7150Re: HUM_FORUM: Re: Researcher asks: Anybody try to screen off the Hum with Faraday cage?

  • Dave at Yaahoo
    Oct 2, 2006
      Jerry,

      I'm just a bit confused. Jaxz's post seems to say that he has thus
      far been unable to measure anything with sensitive equipment (which
      I believe is consistent with older research). So wouldn't this
      support the theory that the sound *is* internal?

      Not that I personally think the Hum is internal, but I'm just not
      clear how you see Jaxz's results as suggesting that the Hum is
      external?

      -dave

      --- Jerry Cummings <futures8@...> wrote:

      > Patty, you are so right - this posting by Jaxz has made my heart sing
      > - I have, personally, absolutely removed any idea that this "hum" is
      > internal
      > in any way. I don't, or can't, give any credence to anyone who
      > implies that it is. So, to get this note from Jaxz - well, yes - it
      > is encouraging.
      > Jerry - Florida Panhandle
      >

      > At 09:26 AM 10/2/2006, you wrote:
      >
      > >Jaxz, Your expertise and accessibilty to sensitive equipment is very
      > >encouraging. Prior messages 6467, 6481, 6496, and 6499 from Rossen/
      > >Bulgaria and Jean/Canada deal with different chambers used in
      > >exeriments in Germany.
      > >(Message 6499 contains a link to the English>research).
      > >Thanks for your work! Patty
      > >CA/US
      > >
      > >--- In <mailto:humforum%40yahoogroups.com>humforum@yahoogroups.com,
      > >"andrewyassin" <jaxzjaxz@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > > I hear the hum and so does my wife. This is in south Lapland,
      > > > North Sweden.
      > > >
      > > > As a research physicist I have access to great instruments to
      > > > attempt to solve this puzzle.
      > > >
      > > > I have read a lot about the hum, and actually done some very
      > > > precise
      > > > acoustic measurements. However, the results were that there was
      > > > NO
      > > > audible signal present at all, even though I could hear it loud
      > > > and clear while measuring.
      > > >
      > > > I could measure down to 6Hz with very high sensitivity (20dB
      > > > L-Eq;
      > > > that is linear response over the entire spectrum - no filters)
      > > > using a Bruel&Kjaer 2260 investigator.
      > > >
      > > > For infra-sound to be perceptible, very high signal levels are
      > > > usually
      > > > required; that is above ca 90dB L-Eq at 16Hz and increasing with
      > > > decreasing sound frequency.
      > > >
      > > > This is a truly amasing piece of instrumentation - in Nort sweden
      > > > it
      > > > could pick up a concorde starting in Paris. However, no luck with
      > > > the hum.
      > > >
      > > > Next week I'll do some vibrational studies as well using either a
      > > > Geophone or an accelerometer. Such data might correlate to
      > > > infra-sound
      > > > loggings made by the IRF at www.irf.se (institute of space
      > > > physics,
      > > > Umea university). Possibly my hum might come from hydroelectric
      > > > power plants. If so I'll surely be able to measure it.
      > > >
      > > > However, if the hum is of electromagnetic origin - it should be
      > > > possible to screen off the perceived sound by creating a Faraday
      > > > cage.
      > > >
      > > > Did anybody yet rule out that possibility?
      > > >

      > > > Please post if you tried to screen it off using a proper cage!
      > > >
      > > > Best regards,
      > > > Jaxz
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic