea shells do a similar thing ?.

                (I've not heard about that !
                Do you mean listening to a shell and ' hearing the sea ' ?)
                R.M.
                LFNS Helpline.
                England.