1536Re: [humanmarkup] Re: [h-anim] HumanML Thoughts

  • Rex Brooks
    Aug 22, 2001
      Lucky You. I'm not quite so lucky, but I expect to see it in about
      the timeline you suggest. When I said shortly, I meant that beginning
      work on it was in the next year from now--about the time I expect to
      see fairly mature displacers, weighting algorithms, and nurbs
      calculations for crease angles in H-Anim, and the beginning of
      radiosity lighting engines in X3D. About the same time frame for
      64-bit Itanium to become desktop reality--maybe a little more. that
      makes it 18-24 months or so.

      I sure hope it is still <?xml version="1.0"> and not 1.1 or 1.2. But
      then, I didn't think Blueberry was worth all the fuss, so that shows
      what I know.

      Ciao,
      Rex

      At 1:58 AM +0200 8/23/01, Niclas Olofsson wrote:
      ><?xml version="1.0" ?>
      >
      >Rex Brooks wrote:
      >> Nic, the time is shortly to arrive for just that exploration. There
      >> is a thread with NormBadler at UPenn's Human Simulation Group with
      >> Matt Beitler et al, that I will eventually get into some kind of
      >> presentable form for both HumanML and H-Anim--using Laban Movement
      >> Analysis and Badler's EMOTE engine that fills the bill as far as I
      >> can see right now.
      >
      >Very interesting, but nope, that alone will not do it. A very good
      >starting point though. Looking at EMOTE it appears to me as yet another
      >level of abstraction that perhaps would make things easier. It can
      >perhaps provide a level of abstraction above FAP's and provide H-Anim
      >(or whatever human animation format) with a somewhat more dynamic
      >presentation. In the same time it provides authors and computers with a
      >more fuzzy means of communications.
      >
      >But (a big BUT), in regular software design terms, most of this stuff
      >belongs in the outermost presentation layer. EMOTE gets close to filling
      >in as the presentation logic (backed up by h-anim representation). I'm
      >looking for the layer beneath it, the business logic of human
      >communication. Does it make any sense? Probably not. But I do collective
      >design. The system we are building right now took me since january to
      >design, but we build the core in only 3 weeks. I think this will work
      >pretty much the same, only it will take a couple of years instead. If
      >this where ready for prime time I'd be the first to start a task force
      >around it. But it isn't. It will take years. And I'll be there then.
      >Waiting. After all, this is what MY life is all about. I'm 30 today. I
      >have time :-)
      >
      >Cheers,
      >/Niclas
      >

      >To unsubscribe send an email to: