Aug 5 "camping" trip

  • Shannon Croft
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2005
      How would you like to go camping in an air conditioned lodge with
      beds, a kitchen and bathrooms?? Plan on joining your fellow humanists
      for just such a trip!

      We have booked the lodge at Daingerfield State Park for friday and
      saturday, August 5 & 6.
      Daingerfield State Park is located approx. 3 hours east of Dallas off
      of I-30. I know I previously announced that the camping trip would
      be in June, but the lodge is pretty popular and this was one of the
      only summer weekends left.
      The lodge has 5 rooms w/ 4 beds in each room (bunkbeds).
      It has 2 bathrooms, living room, kitchen, a fireplace and most
      important, A/C and heat.

      The park has playgrounds, swimming area, fishing pier, canoe and pedal
      boat rentals, trails, and a store -- plus some historical sites are
      nearby.

      Space is limited so mark your calendars and let me know if you can
      attend! A great time will be had by all!

      Feel free to contact me with any questions.

      Shannon Croft
      214-731-9284
    • Shelly Hattan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2005
        We had a great service last Saturday with almost all members of the church
        in attendance (6 adults, 4 children).

        A new segment has been added to the beginning of the service:
        Positive experiences of being god-free. I've added it to the group so we can
        share with each other why being god-free has been a good thing in our lives.
        This is also done in the presence of our children, so they can hear it, too.

        Ada and Ben Croft brought their science fair displays and Ada showed us what
        her project was about. Well, done, Ada! (Ada's project was to see if
        freezing seeds will kill them. She found that they didn't. She also received
        an honorable mention in her science fair. Ben's was to test if electrical
        current could be transferred in metal only.)

        We shared joys, sorrows and concerns with each other, as we do each service.

        Joe Kleehammer was our speaker and shared with us the discrepancies of the
        gospels detailing what happened at the resurrection. He was inspired by Dan
        Barker's "Leave No Stone Unturned" challenge. The challenge is essentially
        to present an account of what exactly happened at the resurrection according
        to scripture. It was a fun exercise and the information gathered will no
        doubt be a great tool in our skeptical toolbox in the future.

        Shannon Croft announced the upcoming camping trip in August.

        All told, the meeting took about an hour. We met at the local Pizza Inn for
        pizza afterwards.

        It looks like our little group is getting ready to make some big steps.
        While we ate pizza, we also held the quarterly business meeting and
        discussed our future. For now, we've decided to go ahead and meet in Oak
        Cliff for the next three months, but will actively look for a permanent
        location somewhere in the mid-cities, preferably north of D/FW airport, as
        most of the members live in this area. We also voted on a new name change:

        Ethical Humanist Fellowship of North Texas

        Gone is the word church as our member feel that we are more of a fellowship.
        We are also going to actively move towards affiliating with the AEU.

        Exciting things are starting to happen.

        Sincerely,
        Shelly