DACLU Presentation - WHEN AND WHERE

  • Jerry Weiss
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2009

      Hi -
      Thought you might be interested in the next Dallas American Civil Liberties Union [DACLU]  presentation.  It will be about "Student Rights" and feature  Sol Villasana, a speaker from the SMU Center for Dispute Resolution and Conflict Management.  Hope you can attend.
      1200 N. Buckner Blvd (at Garland Road)
      Dallas, TX 75218  - - - Phone: 214-324-5000 for directions
      We will be in the Shakespeare room.

      WHEN:  Tuesday, August 25, at 6:30 pm.  Come at 6 and socialize with us.
      WHERE:  Highland Park Cafeteria in east Dallas (at Buckner and Garland) -Ph: 213-324-5000.
      WHAT:  In recognition of the commencement of the 2009-2010 school year, the topic is Student Rights.
      THE SPEAKER:  We will be featuring Sol Villasana, a speaker from the SMU Center for Dispute Resolution and Conflict Management who will address some current issues affecting students' rights.  There will be a question and answer period after the presentation.  We are expecting an interesting interactive discussion of the recent Dallas ordinance on daytime student curfews.

      FREEDOM FILES
      We also plan to show an episode of the Freedom Files on the subject. These half-hour documentaries feature firsthand accounts of real people who have taken on the powers that be, often at great risk to themselves, in order to preserve their precious constitutional rights.
      The Freedom Files series is distributed nationwide to public television stations through the National Educational Telecommunications Association. You can check out air dates and times at http://aclu.tv.

      Please plan to arrive early -- between 6 and 6:30.   If you wish, you might pick up dinner in the cafeteria and bring your tray into our meeting room.  It will help compensate our hosts for the space they are providing to us. We will visit and socialize  before starting our program at around 6:30 pm.
      Hope to see you there!

      P.S.  To receive regular updates on Chapter events, please join our ACLU of Texas Dallas Chapter Meetup Group at meetup.com!  If you need further info regarding our meeting, call Jerry Weiss, 214-369-4173.