Possible source of the you-know-what?

  • J Scott Geare
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
      Pay special attention to the last paragraph. I have NOT checked this
      item for accuracy or authenticity -it was sent to me by a friend.

      -JS Geare

      Earth's Cries Recorded in Space
      Robert Roy Britt
      Senior Science Writer
      SPACE.comTue Jul 1, 12:33 AM ET

      Earth emits an ear-piercing series of chirps and whistles that could
      be heard by any aliens who might be listening, astronomers have
      discovered.

      The sound is awful, a new recording from space reveals.
      Scientists have known about the radiation since the 1970s. It is
      created high above the planet, where charged particles from the solar
      wind collide with Earth's magnetic field. It is related to the
      phenomenon that generates the colorful aurora, or Northern Lights.
      The radio waves are blocked by the ionosphere, a charged layer atop
      our atmosphere, so they do not reach Earth. That's good, because the
      out-of-this-world radio waves are 10,000 times stronger than even the
      strongest military signal, the researchers said, and they would
      overwhelm all radio stations on the planet.

      Theorists had long figured the radio waves, which were not well
      studied, oozed into space in an ever-widening cone, like light from a
      torch.

      But new data from the European Space Agency's Cluster mission, a
      group of four high-flying satellites, reveals the bursts of radio
      waves head off to the cosmos in beam-like fashion, instead.
      This means they're more detectable to anyone who might be listening.
      The Auroral Kilometric Radiation (AKR), as it is called, is beamed
      out in a narrow plane, as if someone had put a mask over a torch and
      left a slit for the radiation to escape.

      This flat beam could be detected by aliens who've figured this
      process out, the researchers say. The knowledge could also be used by
      Earth's astronomers to detect planets around other stars, if they can
      build a new radio telescope big enough for the search. They could
      also learn more about Jupiter and Saturn by studying AKR, which
      should emit from the auroral activity on those worlds, too.

      "Whenever you have aurora, you get AKR," said Robert Mutel, a
      University of Iowa researcher involved in the work.
      The AKR bursts -- Mutel and colleagues studied 12,000 of them --
      originate in spots the size of a large city a few thousand miles
      above Earth and above the region where the Northern Lights form.
      "We can now determine exactly where the emission is coming from,"
      Mutel said.

      Our planet is also known to hum, a mysterious low-frequency sound
      thought to be caused by the churning ocean or the roiling atmosphere.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2008
        In a message dated 01/07/2008 17:02:14 GMT Standard Time, jsgeare@... writes:
        Our planet is also known to hum, a mysterious low-frequency sound
        thought to be caused by the churning ocean or the roiling atmosphere.
        Hi all,
        Who says this exactly, and what firm evidence do/did they have ?
        Best Wishes,
        R.M.
        LFNS Helpline.England.