7187Re: Researcher asks: Anybody try to screen off the Hum with Faraday cage?

  • Rossen
    Oct 4, 2006
      Hello Jaxz,
      About Anke Pohl. She claims that in the RF-chamber her hum doesn't
      stops, but in the hypomagnetic chamber it stops. If these observation
      are precise, then in my opinion they show that the most usable
      radiowaves (long, short, ultrashort and microwave) aren't cause for
      the hum. About ULF/ELF and may be VLF they probably can penetrate in
      this RF chamber, but for them there are many other contraarguments. I
      have made many measurements in these bands and have never found a
      correlation with the hum. In 2004 USA stop two of the biggest ELF
      transmiters in the world but the hum didn't change.

      About the hum and ears. You can understand what is the ear as follows:
      Put on the LEFT ear one headphone and change slowly the frequency of
      the tone generator. If near the frequency of the hum you feel
      beatings then you hear the hum in the RIGHT ear. If you don't hear
      beatings then put the headphone on the RIGHT ear and repeat the
      procedure. In this case you must hear beatings and this means that
      you hear the hum in the LEFT ear. If in two cases you hear beatings
      then most probably you hear the hum in TWO ears.

      Rossen
      Sofia, Bulgaria

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rossen!
      >
      > We tried to match the hum to complex computer generated signals.
      > It was not possible to get a good match, but my best estimate was a
      > Squared-sine signal with base frequency of about 60-61Hz.
      >
      > My wife almost gave up, but pinned it down to something like 50-70
      Hz
> [...]
      >
      > I never thought of how we hear it - surely that means I hear it as
      if
      > it affected both ears. But it seems more like it just appears inside
      > my head - though I also often experience it as a vibration of some
      sort.

      > Outdoors, I sometimes "feel" it in my feet.
      > Note - the intensity varies significantly between relatively close
      > spots. that we "hear" it most clearly indoors may very well be due
      > the much lower ambient noise levels. Indoors at our cottage in the
      > Swedish countryside it is, according to my measuerements, extremely
      > quiet. Well, except for the hum...
      >
      > I have managed to interest one of the foremost authorities in the
      > world on vibrations and infrasound, but time and poor weahther may
      > preclude a more detailed study this fall.
      >
      > Anyway - this old professor knows about the Taos hum, as well as
      > similar "incidents" in north Sweden over the past 3-4 decades.
      >
      > Some cases could be explained by vibrations in the ground (turbines
      > main frequencies), some could not.
      >
      > I'm currently trying to find data on the turbines in all
      hydroelectric
      > power plants in the region. Hopefully I may be able to match such
      data
      > to some measurable entity.
      >

      > Another theory is the 3G network that has grown exponentially around
      > here. However unlikely due to the low fields, it is the one main
      > difference during the last few years around here. The 3G system
      > operates at 2.1GHz, and might possibly somehow (note the vague
      > language ...) augment RF-induced effects synergistically with the
      > older GSM (900MHz) system.
      >
      > To rule that out I'd like to try to shield off the RF-fields.
      > But I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Surely somebody has already
      > tried that?
      >
      > It is however not easy to create a good Farady cage. You did
      mention a
      > few disadvantages of the steel box approach - acoustic resonances
      > etc-, though your post seemed to be geared towards reducing also
      > static magnetic fields.
      >
      > But a reasonably good shield should easily be possible to create
      using
      > reinforced cloth such as that found at www.electrosmog.de
      >
      > Any experiences of the usefulness of a decent RF-shield?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Jaxz
      >
      > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "Rossen" <brumnauka@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Jaxz,
      > > What is the main frequency of your hum? Does your wife hear the
      same
      > > frequency? Where do you and your wife hear the hum - in left,
      right
      > > or in two ears?
      > >
      > > Rossen
      > > Sofia, Bulgaria
      > >
      > > --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, "andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > > I hear the hum and so does my wife. This is in south Lapland,
      North
      > > > Sweden.
      > > >
      > > > As a research physicist I have access to great instruments to
      > > attempt
      > > > to solve this puzzle.
      > > >
      > > > I have read a lot about the hum, and actually done some very
      precise
      > > > acoustic measurements. However, the results were that there was
      NO
      > > > audible signal present at all, even though I could hear it loud
      and
      > > > clear while measuring.
      > > >
      > > > I could measure down to 6Hz with very high sensitivity (20dB L-
      Eq;
      > > > that is linear response over the entire spectrum - no filters)
      > > using a
      > > > Bruel&Kjaer 2260 investigator.
      > > >
      > > > For infra-sound to be perceptible, very high signal levels are
      > > usually
      > > > required; that is above ca 90dB L-Eq at 16Hz and increasing with
      > > > decreasing sound frequency.
      > > >
      > > > This is a truly amasing piece of instrumentation - in Nort
      sweden it
      > > > could pick up a concorde starting in Paris. However, no luck
      with
      > > the hum.
      > > >
      > > > Next week I'll do some vibrational studies as well using either
      > > > Geophone or an accelerometer. Such data might correlate to
      infra-
      > > sound
      > > > loggings made by the IRF at www.irf.se (institute of space
      physics,
      > > > Umea university). Possibly my hum might come from hydroelectric
      > > power
      > > > plants. If so I'll surely be able to measure it.
      > > >
      > > > However, if the hum is of electromagnetic origin - it should be
      > > > possible to screen off the perceived sound by creating a
      Faraday
      > > cage.
      > > >
      > > > Did anybody yet rule out that possibility?
      > > >

      > > > Please post if you tried to screen it off using a proper cage!
      > > >
      > > > Best regards,
      > > > Jaxz

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic