1552Re: food for thought

  • Michael Lacy
    Aug 24, 2001
      My primary background is actually in engineering and technology.
      However, 2 years ago I started playing guitar and have come to the
      realization of the enormous expressive capabilities of music and the
      arts. By playing a song for a mere 3 minutes, I can express so much
      more emotion and subtlety than by trying to describe it in words or
      through my day job as software development engineer. I have tapped
      into a mechanism that best channels and expresses my inner feelings.

      However, what I have also learned is that understanding of these
      emotions by others is COMPLETELY subjective. The people who respond
      most to my limited playing capabilities are other, more advanced
      musicians who understand the language of music. Alot of my friends
      who have a limited musical-emotive vocabulary often tune me out and,
      unfortunately, miss out on or do do not understand the emotions I am
      expressing to them through music.

      So in order for HumanML to work effectively, there will be the
      requirement that both the person expressing him/her self as well as
      the the receiver of that information have a common understanding of
      the vocabulary used...in this case, HumanML. Additionally, it
      requires people to acknowledge and understand their own emotions AS
      WELL AS those of others, something that MANY, MANY people cannot and
      will not do because it is frightening for them.

      Think about it, if people understood...and I mean truly understood
      and empathized with...the emotions of others, there would be alot
      less greed in this world. For instance, if Hitler and the Nazis of
      WWII Germany understood that the effect of their anger was
      catastrophic for millions of people, do you think they would have
      done what they did? If they stood in the shoes of the people they
      were trying to exterminate and sincerely understood the situation
      (i.e. imminent death) that these people were facing, do you think
      they still would have carried out the actions they did. Probably not.

      This is a long-winded way of saying that for HumanML to be successful
      requires that people get in touch with and acknowledge not only their
      own feelings about the world, but more importantly, those of others.
      Otherwise. it'll just be another way for people to espouse their own
      views without regards to others. In music, true communication occurs
      when everyone listens to and responds to one another. That's alot to
      ask for, especially through anonymous interface (the internet) where
      people do not have to take personal responsibility for their actions.

      sorry about the long response.

      -mike

      --- In humanmarkup@y..., "Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga" <rkthunga@h...>
      wrote:
      > (The discussion has moved to OASIS--please check out
      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup) and join the new
      mailing list.)

      > Hi Michael,
      >
      > This is very insightful. The arts certainly convey human qualities
      in a manner that goes beyond simply words. HumanML serves as the
      middle layer--the layer of computer readable, extractable, explicity
      emotional metadata. Art and music could translate into HumanML, or
      translate out of HumanML, based on the applications on either end.

      > We are currently assembling taxonomies, or classifications from
      various spheres. Music and art vocabularies could be a great source
      of inspiration for HumanMarkup.

      > Certainly what could aid this process are some standard
      classification systems of human characteristics through music. Are
      you coming from a music background yourself?

      > Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
      >
      > > Music is often considered as a "universal" language for emotion
      that
      > > can be understood by all people from different backgrounds.
      Through
      > > music, one can express sadness, anger, humor, elation...in fact,
      just
      > > about every emotion conceivable that comprise the "human
      experience."

      > > I'm wondering if it might make sense to look to music and other
      > > artistic endeavors as guides to the creation of HumanML. The arts
      can
      > > be considered as vehicles for the expression of human emotions,
      with
      > > an infinitely wide range of subtlety and directness. By
      examining
      > > music and understanding the vocabulary used to express different
      > > emotions, we might be able to understand better what it is that
      makes
      > > us human, that makes us expressive.
      > >
      > > There's no need to reinvent the wheel here (at least that's what
      > > think)...we just need to modify it to suit the context and
      > > environment in which we are seeking to express ourselves. Music
      and
      > > the arts are but manifestations of this same principle which we
      can
      > > look to as guides.
      > >
      > > thoughts?
      > >
      > > -michael lacy