1864Re: HUM_FORUM: San Diego Hum

    Dec 1, 2004
      In a message dated 01/12/2004 02:29:19 GMT Standard Time, ccarrike@... writes:
      I haven't read your files and posts yet, but i am hoping for some
      ideas for coping with this.

      Thank You,
      Debra
      Hi.
      Recently I had an enquiry from a lady near London who was getting really run-down from loss of sleep, due to the new siting of an electrical sub-station outside her bedroom.
      (I have sprung into action with the Helpline's strong support-letter, setting out, with statements that can be checked , medically, scientifically, whatever, why loss of sleep is very bad for health, long-term). I had a link from somewhere about a noise-masker, that is adjustable, ( to make slightly varying sounds, adjustable to the person's choice) , and passed the info' to the lady. (Luckily she did have a computer and The Net, etc., so the info'  was speedily transferred). She phoned up a few days after buying one of these devices, and said it did mask the deep hum that was plaguing her. As a result, she said she was able to get some refreshing sleep.
      Now I realise that the low frequency noise would not be removed from the house by the noise masker, it would still be coming in, but at least if the hearer can mask it,take the attention away from it a bit, then it is less damaging.  This particular lady also said that she still felt angry that she should have to go and buy a device (about £80 Sterling, I think they are), just to get  some sleep.
      So I thought the forum should at least have the details of the masker device, it seems to be quite good.
      By the way, folks, the general roar of traffic (obviously the city and motorways, you can hear it clearly, and if you go out in the car, you are amazed how fast the roads are filling up....it only takes a small hitch round here to make tarffic jams)  in the early mornings has increased  a lot, 0over the last 2 or so years: this area is getting SO overcrowded, it's really worrying.  The general roar  has a strong low frequency component...it's getting rather unpleasant here, from that point of view, but luckily the wind changes regularly, and when it is from the west , it is nice and quiet again....the difference between the two conditions is very marked.
      Best Wishes.
      R.M.     Southampton, England.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic