religious music selections in school play

  • David Wallace Croft
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2004
      Board of Trustees, Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD:

      Previously I have complained about church-state
      separation violations at Rosemeade Elementary:

      Unfortunately, I have another such complaint. As part
      of my Humanist religion, I teach my children that God
      is just pretend. I found out late last week that my
      son Ben will be singing "God Bless the U.S.A." next
      Tuesday as part of a school program.

      Yesterday I asked Mr. Terry Carpenter, the new school
      principal, to remove the religious music selections
      from the program. Today he replied that it was too
      late to do so as the program is next week. I
      explained that I felt that the Constitutional issue
      was more important than the inconvenience.

      In late 2003, the previous principal of Rosemeade
      Elementary assured me that although it was too late to
      remove the Christian music from the Winter musical
      program, it would be removed in the future. I did not
      pursue the issue after that. At the time, I did not
      know he was about to retire.

      The new principal of Rosemeade Elementary cannot or
      will not make such an assurance about either the Fall
      or Winter music programs in the future. As he does
      not recognize the Constitutionality of this issue, I
      must file a formal complaint. He has invited me to do
      so by filing the appropriate paperwork.

      He and I both understand, however, that it is unlikely
      that my complaint will be addressed before the program
      on Tuesday. For this reason, I ask for early
      preventative intervention from the Board of Trustees
      prior to any potential violation of my First Amendment
      right as a parent. Please remove the religious music
      selections from the program that my son will be
      singing.

      --
      David Wallace Croft
      (214) 636-3790 m / (214) 731-9284 h