Auckland-Surrey-CapeCoral comparisons

  • Tom Becker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10 9:42 AM
      Here are three left/right comparison splices of the three available
      rumble recordings (deliberately avoiding calling these hums), from
      Auckland (2006, apparently), Cape Coral (20080525) and Surrey
      (20080608), and those individual files.

      CapeCoral-Auckland:
      http://rightime.com/Hum/CapeCoral-Auckland_Stereo_Rumble.wav

      CapeCoral-Surrey:
      http://rightime.com/Hum/CapeCoral-Surrey_Stereo_Rumble.wav

      Surrey-Auckland:
      http://rightime.com/Hum/Surrey-Auckland_Stereo_Rumble.wav

      Auckland (TJMoir): http://www.massey.ac.nz/~tjmoir/realhum.wav

      CapeCoral (GTBecker):
      http://rightime.com/Hum/Gravity/CapeCoral20080525Below100Hz.mp3

      Surrey (Matthew "resonantworks"):
      (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AKVOSPnIU1AP8iK7Kb-kCaNbdTO8iJ7iwfypH7VCE9z7tLKyJeUow71ihnGHZqedvIBUrI-tNHWzQFea1xaUXH8If7qY/Surrey%2C%20UK%20Hum%20-%2020080608/c20080608%400502-20080608%400504-filtered-2.mp3

      Technically, I find essentially no correlation between any of these
      three sources (but, please, others should not assume that is so; find
      correlations if you can); Lissajous figures are pretty but look
      random, the spectra of each is different, and there is, of course, no
      temporal correlation - but listening to them suggests similarity.
      Listeners should wear closed-cup stereo headphones or sealed earbuds;
      laptop and most desktop speakers will not reproduce these sounds.

      I do not represent here that these are Hum recordings. It is very
      interesting, though, that these "aggregate rumble" (my term)
      recordings sound very much alike. What do others hear?

      Tom
      Cape Coral
    • coer_12
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10 11:40 AM
        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Becker" <gtbecker@...> wrote:

        > I do not represent here that these are Hum recordings. It is very
        > interesting, though, that these "aggregate rumble" (my term)
        > recordings sound very much alike. What do others hear?
        >

        > Tom
        > Cape Coral

        I can distinguish a difference between them but I'd describe them all
        the same way, other than volume and slightly higher pitch, from one to
        the other. That's just a quick take.

        Coer
      • Tom Becker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10 12:00 PM
          Wed 11/06/2008 06:43 NZ
          Dear Tom,

          I have never looked at the hum forums and don't have time at present
          as I am organising an international conference. Good luck in your
          quest however.

          regards

          Tom Moir

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10 1:21 PM
            --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "coer_12" <coer_12@...> wrote:

            > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Becker" <gtbecker@> wrote:
            >

            > > I do not represent here that these are Hum recordings. It is very
            > > interesting, though, that these "aggregate rumble" (my term)
            > > recordings sound very much alike. What do others hear?
            > >

            > > Tom
            > > Cape Coral
            > >

            > I can distinguish a difference between them but I'd describe them
            all
            > the same way, other than volume and slightly higher pitch, from one
            > the other. That's just a quick take.
            >
            > Coer

          • Sandra Shultz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10 1:23 PM
              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "coer_12" <coer_12@...> wrote:

              > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Becker" <gtbecker@> wrote:
              >

              > > I do not represent here that these are Hum recordings. It is very
              > > interesting, though, that these "aggregate rumble" (my term)
              > > recordings sound very much alike. What do others hear?
              > >

              > > Tom
              > > Cape Coral
              > >

              > I can distinguish a difference between them but I'd describe them
              all
              > the same way, other than volume and slightly higher pitch, from one
              > the other. That's just a quick take.
              >
              > Coer

              I agree....The recordings sound more like a rumble.....It's not the
              hum I'm hearing.
              Schulsand
            • Matthew Brown