Re: Why does my house hum?

  • Mark Allyn
    Message 1 of 8 , May 13, 2008
      I went and got hearing test in case I needed proof.
      I hear perfectly fine, and even at less than 0Db in upper freqs.
      Better than average.
      I complained to city, cause I heard a farma-ceutical company runs 24
      hours 7 days about 2 mile from my house, called Mallinkrodt.
      I complained to city, they said they would do an inspection.
      About 3 days later, the hum diminished to a barely perceptible
      amount, but it does come and go. It is not intense enough to
      resonate the house these days, but it is not so audible anymore.

      I also have 3 White noise makers in the home for the rooms that have
      the most hum. So it has gotten better... since that call to the
      city. Now I see another farma 2 miles north called Catalent.
      We may call the city about them too.

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

      > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Diane Antone <dianeantone@>
      > wrote:> Hi Colin,
      > > Thanks for your reply to my post. Good to know I'm not alone! As
      > ears, > Why do you think it starts when we become middle-aged?
      That
      > makes it sound rather as if it is suspected to be a form of
      > tinnitus.......
      >
      > No its not tinnitus, thats an internal thing, this is an external
      > source. Still debated whether natural or man-made.
      >
      > Also debated whether audio or electo-magnetic sound.
      >
      > A house tends to amplify the hum sound and it depends on the room
      > shape, ie, cavity, on how loud it is. A long narrow corridor is
      bad,
      > a very large room not so.
      >
      > Only once I ever heard the hum outside and it was by sitting
      against a
      > massive concrete wall, so it amplified the hum.
      >
      > There are a lot of theories why middle age, but my own favorite is
      > calcite cyristals theory (check websites) that grow in voids of
      the
      > inner ear, and it takes about middle age till they grow to
      resonate
      > with the electro-magnetic sound (HUM).
      >
      > Also this may explain way a lot of us only get it in one ear, as
      that
      > ear is resonating with the hum and the other is not.
      >
      > You should read some of the earlier messages on this site, to get
      more
      > information, cheers colin.

    • Mark Allyn
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2008
        call the city, and open a complaint. Find some company that is
        making noise nearby, or even the military camp, and tell them you
        want them to do an inspection. That way, anything they find is
        public record, and can be used as evidence.

        wrote:

        > Greetings to all!
        > I'm new to this forum and am relieved to know I am not going
        crazy. For
        > about three years I have been experiencing the hum in my stone-
        built,
        > 18th century farmhouse in Sussex, England. I'm on the side of a
        valley
        > on the edge of a forest, with a small military camp visible on the
        > other side of the valley. The hum is audible most evenings and
        last
        > night when I came home from work at about 9 it hit me as I walked
        in
        > the house. Normally it doesn't keep me awake unless I don't get to
        bed
        > before 11:30 when it really gets into its stride. But it wakes me
        up at
        > 3:30am regular as clockwork. Last night however it was so bad I
        had to
        > get up and go outside just to reassure myself it was the hum and
        not my
        > head - of course, I pop my head outside the door and it is gone. I
        can
        > stil hear the road noise, the occasional plane or helicopter, and
        > sometimes noises from the camp, but not the hum. Originally I
        thought -
        > and it still sounds as if it could be - that it ws a generator
        running
        > in the distance. But in that case, why do I hear it indoors and
        not
        > outdoors? My husband says the house is acting like a loudspeaker
        or
        > resonating box. I am thinking of moving to get away from it. I
        don't
        > hear it in our house in France, or when I am holiday. Someone said
        it
        > could be stress related as it only happens when I am home and have
        been
        > working all day.
        > I'm looking forward to the discussions on this forum.
        >
        > Diane.
        >

        > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "supercool1955" <myriad7@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well, I found another source of the Hum. It is the tenant
        downstairs,
        > > he needs a new electric fan for his toilet. This house was built
        in
        > 1973.
        > >
        > > Switching off the power at night when the Hum is loud does not
        make it
        > > go away. My experiments clearly show that the noise is external
        to the
        > > house. The noise prevails, even though the master fuse switch is
        off
        > > on all apartments. Going outside and the noise is gone. I hear a
        > > roaring noise coming from I-95 and sometimes a train on the
        Conrail
        > > line. I can hear jet engines in the distance from airliners
        > > approaching La Guardia Airport. I will visit Radio Shack to see
        if
        > > they have a detector for this low vibration.

      • mack_colin
        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 2008
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Allyn" <cobrajet_1998@...>
          wrote:> call the city, and open a complaint. Find some company that
          is > making noise nearby, . I will visit Radio Shack to see
          > if> > > they have a detector for this low vibration....

          Hi mark

          A lot of people on this site have to find out whether they suffer
          the hum or not. Some really have tinitus, some suffer some local
          noise making just as your message. As you say you have to look at
          all these things before you can say you have the HUM.

          Those who do suffer the hum, can look for years wondering where this
          external noise source is coming from, but when you get it inside
          your house and just step out the door to stop it, it is most weird.

          In my own case, I live in a rural agrecultural area of Scotland,
          with no heavy industry, fabrication, mining or anything within 40
          miles (all long gone now), so to hear the HUM for the first time was
          most distressing, as there was no visual or audiable clues to any
          such noise.

          By finding these websites about the HUM, I soon realised I was
          another HUM stastistic.