Dallas ACLU and Immigration Presentation

  • Jerry Weiss
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2009

      Good Morning!
      The Dallas ACLU will be holding a presentation on Immigration and Civil Rights.  Please read and circulate the information below.  Hope to see you there!

      DACLU Contact Person:
      Jerry Weiss
      214-369-4173

      [Press Release]

      The Dallas Chapter of the ACLU of Texas

      Presents

      Civil Rights, Civil Liberties, and Immigration:

       An Interactive Discussion with ACLU Policy Analyst Laura Martin

      6 to 8 pm, June 24, 2009

      Highland Park Cafeteria Private Room

      1200 N. Buckner Blvd. [at Garland Road ]

      Dallas, Texas

      DALLAS The Dallas Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Texas will hold an interactive discussion with ACLU Policy Analyst Laura Martin on the subject of immigration and the civil rights and civil liberties issues, including those raised during the 2009 session of the Texas Legislature.  Background information may include a showing of the immigration-related video of the ACLU’s acclaimed “Freedom Files” documentary series:  “Freedom to Dream”.

      What: Civil Rights, Civil Liberties, and Immigration:  An Interactive Discussion with ACLU Policy Analyst Laura Martin

      When: June 24 @ 6 – 8 p.m.

      Where:

      Highland Park Cafeteria Private Room

      1200 N. Buckner Blvd. (at Garland Rd. )

      Cost: Free and open to the public

      “This is an extremely timely event which  addresses issues that are of concern across the country,  in the Texas State Legislature, and locally in our community.   If you are concerned about immigration-related problems join us for this discussion,” said Dallas  Chapter President Anne Shuttee.

      “We may also show the Freedom Files -  An excellent video series about people fighting for rights and liberties in our great country.”

      OUR SPEAKER:

      Laura Martin is a policy analyst with the ACLU of Texas .  She led the ACLU’s activities on immigration issues during the 2009 session of the Texas Legislature.  The Freedom Files television series draws on the power of true stories to highlight vital civil liberties issues of our time and inspire viewers to take action.  These half-hour documentaries feature the firsthand accounts of real people who have taken on the powers that be, often at great risk to themselves, in order to preserve their precious constitutional rights.  The Freedom Files series is distributed nationwide to public television stations through the National Educational Telecommunications Association. For air dates and times, visit http://aclu.tv/

      ###
      For more Information:

      Dallas ACLU Contact Person: Jerry Weiss,

      214-369-4173