11139Re: HUM_FORUM: What's that noise?

  • janyl humphrey
    Mar 5, 2009
      Hello Laura, has there been any expansion on the metro line out further from the terminus in NoHo/Universal City; when that the metro lines are being built, there is a very large drill that is used.
      You're definitely in a seismic zone, the Northridge fault goes right through that zone.
      And so much L.A. city infrastructure down in the ground also---sewer, water mains, gas, etc.
      Knowing L.A. like I do....I'm sure the idea of sand & granite is right, just like if you go up to Griffith Park or over by Elysian Park/Dodger Stadium....what's in those areas is also on the floor of the San Fernando Valley. Most of the Valley, years back, was farmland (even when I was a kid, there were farms out your way), so I guess you'd have the topsoil but on down, probably more like sandstone.
      So....
      I think that ground waves go easily through sand, I know that earthquake waves do, even can cause sand to almost liquify.

      An interesting thing you've noted about sand and the Hum. In this part of Eastern North Carolina I'm stuck in, it is former swampland that was filled in with a whole lot of sand. In fact, in my front yard, where the soil has worn out....it's sandy.
      I think there is something to the soil structure and the Hum.
      And in my case, even being on the "other side of the world"...I know quite a bit about my former home of Los Angeles.
      One other thing, is the Oxnard line electrified like the Metro or just a regular rail line?

      It's notable that you & your boyfriend both hear it, did you say that a friend heard it as well?
      My daughter and I hear the Hum here, and in our case, it is louder sometimes and softer others. Do you notice variability or is it a constant?
      And I know what you mean about the description....sounds familiar.
      Sincerely,
      Janyl in Eastern North Carolina
      But missing SoCal like crazy...