Tom Moir responds

  • Tom Becker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
      Wed 11/06/2008 06:43 NZ
      Dear Tom,

      I have never looked at the hum forums and don't have time at present
      as I am organising an international conference. Good luck in your
      quest however.

      regards

      Tom Moir

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "coer_12" <coer_12@...> wrote:

        > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Becker" <gtbecker@> wrote:
        >

        > > I do not represent here that these are Hum recordings. It is very
        > > interesting, though, that these "aggregate rumble" (my term)
        > > recordings sound very much alike. What do others hear?
        > >

        > > Tom
        > > Cape Coral
        > >

        > I can distinguish a difference between them but I'd describe them
        all
        > the same way, other than volume and slightly higher pitch, from one
        > the other. That's just a quick take.
        >
        > Coer

      • Sandra Shultz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "coer_12" <coer_12@...> wrote:

          > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Becker" <gtbecker@> wrote:
          >

          > > I do not represent here that these are Hum recordings. It is very
          > > interesting, though, that these "aggregate rumble" (my term)
          > > recordings sound very much alike. What do others hear?
          > >

          > > Tom
          > > Cape Coral
          > >

          > I can distinguish a difference between them but I'd describe them
          all
          > the same way, other than volume and slightly higher pitch, from one
          > the other. That's just a quick take.
          >
          > Coer

          I agree....The recordings sound more like a rumble.....It's not the
          hum I'm hearing.
          Schulsand
        • Matthew Brown
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
            Hi Tom,

            I too had a look at CapeCoral vs Surrey, but couldn't find any real analysed correlation that stood out. They do "sound" very similar though, but that must be due to the brain not discriminating well at such low frequencies.

            Matthew

            Tom Becker wrote:

            Here are three left/right comparison splices of the three available
            rumble recordings (deliberately avoiding calling these hums), from
            Auckland (2006, apparently), Cape Coral (20080525) and Surrey
            (20080608), and those individual files.

            CapeCoral-Auckland:
            http://rightime. com/Hum/CapeCora l-Auckland_ Stereo_Rumble. wav

            CapeCoral-Surrey:
            http://rightime. com/Hum/CapeCora l-Surrey_ Stereo_Rumble. wav

            Surrey-Auckland:
            http://rightime. com/Hum/Surrey- Auckland_ Stereo_Rumble. wav

            Auckland (TJMoir): http://www.massey. ac.nz/~tjmoir/ realhum.wav

            CapeCoral (GTBecker):
            http://rightime. com/Hum/Gravity/ CapeCoral2008052 5Below100Hz. mp3

            Surrey (Matthew "resonantworks" ):
            (http://f1.grp. yahoofs.com/ v1/AKVOSPnIU1AP8 iK7Kb-kCaNbdTO8i J7iwfypH7VCE9z7t LKyJeUow71ihnGHZ qedvIBUrI- tNHWzQFea1xaUXH8 If7qY/Surrey% 2C%20UK%20Hum% 20-%2020080608/ c20080608% 400502-20080608% 400504-filtered- 2.mp3

            Technically, I find essentially no correlation between any of these
            three sources (but, please, others should not assume that is so; find
            correlations if you can); Lissajous figures are pretty but look
            random, the spectra of each is different, and there is, of course, no
            temporal correlation - but listening to them suggests similarity.
            Listeners should wear closed-cup stereo headphones or sealed earbuds;
            laptop and most desktop speakers will not reproduce these sounds.