Hum in Michigan?

  • dreaminglink
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2004
      Hi, everyone!

      I've been hearing this hum since moving to the Detroit area four
      years ago. I thought it might be tinnitus, but now I'm not so sure.
      I understand tinnitus is high pitched, and what I hear sounds more
      like a bass guitar to me.

      But lately, I've got another sound that seems "in addition" to this
      hum. It's a high-pitched "wavering" sound similar to the sound you'd
      hear if you left the phone off the receiver long enough. So, now
      I've got TWO sounds!

      The bass sound is not constant... it seems to "beat" or pulsate. And
      for a long time, I thought it was a neighbor's stereo bass system I
      was hearing. But I can't believe this any longer since it's the same
      sound every night. It seems to be getting stronger or louder.

      I just need to verify what the heck is going on with me. If this is
      my hearing, then I need to see a doctor!

      I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else may be hearing this in my
      area.
    • hortonhearsahum
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2004
        So the second part of my hum has moved to Detroit! Let's hope it
        keeps moving west - maybe it'll stop somewhere in the middle of the
        Pacific Ocean...

        Seriously, Dreaming, it sounds like you are hearing something very
        similar to what I heard for about two years. The higher pitched sound
        seems to have recently moved on (touch wood). I found that if I put
        one ear to a pillow, I could focus the sound quite clearly - can you
        do that?

        You don't have hearing loss in one ear by any chance?

        Horton

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "dreaminglink" <dreaminglink@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi, everyone!
        >
        > I've been hearing this hum since moving to the Detroit area four
        > years ago. I thought it might be tinnitus, but now I'm not so
        sure.
        > I understand tinnitus is high pitched, and what I hear sounds more
        > like a bass guitar to me.
        >
        > But lately, I've got another sound that seems "in addition" to this
        > hum. It's a high-pitched "wavering" sound similar to the sound
        you'd
        > hear if you left the phone off the receiver long enough. So, now
        > I've got TWO sounds!
        >
        > The bass sound is not constant... it seems to "beat" or pulsate.
        And
        > for a long time, I thought it was a neighbor's stereo bass system I
        > was hearing. But I can't believe this any longer since it's the
        same
        > sound every night. It seems to be getting stronger or louder.
        >
        > I just need to verify what the heck is going on with me. If this
        is
        > my hearing, then I need to see a doctor!
        >
        > I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else may be hearing this in
        my
        > area.
      • dreaminglink
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2004
          Wow, it's amazing you should mention putting my ear to the pillow!
          Last night I did this in order to try to focus the sound and see if
          it's just this one ear. I could hear it even through the pillow!
          Although I am aware of it in my left ear, the right ear seems to be
          getting it the strongest for some reason. I "hear" the sound with my
          left ear as a distant sound, but my right ear actually "feels" it.

          And lately, it's been waking me up. I've noticed that it's usually
          the same time each night too: right around 2 a.m. ET. (You know, I
          just realized, I can hear it NOW and it's 9 a.m. ET.)

          Now, the hearing damage thing IS possible and I had attributed this
          experience to this possibility for years. When I was around 10 years
          old, I stacked a bunch of caps (kids used to be able to buy caps to
          load into cap pistols in the '50s and early 60s) on a cement floor
          and hit them with a hammer (I was a precocious child! <G>). The
          resulting explosion left me completely stone deaf for about 24
          hours. So, I thought for years that this was the "cause" of this.

          But recently I read that this type of damage would account for the
          high-pitched sound I sometimes get, but not the bass sound.

          What are your thoughts here?

          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "hortonhearsahum"
          <hortonhearsahum@y...> wrote:
          > So the second part of my hum has moved to Detroit! Let's hope it
          > keeps moving west - maybe it'll stop somewhere in the middle of the
          > Pacific Ocean...
          >
          > Seriously, Dreaming, it sounds like you are hearing something very
          > similar to what I heard for about two years. The higher pitched
          sound
          > seems to have recently moved on (touch wood). I found that if I put
          > one ear to a pillow, I could focus the sound quite clearly - can
          you
          > do that?
          >
          > You don't have hearing loss in one ear by any chance?
          >
          > Horton
          >
          > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "dreaminglink" <dreaminglink@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi, everyone!
          > >
          > > I've been hearing this hum since moving to the Detroit area four
          > > years ago. I thought it might be tinnitus, but now I'm not so
          > sure.
          > > I understand tinnitus is high pitched, and what I hear sounds
          more
          > > like a bass guitar to me.
          > >
          > > But lately, I've got another sound that seems "in addition" to
          this
          > > hum. It's a high-pitched "wavering" sound similar to the sound
          > you'd
          > > hear if you left the phone off the receiver long enough. So, now
          > > I've got TWO sounds!
          > >
          > > The bass sound is not constant... it seems to "beat" or pulsate.
          > And
          > > for a long time, I thought it was a neighbor's stereo bass system
          > > was hearing. But I can't believe this any longer since it's the
          > same
          > > sound every night. It seems to be getting stronger or louder.
          > >
          > > I just need to verify what the heck is going on with me. If this
          > is
          > > my hearing, then I need to see a doctor!
          > >
          > > I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else may be hearing this
          in
          > my
          > > area.
        • hortonhearsahum
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2004
            The reason I mentioned hearing loss, is that I lost 90% of the
            hearing in my right ear about 10 years ago - shortly after I moved
            into the house where I've heard the hum for the last two years.

            I think you're right about the tinnitus you're probably experiencing
            due to the damage you did as a child. I would guess that you damaged
            your eardrum. But you'd have to talk to someone with more knowledge
            on it than I to confirm it.

            I did (as I mentioned before, it has taken a hiatus) hear two sounds -
            one a very low pitched hum and the other, when I put my good ear to
            the pillow, a kind of low frequency noise (not as low as the other)
            in a pulsed pattern. I thought I was just sort of tuning in the
            diffuse hum but I'm starting to think that they are actually two
            different phenomenon. I still hear the hum but not as loud and the
            buzz seems to have gone. Which is good because it was much more
            bothersome - the hum I can live with at the current levels -
            hopefully it doesn't cause physical damage or illness although
            testimony from others on this forum suggest otherwise.