Re: New Here

  • coer_12
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2008
      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "K Nicholas" <nicholas.kylea@...>
      > I might also add that I am a Technician-class Ham radio licensee, so
      > these kinds of things are familiar to me. I am just beginning the
      > exploration into this phenomenon, though. I hope to learn much more
      > here.

      Never enough first rate Ham's around. :<)

      It appears possible solar activity might have some bearing for some
      hearer's. It's not the "hum" but if we can correlate one thing with
      another as far as those with unusual sensitivity we might be able to
      get somewhere. If we could get some sort of break on the midnight to
      dawn aspect the majority of hearer's report it would go a long way in
      the investigation into the "what is it" realm.

      If you decide to stick around (so many don't) your experience and
      observations could be invaluable.

      Coer
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7 8:34 AM
        In a message dated 29/03/2008 21:00:45 GMT Standard Time, nicholas.kylea@... writes:

        It seems to get worse at night, and that corresponds to
        the 12am to 4am timeframe cited in the article. I live about a half
        a block from what my brother tells me is a microwave tower and there
        is also a water tower nearby owned by the city of Seattle and it has
        antennas on it as well. Although I can't tell what kind of antennas,
        I'm guessing they're not cellular antennas.

        I might also add that I am a Technician-class Ham radio licensee, so
        these kinds of things are familiar to me. I am just beginning the
        exploration into this phenomenon, though. I hope to learn much more
        here.

        Hi,
        I run a 'Hum'  Helpline in U.K. :
        may I make a few general comments, hoping they may help you in some way.

        From my experience, I don't think MOST mystery hums will be microwaves, since this effect seems to have been around for quite a few years before cellphones came in....
        That is NOT to say that they could 'never' be,
        but at present I remain unconvinced that humans can hear microwaves, otherwise people would be reporting a cacophany, surely?
        Because we all live in a veritable FOG of communications.

        No-one knows for sure, naturally, and there may be many different phenomena that can trigger a noise in the ears.
        One thing I have found during my researches about LFN is that some drugs (medications) can make the hearing more sensitive.
        There may be other chemicals in the environment (e.g., types of pollution?
        food additives?Worth trying  a 'de-tox'?! One writer here a fair while ago said he had done that, to good effect, I think he said....)
        that could do the same thing, so I try to alert people to this little-known effect, so they can check whether anything in their life may be having this effect, and making them hear sounds too acutely, when many others cannot detect a sound at all.
        That phenomenon of a chemical or chemicals making hearing too sensitive ,might answer why some people hear 'it' and many others do not.
        Worth considering.....(I think that is what happened to me.....medications made  distant 'hum', or hums,  seem very loud, unbearable to the point of despair quite often)

        But as I say, in my humble opinion, MOST mystery hums are likely to come from man-made installations, probably of a mechanical nature, such as pumps, air conditioning, or machines operating, as in factories.

        Over many years, people have written so many letters to me, some are able to  identify their sources, which seem to be many and varied, but
        because low frequency noises travel much further than higher frequencies, people sensitive to this range hear the sounds, yet it is so often impossible to find the direction they  are coming from.

        This would appear to be especially so if, say, you were between two or maybe more sources. They could 'overlap', and where they overlap, because of Constructive and Destructive Interference, you could easily get a fluctuation of loudness, in an area of 'focus'.

        For a while, many years ago, I suspected water pumping services, but have not been able to pinpoint any installations that could be culprits.

        I also suspected gas pressure pipes/ pumping, but again, have not heard anything from installations that justified suspicions.

        I hope this may be of some help to you....

        Please try to let the Forum know if you find out anything conclusive, because that would help a great many others.
        Thanks
        Best Wishes,
        R.M.,
        LFNS Helpline, England.