Logistics Module

  • Ravindra De Silva
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
      Dear all

      we are now going to start the logistic management module.
      This will help to effectively manage the logistics in a disaster.
      one can view this as the middle man between requests and pledges.
      once requests and pledges are matched goods need to be transported.

      The way we intend to build this is by capturing logistic data from
      container level to item level.
      practically in a disaster its difficult to record each packet of rice
      when thousand of lives are at risk waiting for food. Therefore container
      level recording might be sufficient.
      But with RFID technology we might be able to track at a granular level.
      Therefore this module should be able to work with any level of
      precision.

      Any way we want to collect requirements from you all to build this
      module.

      please reply and we will document a summary of these ideas in wiki
      (http://www.reliefsource.org/foss/index.php/Req:logistics).

      thanks

      ravindra
    • Gavin Treadgold
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Ravindra,

        I think you are actually talking more about a supply chain module for
        moving resources around. I would say this is very different from
        logistics (as used in ICS terminology) as logistics is more about
        direct management of resources under your control. To put the three
        modules in perspective.

        RMS module - the 'marketplace' to match resource supply and demand
        Supply Chain module - the module for tracking resources from one
        centre (supplier) to a centre (customer)
        Logistics module - the module for tracking resources at a centre (how
        many packets of rice we have available now)

        I think these three are very closely related, needs identified using
        the Logistics module for a centre will promote a request being place
        in the RMS module, and when a need is met by demand, that request
        will move out of the market and into the Supply Chain module, and
        upon receipt of the resources at the centre they will be recorded
        back into the centre's Logistics module, thereby completing the loop.

        That's how I imagined it occurring anyway.

        Personally, I believe it would be best to be able to have a basic
        Logistics module created for centres first, as the Supply Chain
        module really needs both the RMS and Logistics modules to be in place
        before being implemented. Note that I'm not suggesting a full blown
        logistics system for a centre (as has been discussed previously) but
        enough to provide reporting so that centres can actually identify
        what they have, and what they need.

        Thoughts?

        Cheers Gavin

        On 2/02/2006, at 20:02, Ravindra De Silva wrote:

        > Dear all
        >
        > we are now going to start the logistic management module.
        > This will help to effectively manage the logistics in a disaster.
        > one can view this as the middle man between requests and pledges.
        > once requests and pledges are matched goods need to be transported.
        >
        > The way we intend to build this is by capturing logistic data from
        > container level to item level.
        > practically in a disaster its difficult to record each packet of rice
        > when thousand of lives are at risk waiting for food. Therefore
        > container
        > level recording might be sufficient.
        > But with RFID technology we might be able to track at a granular
        > level.
        > Therefore this module should be able to work with any level of
        > precision.
        >
        > Any way we want to collect requirements from you all to build this
        > module.
        >
        > please reply and we will document a summary of these ideas in wiki
        > (http://www.reliefsource.org/foss/index.php/Req:logistics).
        >

        > thanks
        >
        > ravindra
      • Don Cameron
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
          Gavin fortunately your post popped-in before I spent too much time
          considering a reply :-)

          +1 to all (especially to the concept of "Logistics" being an overiding
          module) - what we are really discussing now is a 'Supply-Chain' or
          'Materials Movement' module possibly linked at a later date to a Logistics
          system. In the context of Humanitarian and Emergency aid Logistics can be
          defined as: "The provision and management of all resources, services, and
          support required by the incident/disaster").

          Don

          I think you are actually talking more about a supply chain module for moving
          resources around. I would say this is very different from logistics (as used
          in ICS terminology) as logistics is more about direct management of
          resources under your control. To put the three modules in perspective.

          RMS module - the 'marketplace' to match resource supply and demand Supply
          Chain module - the module for tracking resources from one centre (supplier)
          to a centre (customer) Logistics module - the module for tracking resources
          at a centre (how many packets of rice we have available now)

          I think these three are very closely related, needs identified using the
          Logistics module for a centre will promote a request being place in the RMS
          module, and when a need is met by demand, that request will move out of the
          market and into the Supply Chain module, and upon receipt of the resources
          at the centre they will be recorded back into the centre's Logistics module,
          thereby completing the loop.

          That's how I imagined it occurring anyway.

          Personally, I believe it would be best to be able to have a basic Logistics
          module created for centres first, as the Supply Chain module really needs
          both the RMS and Logistics modules to be in place before being implemented.
          Note that I'm not suggesting a full blown logistics system for a centre (as
          has been discussed previously) but enough to provide reporting so that
          centres can actually identify what they have, and what they need.

          Thoughts?

          Cheers Gavin

          On 2/02/2006, at 20:02, Ravindra De Silva wrote:

          > Dear all
          >
          > we are now going to start the logistic management module.
          > This will help to effectively manage the logistics in a disaster.
          > one can view this as the middle man between requests and pledges.
          > once requests and pledges are matched goods need to be transported.
          >
          > The way we intend to build this is by capturing logistic data from
          > container level to item level.
          > practically in a disaster its difficult to record each packet of rice
          > when thousand of lives are at risk waiting for food. Therefore
          > container level recording might be sufficient.
          > But with RFID technology we might be able to track at a granular
          > level.
          > Therefore this module should be able to work with any level of
          > precision.
          >
          > Any way we want to collect requirements from you all to build this
          > module.
          >
          > please reply and we will document a summary of these ideas in wiki
          > (http://www.reliefsource.org/foss/index.php/Req:logistics).
          >

          > thanks
          >
          > ravindra

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Ravindra De Silva
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
            On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 20:35 +1300, Gavin Treadgold wrote:
            > I think you are actually talking more about a supply chain module for
            > moving resources around. I would say this is very different from
            > logistics (as used in ICS terminology) as logistics is more about
            > direct management of resources under your control.
            > Supply Chain module - the module for tracking resources from one
            > centre (supplier) to a centre (customer)
            yes i what i mentioned seems more like supply management though i meant
            to include features to keep track of what is received ect.
            i agree that those two are separate modules.

            > Logistics module - the module for tracking resources at a centre (how
            > many packets of rice we have available now)
            yes , lets build this separately from supply chain management.

            > That's how I imagined it occurring anyway.
            i agree

            > Personally, I believe it would be best to be able to have a basic
            > Logistics module created for centres first, as the Supply Chain
            > module really needs both the RMS and Logistics modules to be in place
            > before being implemented. Note that I'm not suggesting a full blown
            > logistics system for a centre (as has been discussed previously) but
            > enough to provide reporting so that centres can actually identify
            > what they have, and what they need.
            >
            > Thoughts?

            yes i also think first we need to have the two ends developed for the
            supply chain to work.
            we will start to work on it.

            cheers

            ravindra
          • louiqa@umiacs.umd.edu
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
              view of future interoperability with other SCM / Logistics systems.
              This module should manage the following:
              -- Generic Catalog Item types and descriptions.
              -- Measurements and units.
              -- Specific product types (details of packaging, volume, weight, etc.)
              associated with some Catalog Item type.
              -- Matching / substituting item types starting with simple
              calculations based on units.

              Ravindra - I cannot take the programming lead on this but will be
              willing to work on the data management concepts.

              Louiqa
            • louiqa@umiacs.umd.edu
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                My last email was truncated. Here it is again. Louiqa

                Gavin wrote
                RMS module - the 'marketplace' to match resource supply and demand Supply
                Chain module - the module for tracking resources from one centre (supplier)
                to a centre (customer) Logistics module - the module for tracking resources
                at a centre (how many packets of rice we have available now)

                Don wrote
                +1 to all (especially to the concept of "Logistics" being an overiding
                module) - what we are really discussing now is a 'Supply-Chain' or
                'Materials Movement' module possibly linked at a later date to a Logistics
                system. In the context of Humanitarian and Emergency aid Logistics can be
                defined as: "The provision and management of all resources, services, and
                support required by the incident/disaster").

                Both the terms logistics and supply chain are overloaded? I suggest
                that we name and define the modules/functions with a narrow focus on
                functionality. Here are my suggestions.

                - Request Management / Request Matching / Marketplace
                - Inventory Management (this is the "logistics" module)
                - Catalog -- I am strongly in favor of developing a module to support
                managing a catalog of items - goods and services. This is with the

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
                  On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 23:49 -0500, louiqa@... wrote:

                  > Both the terms logistics and supply chain are overloaded? I suggest
                  > that we name and define the modules/functions with a narrow focus on
                  > functionality.
                  agreed

                  > - Catalog -- I am strongly in favor of developing a module to support
                  > managing a catalog of items - goods and services. This is with the
                  > view of future interoperability with other SCM / Logistics systems.
                  > This module should manage the following:
                  > -- Generic Catalog Item types and descriptions.
                  > -- Measurements and units.
                  > -- Specific product types (details of packaging, volume, weight, etc.)
                  > associated with some Catalog Item type.
                  > -- Matching / substituting item types starting with simple
                  > calculations based on units.
                  yes its better to develop a generic catalog system that can be used by
                  RMS, Logistics and Supply chain Management modules.

                  Therefore i will be collecting requirements under the following headings
                  1. Catalog system

                  2. Logistics/ Inventory Management

                  3. Supply chain Management

                  in terms of development the will first start the Catalog system and then
                  the other two in the order given above.

                  what do you think?

                  > Ravindra - I cannot take the programming lead on this but will be
                  > willing to work on the data management concepts.

                  yes , if you can draft the schema for Catalog system and other two
                  modules ,i would really appreciate it.

                  cheers

                  ravindra
                • Gavin Treadgold
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                    On 3/02/2006, at 17:49, louiqa@... wrote:

                    > Here are my suggestions.
                    >
                    > This module should manage the following:
                    > -- Measurements and units.

                    Quick point - these could perhaps be linked to Sahana-wide settings
                    i.e. metric vs imperial units etc. After all, these will dictate
                    things like heights recorded for people, distances in GIS, and
                    perhaps others we haven't thought of. Then in the catalogue we can
                    start linking units to specific items. If they are not linked to
                    system-wide settings then there will be different unit settings for
                    different modules.

                    Cheers Gav
                  • Ravindra De Silva
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
                      On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 22:35 +1300, Gavin Treadgold wrote:
                      > On 3/02/2006, at 17:49, louiqa@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Here are my suggestions.
                      > >
                      > > This module should manage the following:
                      > > -- Measurements and units.
                      >
                      > Quick point - these could perhaps be linked to Sahana-wide settings
                      > i.e. metric vs imperial units etc. After all, these will dictate
                      > things like heights recorded for people, distances in GIS, and
                      > perhaps others we haven't thought of.
                      good point!
                      > Then in the catalogue we can
                      > start linking units to specific items. If they are not linked to
                      > system-wide settings then there will be different unit settings for
                      > different modules.
                      .
                      Those settings should go under sahana admin pages (like selecting your
                      locale) ,and then all modules will use same measurement units, then data
                      captured by each module are consistent.

                      cheers

                      ravindra
                      > Cheers Gav
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Gavin Treadgold
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2006
                        We've also got a pile of links on http://gis.org.nz/

                        Free GIS Software
                        http://www.gis.org.nz/index.php/Free_GIS_Software

                        This is a list that Brent has put together.

                        Cheers Gav
                      • chamindra
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 7, 2006
                          Hi Gavin,

                          Gavin Treadgold wrote:
                          > We've also got a pile of links on http://gis.org.nz/
                          >
                          > Free GIS Software
                          > http://www.gis.org.nz/index.php/Free_GIS_Software
                          >
                          > This is a list that Brent has put together.
                          Do we have a section on the WIKI for the GIS integration? We should not
                          lose track of these useful referencse and links.

                          --
                          chamindra
                          http://www.linux.lk/~chamindra