Re: HUM_FORUM: Meditation and the HUM

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2008
      In a message dated 06/06/2008 13:11:13 GMT Standard Time, resonantworks@... writes:

      Hi Jeffrey,

      Thanks for the very interesting read!  Most of what you have quoted seems to suggest more a "white noise" sound rather than a constant drone or rumbling.  Wouldn't they have described what we hear as "constant rumbling like distant thunder" or something more along the line of an idling truck?  Speaking for myself, the last time I've done any decent "no-thinking" was more than two years back and yet this "hum" seems louder today than ever.

      I'm inclined to think that some are physically more sensitive to low frequency "sound" (or whatever it is) than others, especially when it can be recorded using decent audio equipment with the right conditions.  I can confirm that with my own findings.
      See: http://www.smh. com.au/news/ technology/ mystery-noise- is-a-real- humdinger/ 2006/10/24/ 1161455714733. html

      All the best,
      Matthew

      Mystery noise is a real humdinger
      Scientists Dr Fakhrul Alam and Dr Tom Moir with a high-sensitivity digital sound recorder.

      Scientists Dr Fakhrul Alam and Dr Tom Moir with a high-sensitivity digital sound recorder.
      Photo: Massey University

      Dr Moir rules out geological factors. "It's more likely to be things like pipes under the ground - you know, gas pipes, sewerage pipes, factories in the distance."

      R.M.:  Although I agree distant factories could be producing a 'residue' of low frequency noise,

      I need to make a comment on underground pipes :

      Dr. Geoff Leventhall pointed out that if pipes were  ever making a humming, under ground,

      then that sound would have to get through metres of soil,

       and would have to re-radiate out, in order to be heard.

      And for that to happen, the source would need to be massive, and therefore detectable over the pipes,

      on the reasonable assumption that a noise is louder at source.

      I have often listened to gas pipes , including the very large diameter ones,

      and have never heard anything like

      a hum, but only a faint hissing sound from the gas travelling along.

      Listen to a simulation of the sound (courtesy of Phil Strong). Most people won't be able to hear it, but if you play it in something like Windows Media Player and turn on the visualisation you will "see" the sound waves.

      R.M. : the above would imply acoustic sound.

      There may be other phenomena that we don't yet understand,

      but I am still of the humble opinion that the vast majority of Hum Hearers are getting

      an actual acoustic noise, not tinnitus,

      neither do I think that radio waves, radar, cell phone towers, geological effects, etc., are involved.

      No-one can say definitely that they are NOT, of course, but with our present knowledge,

      one has to look first at the most LIKELY reason.

      Plus if any exotic' theories come up, test those rigorously against nature, to see if they are feasible.

      It is an easy trap to fall into, when under stress from relentless noise,

      to take on an unusual theory, without credible, demonstrable proof,

      and repeatable  current  experiments to show what is going on.

      Different areas of the world may have different frequencies constituting their local 'hums',

      which seems reasonable to expect, may I suggest, since there are so many

      different human activities that result in  low frequency noise.

      Low Frequency Tinnitus is apparently very rare.

      Most tinnitus manifests as a higher frequency, e.g., hissing, ringing, crackling sounds.

      We must also bear in mind that some medications can make hearing more sensitive,

       and this might account for some people's difficulty.

      This is what happened to me, with benzo-diazepines, which I will never touch again.

      I hope these points may be helpful.

      Best Wishes,

      R.M.,

      LFNS Helpline, England.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2008
        In a message dated 07/06/2008 00:31:45 GMT Standard Time, blue_agate11@... writes:
        Has any one out there ever been told that aspirin can cause ringing in your ears?  I've never really found out at what dosage levels you need to be at for this malady to kick in but it would make some sense with me.
        ( R.M. at LFNS Helpline here:
        Years ago I had an abscess under a newly repaired tooth : the dentist has unwittingly sealed in some infection in the root canal, and the whole lot had to be done again ! Before I could get to the dentist, I had serious pain, and took aspirin, I took too many, after being so distressed and having been desperate for some rest from the intense pain,  and got high pitched tinnitus.
        This fits in with what I found out several years later , from the Drugs Advisory Board, that certain medications can cause super-sensitive hearing.
        There also some medical conditions that do the same, e.g., fibromyalgia.
        I learnt this from a sufferer of fibromyalgia who contacted the Helpline.)

        For the last five years I have taken percoset 10/650 mg. at 1 four times a day.  The 10 part is how much of the opiate is in there and the 650 is the amount of aspirin.  It is only logical to assume that after consuming this much aspirin for such a long period of time has some kind of ill side effect on me.  I was hearing this hum before I began taking this drug.  I have also noticed with it that the more stressed I am the louder it becomes along with being more irritating.
        R.M. again :
        that is also in keeping with what I found out about the psychological reactions to noise : stress makes you react 'worse' than if you are totally relaxed, therefore seeking out any relaxation techniques that work for you could be helpful.
          I have discovered myself that meditation does help to control some of the more debilitating effects from it.  It's taken me a while to even put meditation to use for this purpose.  Either I was unable to quiet my mind enough for it to be of some use or I got too relaxed and fell asleep!  I still struggle with meditation but it is getting a little easier for me the more I use it.  I have used it with some success in staving off asthma attacks.  I have a two-fold problem with that.  When I experience an asthma attack, I begin to cough badly and wheeze.  I'll also not be able to catch my breath and I would begin to hyperventilate only compounding the problem.  It seems like the hum intensifies with an asthma attack too.  Does any one else experience this if you are an asthma sufferer?  I don't often have much to report here but, I do read the posts.  I really wish there was an acceptable scientific explanation for what we are all hearing and a solution.  With all of us hum hearers we can't all be crackpots (or can we? LOL!).
        ---------------
        ( R.M. : No, certainly not !
        I have only encountered a small number of  'damaged ceramics ',
        among hundreds of enquirers.
        Most people are perfectly normal ).
        I've been hearing the hum since the mid-80's.  It was at the worst for me then in intensity possibly because it was "unknown" to me and there really wasn't anyone to talk to about this problem.  I used to think back then that I was imagining it.  My worst trip to Santa Fe New Mexico tho occurred in 1986 when we visited my husband's small hometown of Cerrillos New Mexico.  Cerrillos is not very far from Taos where the hum began to be noticed the most.  The hum literally made me physically ill it was so strong.  I was nauseated and kept a severe, almost migraine like headache the whole visit.  I haven't heard it in that intensity for a long time.  I also experienced it at a louder pitch than normal for me when I visited my girlfriend in England.  She lives in Orpington, Kent County about 70 miles southwest of London I believe that is the correct direction.  Any way I must get going and get my hubby some dinner.  I have been following all the threads with interest.

        Susan Schmitt
        Germantown, Maryland,
        Montgomery County, USA

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2008
          Susan....It's Di Ford here in California.  I know you've already heard from some others, but....YES.  Taking too much aspirin can most definitely cause ringing in the ears.  I found it out the hard way also when trying to rid myself of the fever and aches of the Hong Kong Flue back in aprox '86.  So please be careful.

          Susan Schmitt <blue_agate11@...> wrote:
          Has any one out there ever been told that aspirin can cause ringing in your ears?  I've never really found out at what dosage levels you need to be at for this malady to kick in but it would make some sense with me.  For the last five years I have taken percoset 10/650 mg. at 1 four times a day.  The 10 part is how much of the opiate is in there and the 650 is the amount of aspirin.  It is only logical to assume that after consuming this much aspirin for such a long period of time has some kind of ill side effect on me.  I was hearing this hum before I began taking this drug.  I have also noticed with it that the more stressed I am the louder it becomes along with being more irritating.  I have discovered myself that meditation does help to control some of the more debilitating effects from it.  It's taken me a while to even put meditation to use for this purpose.  Either I was unable to quiet my mind enough for it to be of some use or I got too relaxed and fell asleep!  I still struggle with meditation but it is getting a little easier for me the more I use it.  I have used it with some success in staving off asthma attacks.  I have a two-fold problem with that.  When I experience an asthma attack, I begin to cough badly and wheeze.  I'll also not be able to catch my breath and I would begin to hyperventilate only compounding the problem.  It seems like the hum intensifies with an asthma attack too.  Does any one else experience this if you are an asthma sufferer?  I don't often have much to report here but, I do read the posts.  I really wish there was an acceptable scientific explanation for what we are all hearing and a solution.  With all of us hum hearers we can't all be crackpots (or can we? LOL!).  I've been hearing the hum since the mid-80's.  It was at the worst for me then in intensity possibly because it was "unknown" to me and there really wasn't anyone to talk to about this problem.  I used to think back then that I was imagining it.  My worst trip to Santa Fe New Mexico tho occurred in 1986 when we visited my husband's small hometown of Cerrillos New Mexico.  Cerrillos is not very far from Taos where the hum began to be noticed the most.  The hum literally made me physically ill it was so strong.  I was nauseated and kept a severe, almost migraine like headache the whole visit.  I haven't heard it in that intensity for a long time.  I also experienced it at a louder pitch than normal for me when I visited my girlfriend in England.  She lives in Orpington, Kent County about 70 miles southwest of London I believe that is the correct direction.  Any way I must get going and get my hubby some dinner.  I have been following all the threads with interest.

          Susan Schmitt
          Germantown, Maryland,
          Montgomery County, USA