Dallas Brights changes

  • David Wallace Croft
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2006
      To Dallas area residents with a naturalistic worldview:

      Please see our new webpage:
      http://www.DallasBrights.org/

      We initially launched the Dallas Brights back in 2004 as a new student
      organization at U.T. Dallas. We then expanded it into a Meetup.com
      group open to all in the Dallas area. When Meetup.com changed their
      system in 2005, we stopped using their service and eventually our
      monthly meetings stopped as well.

      For 2006, I am reviving and refocusing the Dallas Brights to serve as
      an area wide announcements list. We presently have more than ten
      related organizations in the Dallas area with a significant overlap in
      membership. The Dallas Brights announcements list can serve as a
      mechanism for reaching this community by posting to a single e-mail
      address.

      As examples from within the last couple of years, our local community
      has hosted speakers from the American Atheists and the Ayn Rand
      Institute. Likewise, we recently announced a Moment of Silence case
      regarding church-state separation in a Dallas area public school. We
      also gathered together to celebrate Darwin Day. These are examples of
      local activism opportunities and special events of interest to our
      community which we can announce via the list.

      The Dallas Brights might not need to meet as a separate group distinct
      from the many local organizations listed on our webpage anytime soon.
      We do, however, provide a general discussion list for socialization,
      sharing news, and seeking advice. Unlike the announcements lists which
      is moderated for content, the discussion list is a free speech zone
      with only limited moderation to prevent spam.

      While the volume on the discussion list might become excessive for
      some, the traffic on the announcements list should remain light with
      just a few notices each month. If you join just one of the lists, it
      should be the announcements list as notices will normally not be
      duplicated on the discussion list. If you have not done so already, I
      invite you to subscribe now.

      http://www.DallasBrights.org/

      --
      David Wallace Croft / (214) 636-3790 m