Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: If the hum is caused by gravity waves, how do we shield our hou

  • Di Ford
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2008
      Thanks so much Bill.  It's absolutely imperative to have input from all sides.  The more, the better. It would be foolishly easy to just jump to a conclusion...but, with the expertise of people such as yourself who have such extensive background in science...well, it saves me from looking foolish. (something I can always accomplish all by myself!!  :)   ) I suppose, after checking into the various links you, Tom, Kallio, and others provide, there might be a day when THE answer jumps up and grabs hold of me, but, until that day strikes, the forum continues to inform and educate.
      To Wahoo421....as you can see by what I've just written...it's a good thing.  And "you ain't seen nuthin' yet!!"   Everyone's input is helpful, as Colin referred to, no matter what the level of understanding.  Happy Reading!   - Di

      Bill Curry <bpcurry@...> wrote:

         Your response about HAARP is very good and concise.  In earlier times, a member of this list who was concerned about an ionospheric heater based in Norway made many posts trying to link HAARP and similar ionospheric heaters to the Hum.  I tried to refute his or her arguments based on what I know about Physics - my career for almost 50 years and found the same arguments resurfacing many times.  One of the arguments I tried to refute was the expectation in the patents (of Bernard Eastlund) that cover HAARP to be able to modify weather.  The weather modification claim was based on assuming that the radio wave energy put into the ionosphere by HAARP would leave "holes" that would be filled by neutral particles flowing into the void, thus affecting the wind distribution in the upper atmosphere.  In my opinion, the fatal flaw in this  argument is its neglect of the energy that charged particles radiate away when accelerated in the presence of a magnetic field.

         Another incorrect explanation, in my opinion, is the expectation that any perturbation of the electric and magnetic fields in the ionosphere would propagate far enough (50 miles or so) to the earth where they could cause acoustic waves in the atmosphere.  Airplanes equipped with sensitive detectors have detected electric currents induced by HAARP into the lower atmosphere with magnitudes on the order of nanoamperes, and the likelihood of such small electromagnetic disturbances being able to cause acoustic fluctuations is extremely remote.  Also, the likelihood of these electromagnetic disturbances producing internal sounds in one's brain (similar to "microwave hearing") is also exceedingly small, because they would not deposit energy within the brain and other soft tissue nearly fast enough to cause the hearing of "phantom sounds" in the cochlea.  (The conventional thermoacoustic theory for microwave hearing requires energy deposition many orders of magnitude higher than is possible with these weak electromagnetic waves.  In summary, I think there is very little likelihood that HAARP is at all related to the Hum.

      Regards, Bill Curry,

      who studied electromagnetic aspects of the Koko Hum in 2003
      (see report in the archives of this forum.  My report was an appendix of the report of Jim Cowan, the acoustician hired by the Kokomo City Council to make acoustic measurements of the Hum)

      on 5/30/08 7:39 PM, Tom Becker at gtbecker@rightime. com wrote:

      > It would be great to "pull the plug" on the entire HAARP system for
      a month...

      The HAARP instrument system that gets the most attention is the IRI;
      that's the system that comprises 180 antennas and associated HF
      transmitters that radiates up to 3.6 million Watts vertically, and is
      the system that's generally accused of global mischief.  The IRI is
      not operating most times, so the plug is already being pulled for you.

      From the HAARP FAQ:
      "How frequently is the HF transmitter used?
      "The HF Transmitter is used during research campaigns to support
      interactive study of the ionosphere. A typical research period may
      last one or two weeks and up to four such campaigns may occur in a
      given year."  http://www.haarp. alaska.edu/ haarp/faq. html

      The scheduling of the system is a problem for those who would blame it
      for the Hum.  It does not operate continuously; in fact, it operates
      only eight weeks out of 52, if you believe the FAQ.

      To put 3.6 MW into perspective, in the States, each UHF broadcast TV
      station radiates 5MW.  If you read deep into the HAARP technical intro
      you'll find that the amount of power delivered to the ionospheric
      layer is very small, and it is tiny when compared to the everyday
      bombardment of the ionosphere from the Sun.  If HAARP is capable of
      modulating your ear, the Sun can do it far easier and continuously.

      I do not think that HAARP is responsible for the Hum.

      Cape Coral

      |Bill P. Curry, PhD         EMSciTek Consulting Co.|
      |(630 858-9377              Fax (630) 858-9159     |