Silent Night

  • David Wallace Croft
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
      Board of Trustees, Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District:

      My daughter sang "Silent Night" to me tonight while doing the sign
      language for the lyrics. I was surprised to learn that she was taught
      this Christian song at Rosemeade Elementary, a tax-funded government
      school. Previously I have complained about the following violations of
      church-state separation by this school:

      * distribution of announcement flyers and use of school grounds for the
      Good News Bible Club, a Christian Sunday School service;
      * requiring all boys to attend during regular school hours a recruitment
      rally for the Boy Scouts of America, a private organization which
      discriminates against atheists and homosexuals; and
      * promotion of the modified Pledge of Allegiance in which "under God"
      was inserted in 1954.

      Teaching my daughter to sing about the "virgin mother" and the "holy
      infant" also violates our right as Americans to be free from
      state-imposed religion. Please find a secular song for the third
      graders at Rosemeade Elementary to sing instead.

      --
      David Wallace Croft
      http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~croft/
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
        "Virgin mother" is obviously anti-science. There're supposed to be teaching science. No wonder so many people grow up confused.

        Shannon

        David Wallace Croft <david.croft@...> wrote:
[...]

        Humanist Church
        http://www.humanistchurch.org/

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

      • David Wallace Croft
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
          Dr. Annette Griffin, Superintendent, Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD:

          Griffin, Annette wrote:
          > Federal Law allows religious music to be used at choir festivals, band
          > festivals, and any music festival in general. Sensitivity to other
          > religions would suggest that several songs from other religions be used
          > also. I will have someone check into this and get back to you. Thank
          > you for your message.

          Thank you for your reply.

          The federal Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law
          respecting an establishment of religion". If you do know of a federal
          law that permits government employees to teach my children songs
          praising Jesus during school hours, please cite.

          If you are seeking diversity in religious music, I suggest you take a
          look at songs from religions other than those that have adopted the
          Babylonian-Judeo-Christian-Muslim mythologies. As a member of the
          Humanist Church, I recommend "Imagine" by John Lennon:
          http://www.countrygoldusa.com/imagine.asp