Re: HUM_FORUM: coping...sleeping!

  • Chip Johnson
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2008
      I should add that my space heater has a built-in fan--not just radiant heat.  I imagine a small, portable air cleaner should work as well with the added benefit of having cleaner air to breathe whilst falling asleep.

      Chip

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2008
        Dear New Member from Scotland, I too have had terrible problems
        sleeping. I have bought an ipod and some small speakers. I then
        recorded some meditation tapes which play gentle rain so that they
        play all night. I then try and concentrate on listening to the rain.
        I also have valerian drops by my bedside which is a natural herbal
        remedy which is supposed to help you sleep. If other things have made
        me stressed during the day then that makes it worse, as you would
        expect. Its not that easy to find good recordings of rainfall. The
        best ones I have found are on www.centrepointe.com
        My sincere best wishes
        jenny

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "hummingbird1008" <mack.allan@...>
        wrote:

        > I am a new member, having found humforum on the weekend, looking for
        > solutions. Most of the recent posts seem to be dealing with
        locations
        > and possible causes of the Hum. I have recently returned to my wee
        > hoose in Scotland after 8 months in Vancouver, with no Hum. You all
        > sound so sane and scientific, I'm envious; 3 weeks here and I am now
        > sleep-deprived, and every night is worse. I moved into a b&b 2
        nights
        > ago, for some relief but the dreaded Hum returned last night. I'm
        way
        > past thinking the sound is external, I'm sure it's what my inner ear
        > does with low frequency noise. This is a cry for help! Temporary
        > relief first, because I will be moving. Thanks for any ideas, I need
        > to sleep.
        >
        > [MODERATOR: the experience of "no Hum" for 8 months in
        > Vancouver followed by Hum again in Scotland suggests that
        > the source indeed is external]

      • hummingbird1008
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2008
          I agree wholeheartedly with the city background noise cover theory. I am in a small town
          right on the Atlantic, with lots of wind and rain, but not the range of city noises. How
          bizarre. Maybe I should head into downtown Glasgow and fall asleep at a bar!

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, <stonehollowmn@...> wrote:

          > - or some difference in environment affects the perception. I NEVER hear the hum in
          large cities, most likely due to background noise. A light rain, wind, small fan - all are
          sufficient to prevent me from hearing the hum.

          > Vancouver has a total metro population of 2.5M+. The population of ALL of Scotland is
          about 5M.

          > Arne
          > Central MN USA
          >
          > [MODERATOR: the experience of "no Hum" for 8 months in
          > Vancouver followed by Hum again in Scotland suggests that
          > the source indeed is external]

        • msgilltaylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2008
            Hi all,

            I have an iPhone and it has some great apps you can download that are
            designed to help you fall asleep. This has been my lifesaver! My hum
            is mostly in my left ear, so I lie on my right ear and put one of
            those 'in-ear' headphones in the other ear and listen to whichever
            noise I fancy! It has everything from rain, wind and thunder to
            rainforests, the seashore and many others. I've found that the two
            best apps are called 'Ambiance' and 'aSleep'. aSleep also has some
            meditation tunes which are quite good too - and you can set it to fade
            out after a pre-determined time and then switch off. It's really made
            a difference for me!

            I'm based in Milton Keynes in the UK by the way and have been hearing
            the classically-described hum on and off since mid Sept.

            Cheers,

            Gill

            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "hummingbird1008" <mack.allan@...> wrote:

            > I agree wholeheartedly with the city background noise cover theory.
            I am in a small town
            > right on the Atlantic, with lots of wind and rain, but not the range
            of city noises. How
            > bizarre. Maybe I should head into downtown Glasgow and fall asleep
            at a bar!

            > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, <stonehollowmn@> wrote:
            > >
            > > - or some difference in environment affects the perception. I
            NEVER hear the hum in
            > large cities, most likely due to background noise. A light rain,
            wind, small fan - all are
            > sufficient to prevent me from hearing the hum.
            > >
            > > Vancouver has a total metro population of 2.5M+. The population
            of ALL of Scotland is
            > about 5M.
            > >

            > > Arne
            > > Central MN USA
            > >
            > > [MODERATOR: the experience of "no Hum" for 8 months in
            > > Vancouver followed by Hum again in Scotland suggests that
            > > the source indeed is external]

          • Ron and Maureen Lefebvre
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2008
              What got me out of desperation mode as far as sleeping is concerned was first, the bathroom fan at night. And second, an ipod, which I wear with ear buds when I can't sleep. I "listen" to scripture reading, but soothing music or white noise would probably work too. I put "listen" in italics because I try not to actually concentrate on the words so much, but just let them lull me to sleep.

              My recent update is that I experimented with removing my stetzer filters for about 4 days and then put them back. There was a definite improvement WITH them. So they are staying.

              Also, in the past two or so weeks I have noticed long periods of time (an hour or more at a time) when there was absolute silence in my home. I began to hope that I was having a healing take place in my brain/ears. Then I read on one of my lists (I believe an ems list, but maybe it was here?), that trees touching the powerlines between your home and the substation can cause arcing on the lines. About two weeks ago there was major work done by a hydro crew about 1/2 mile down the road, removing a long stretch of trees that were really close to the power lines. Coincidence???

              In any case, I'm just feeling very thankful that my days at home are not so painful.

              Maureen in BC, Canada
            • hummingbird1008
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 15, 2008
                thanks for these ideas. There isn't a bathroom fan available, but I will try the ipod. What is
                a stetzer filter? I googled it, but didn't get a good idea. Did you buy it in BC? If it does
                what I think a filter would do, mask the hum, that would be amazing. I'm encouraged that
                you've found solutions that work for you. Interesting about the power lines and tree work,
                great that you can hear - or not hear! - the difference in your home. Touch wood, the
                days inside the house here are wonderful, that's what makes the night hum so frustrating!
                Thanks again, Mackenzie

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Ron and Maureen Lefebvre" <shumway8@...>