11148Re: HUM_FORUM: What's that noise?

  • lauralovesworld
    Mar 6, 2009
      I appreciate your knowledge of the area here...It is refreshing and quite reassuring to read your messages. And as a matter of fact I did live in NoHo when I first experienced the Hum and witnessed some minor seizmic activity at the same time they were drilling for the metrolink. The underground portion of that railway was completed. It goes underground to Hollywood of course from Lankershim, about 1 mile from where I used to live! Basically I have never taken it, nor will I with what I went through with the drilling, sinkholes and all of the topical visual movement that was going on at that time, following the northridge earthquake. I just don't see myself being down in an underground tomb! I moved back to La (NoHo) from Morro Bay following the big one here! I was not used to all the activity following that shocker and I was certainly sensitive to everything being in a second story old wooden apartment (NoHo typical). I went crazy and being new to the area, (new meaning once again, but with new enlightening behaviors of the ground) the shaking seemed minor and not important to all of my peers and such being in their rat race. Although it was about 2 years following the quake, there was still so much of it daily and peaking in the middle of the night. I felt like I was the only one who experienced this madness and went on an individual sanity quest! Friends would laugh at me for even bringing stuff up. Along with all of this wave-like surface movement, I was confused about the noises I heard esp. at night, sort of like a busy freeway going 24/7 but that even came to 1 1/2 hour quiettime yet that sound was still haunting as to where the cars were. So at that time it wasn't much of a Hum or noise thing as it was a visual and sense of equilibrium or balance thing I was having a problem with. It has long since changed for me since then and I moved to Northridge about 4 years ago wherein the sight thing has come to a rare but familiar thing for me, as within the entire valley, where and when I do see it. Sometimes I have to meditate in my own relaxed state to see it but the noise is more of a thing for me now. I believe its due to the new location in-as-much-as it was the other (visual) before. As I experience the sound thing now, I don't see much anymore at least around here, I think that it is either a trade off of location or the sound is replacing the visual sensation as it has become seemingly more calm over time. I have yet to theorize on that question yet.

      Oh, just one quick note on the Northridge quake you may just find somewhat interesting: I lived in Morro Bay like I said before moving back to LA. It is approximately 4 hours, 25 north of San Luis Obispo. There I lived 1 block off the beach literally. The night of the big one, I was coming in about 11:00 pm from a late outing and usually we can hear the ocean without fail all the time. As my roommates and I arrived home and got out of the car I told one of them to stop and listen, as he did for a second. I get goose bumps when I tell this, but I pointed out how erie the night was with a thick air and yet so very still, no wind or breeze and most important, WE COULDN'T HEAR THE OCEAN! Oh well, wierd we thought and agreed went in and went to bed. To our surprise as we woke for work while getting ready, the news on TV floored us! Wow, the night before we didn't hear a thing...

      so as for the sand, I guess you can say that there was a quiet calm before the storm, and moving down in it deeper, the storm is still happening...I believe its our earth cracking and ocean sands that warn us which is what we hear. I just don't know if I am right about it nor do I have any proof except personal knowledge of these events.

      Don't miss LA - stay where you are comfortable...and far off the quicksands!

      Thanks again

      Laura

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, janyl humphrey <hyperion_nc@...> wrote:

      > Hello Laura, has there been any expansion on the metro line out further from the terminus in NoHo/Universal City; when that the metro lines are being built, there is a very large drill that is used.
      > You're definitely in a seismic zone, the Northridge fault goes right through that zone.
      > And so much L.A. city infrastructure down in the ground also---sewer, water mains, gas, etc.
      > Knowing L.A. like I do....I'm sure the idea of sand & granite is right, just like if you go up to Griffith Park or over by Elysian Park/Dodger Stadium....what's in those areas is also on the floor of the San Fernando Valley. Most of the Valley, years back, was farmland (even when I was a kid, there were farms out your way), so I guess you'd have the topsoil but on down, probably more like sandstone.
      > So....
      > I think that ground waves go easily through sand, I know that earthquake waves do, even can cause sand to almost liquify.
      >
      > An interesting thing you've noted about sand and the Hum. In this part of Eastern North Carolina I'm stuck in, it is former swampland that was filled in with a whole lot of sand. In fact, in my front yard, where the soil has worn out....it's sandy.
      > I think there is something to the soil structure and the Hum.
      > And in my case, even being on the "other side of the world"...I know quite a bit about my former home of Los Angeles.
      > One other thing, is the Oxnard line electrified like the Metro or just a regular rail line?
      >
      > It's notable that you & your boyfriend both hear it, did you say that a friend heard it as well?
      > My daughter and I hear the Hum here, and in our case, it is louder sometimes and softer others. Do you notice variability or is it a constant?
      > And I know what you mean about the description....sounds familiar.
      > Sincerely,
      > Janyl in Eastern North Carolina
      > But missing SoCal like crazy...

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic