11124Re: HUM_FORUM: What's that noise?

  • lauralovesworld
    Mar 3, 2009
      Thanks for all of your answers...interesting stuff and all kinds of
      crazy, just like me! Well, as for the airport, I am 2 1/2 blocks from
      it and practically right under the landing path...yes the tracks are
      the oxnard rail as well. The sounds appear to be underground believe
      it or not, as for the airport, it's pretty quiet at night time since
      it is small and residential surrounds. I go to the airport area
      nearly every late night to feed some feral cats and let me tell you
      there is a hum from one of the big lamps that kick on and off in the
      industrial park area. Transformer sounding stuff. But that is not
      the sound I hear at home! Big difference. the transformer hum is
      obvious direction and sound, sounds just like that however the one
      heard late at night at home is a on-off-on-off sound like what I
      mentioned in the original message, a washing machine stuck on the spin
      cycle forever spinning "wha-wha-wha-wha-wha" (fast tempo) etc. and no
      break in the pattern. Sounds like one spinning in the back room you
      know what I mean. Annoying if you are working or studing, yet like one
      of the noises that are annoying you enough yet you are not really
      fully aware of it until you take aspirin and then realize what the
      heck is all that damn background noise going on at this time of night?
      ? My boyfriend noticed it at my friend's house the other day which
      finally prompted me to look it up leading me to this site or group.
      He was like what is that noise???? We were last to leave a party so
      it was quiet and late. Just before we left we were sitting there all
      of us and he actually heard it, just as I had before and at that same
      time. (The friend laughed at me prior when I pointed it out, but now
      without a word about it my boyfriend was serious when he asked about
      it, so there!!!) I had noticed it at home for a long time, the sounds
      are quite similar yet still don't sound like the transformer exactly
      but if I could record it, I will try to do so...It's loud enough at my
      friends house to do so with all hardwood floors!

      I am beginning to think it has something to do with seizmic-like
      movement possibly or the type of foundation this part of the city is
      built on, like sand or something similar, since sand makes noises when
      it settles, blows or moves...Since I am somewhat close to the ocean,
      there is sand under the ocean and you can hear it move underwater when
      you swish it also. But not from earthquakes moving, just like land-
      tide movement, everyday expansion and contraction like the small
      movement you can see when you meditate, since this place is always
      moving and breathing, earthquakes or not. I am not a scientist here
      but the valleys seem to be granite and sand and all evidence here is
      displayed in the corners of our doors and walls (cracks). You know
      this if you live(d) here, I am sure you know this type of thing - that
      cracking thing on the walls and door jam corners, which need constant
      fix all and still crack through, you LA valley folks know what I
      mean!!

      One last thing, my boyfriend builds speakers and speaker boxes using
      cross overs and he makes this stuff all from scratch, not that this
      matters too much but it is ironic that he has used sand in some of his
      speaker creations.

      I hope that this doesn't cause a lot of controversy or make anyone
      mad, it just seems like I put too much thought into this crap and I
      agree, I should snore louder, but from what I hear, I already do so!
      hahhahhee! Alright you guys, that is my big opinion and what I think,
      please don't hate me for even going there, please? It is cool to see
      that I am not crazy and that I am not alone! Have you guys tripped
      too hard and gotten some theories on this noise? Just curious.
      Thanks again.

      Laura F.

      --- In humforum@yahoogroups.com, janyl humphrey <hyperion_nc@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Laura, I'm originally from L.A., I know there's so much going
      on that it's hard to pinpoint a source. Is the Van Nuys Airport to the
      southwest from where you hear it? Also, are there any power
      substations nearby or those high tension power wires?
      > Is the railroad line near you that main one which runs from Oxnard
      to near downtown L.A.?
      > Are there any locales near where the buses sit & idle?
      > Do you have any visible cell towers nearby? (the ones they don't
      disguise as palm trees, etc)
      > Our Hum is also directional, at least from inside our house; though
      we can hear it in other locations, not only inside the house, but
      outside & in other people's houses...
      > I need to get out to L.A. again & see if I hear it there....stuck in
      NC.
      > We're still trying to find the exact source here (and elsewhere)
      too.
      > Good Luck!
      > Janyl in Eastern NC :) P.S. Our bathroom also seems to elevate the
      sound, and I also think with the pipes & tile, helps make it louder in
      there.