The Noises

  • supercool1955
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 10:22 PM
      Well, I found another source of the Hum. It is the tenant downstairs,
      he needs a new electric fan for his toilet. This house was built in 1973.

      Switching off the power at night when the Hum is loud does not make it
      go away. My experiments clearly show that the noise is external to the
      house. The noise prevails, even though the master fuse switch is off
      on all apartments. Going outside and the noise is gone. I hear a
      roaring noise coming from I-95 and sometimes a train on the Conrail
      line. I can hear jet engines in the distance from airliners
      approaching La Guardia Airport. I will visit Radio Shack to see if
      they have a detector for this low vibration.
    • dianeantone
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2008
        Greetings to all!
        I'm new to this forum and am relieved to know I am not going crazy. For
        about three years I have been experiencing the hum in my stone-built,
        18th century farmhouse in Sussex, England. I'm on the side of a valley
        on the edge of a forest, with a small military camp visible on the
        other side of the valley. The hum is audible most evenings and last
        night when I came home from work at about 9 it hit me as I walked in
        the house. Normally it doesn't keep me awake unless I don't get to bed
        before 11:30 when it really gets into its stride. But it wakes me up at
        3:30am regular as clockwork. Last night however it was so bad I had to
        get up and go outside just to reassure myself it was the hum and not my
        head - of course, I pop my head outside the door and it is gone. I can
        stil hear the road noise, the occasional plane or helicopter, and
        sometimes noises from the camp, but not the hum. Originally I thought -
        and it still sounds as if it could be - that it ws a generator running
        in the distance. But in that case, why do I hear it indoors and not
        outdoors? My husband says the house is acting like a loudspeaker or
        resonating box. I am thinking of moving to get away from it. I don't
        hear it in our house in France, or when I am holiday. Someone said it
        could be stress related as it only happens when I am home and have been
        working all day.
        I'm looking forward to the discussions on this forum.

        Diane.

        --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "supercool1955" <myriad7@...> wrote:

        > Well, I found another source of the Hum. It is the tenant downstairs,
        > he needs a new electric fan for his toilet. This house was built in
        1973.

        > Switching off the power at night when the Hum is loud does not make it
        > go away. My experiments clearly show that the noise is external to the
        > house. The noise prevails, even though the master fuse switch is off
        > on all apartments. Going outside and the noise is gone. I hear a
        > roaring noise coming from I-95 and sometimes a train on the Conrail
        > line. I can hear jet engines in the distance from airliners
        > approaching La Guardia Airport. I will visit Radio Shack to see if
        > they have a detector for this low vibration.

      • mack_colin
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2008
          --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "dianeantone" <dianeantone@...> wrote:
          > Greetings to all!
          > I'm new to this forum and am relieved to know I am not going crazy.
          For about three years.......

          Hi Dianeantone

          I am sorry to say but you definately have the classic HUM.

          By saying you hear it indoors and not outdoors, the majority of us
          have the same situation.

          Is it in the ear or both, I only get this in right ear.

          I am from West Coast Scotland and have had this for three years, when
          middle aged, that again is the standard, as it usually hits when you
          are 45 - 50.

          Moving house is not the answer unless you can definately be 100% sure
          it is hum free for months after you move in.

          I have been in plenty parts of the UK and Europe and get the hum
          eventually , after the holiday effect has wore off (holiday efeect- by
          moving it sometimes stops the hum for a short while, usually a few
          days to a week, but it returns)

          The main thing is to mask the hum with all the defences we have, like
          ear plugs, active headphones, white noise, background music, etc.

          Dont let it get to you. Cheers Colin.
        • Diane Antone
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2008

            Hi Colin,

            Thanks for your reply to my post. Good to know I'm not alone! As to ears, I don't think it's either one particularly and it almost feels like it bypasses my ears in a way.

            Why do you think it starts when we become middle-aged? That makes it sound rather as if it is suspected to be a form of tinnitus.

            But I can't see how it can be in my head when it varies in strength as I walk from one room to another!

            Diane.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2008
              --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Diane Antone <dianeantone@...>
              wrote:> Hi Colin,
              > Thanks for your reply to my post. Good to know I'm not alone! As to
              ears, > Why do you think it starts when we become middle-aged? That
              makes it sound rather as if it is suspected to be a form of
              tinnitus.......

              No its not tinnitus, thats an internal thing, this is an external
              source. Still debated whether natural or man-made.

              Also debated whether audio or electo-magnetic sound.

              A house tends to amplify the hum sound and it depends on the room
              shape, ie, cavity, on how loud it is. A long narrow corridor is bad,
              a very large room not so.

              Only once I ever heard the hum outside and it was by sitting against a
              massive concrete wall, so it amplified the hum.

              There are a lot of theories why middle age, but my own favorite is
              calcite cyristals theory (check websites) that grow in voids of the
              inner ear, and it takes about middle age till they grow to resonate
              with the electro-magnetic sound (HUM).

              Also this may explain way a lot of us only get it in one ear, as that
              ear is resonating with the hum and the other is not.

              You should read some of the earlier messages on this site, to get more
              information, cheers colin.
            • Mark Allyn
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2008
                I went and got hearing test in case I needed proof.
                I hear perfectly fine, and even at less than 0Db in upper freqs.
                Better than average.
                I complained to city, cause I heard a farma-ceutical company runs 24
                hours 7 days about 2 mile from my house, called Mallinkrodt.
                I complained to city, they said they would do an inspection.
                About 3 days later, the hum diminished to a barely perceptible
                amount, but it does come and go. It is not intense enough to
                resonate the house these days, but it is not so audible anymore.

                I also have 3 White noise makers in the home for the rooms that have
                the most hum. So it has gotten better... since that call to the
                city. Now I see another farma 2 miles north called Catalent.
                We may call the city about them too.

                --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "mack_colin" <mack_colin@...> wrote:

                > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, Diane Antone <dianeantone@>
                > wrote:> Hi Colin,
                > > Thanks for your reply to my post. Good to know I'm not alone! As
                > ears, > Why do you think it starts when we become middle-aged?
                That
                > makes it sound rather as if it is suspected to be a form of
                > tinnitus.......
                >
                > No its not tinnitus, thats an internal thing, this is an external
                > source. Still debated whether natural or man-made.
                >
                > Also debated whether audio or electo-magnetic sound.
                >
                > A house tends to amplify the hum sound and it depends on the room
                > shape, ie, cavity, on how loud it is. A long narrow corridor is
                bad,
                > a very large room not so.
                >
                > Only once I ever heard the hum outside and it was by sitting
                against a
                > massive concrete wall, so it amplified the hum.
                >
                > There are a lot of theories why middle age, but my own favorite is
                > calcite cyristals theory (check websites) that grow in voids of
                the
                > inner ear, and it takes about middle age till they grow to
                resonate
                > with the electro-magnetic sound (HUM).
                >
                > Also this may explain way a lot of us only get it in one ear, as
                that
                > ear is resonating with the hum and the other is not.
                >
                > You should read some of the earlier messages on this site, to get
                more
                > information, cheers colin.

              • Mark Allyn
                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2008
                  call the city, and open a complaint. Find some company that is
                  making noise nearby, or even the military camp, and tell them you
                  want them to do an inspection. That way, anything they find is
                  public record, and can be used as evidence.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2008
                    --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Allyn" <cobrajet_1998@...>
                    wrote:> call the city, and open a complaint. Find some company that
                    is > making noise nearby, . I will visit Radio Shack to see
                    > if> > > they have a detector for this low vibration....

                    Hi mark

                    A lot of people on this site have to find out whether they suffer
                    the hum or not. Some really have tinitus, some suffer some local
                    noise making just as your message. As you say you have to look at
                    all these things before you can say you have the HUM.

                    Those who do suffer the hum, can look for years wondering where this
                    external noise source is coming from, but when you get it inside
                    your house and just step out the door to stop it, it is most weird.

                    In my own case, I live in a rural agrecultural area of Scotland,
                    with no heavy industry, fabrication, mining or anything within 40
                    miles (all long gone now), so to hear the HUM for the first time was
                    most distressing, as there was no visual or audiable clues to any
                    such noise.

                    By finding these websites about the HUM, I soon realised I was
                    another HUM stastistic.