Original Group Description.

  • Sauwelios
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2010
      This Group departs from the following premises:

      1. The Overman is a type of man — not a different species:

      "The problem I thus pose is not what shall succeed mankind in the sequence of living beings (— man is an end —): but what TYPE of man shall be bred, shall be willed, for being higher in value, worthier of life, more certain of a future."
      [The Antichrist(ian), section 3, with added emphasis.]

      2. The Overman is relatively superhuman:

      "In another sense, success in individual cases is constantly encountered in the most widely different places and cultures; here we really do find a higher type: which is, in RELATION to mankind as a whole, a kind of overman. Such fortunate accidents of great success have always been possible and will perhaps always be possible. And even whole families, tribes, or peoples may occasionally represent such a bull's-eye."
      [ibid., section 4, idem.]

      3. The Overman is superhuman in relation to man in general ("mankind as a whole") and the "good" man in particular:

      "Zarathustra leaves no doubt at this point: he says that it was his insight precisely into the good, the "best," that made him shudder at man in general; that it was from this aversion that he grew wings "to soar off into distant futures," — he does not conceal the fact that his type of man, a relatively superhuman type, is superhuman precisely in its relation to the good — that the good and the just would call his overman devil..."
      [Ecce Homo, Why I Am a Destiny, section 5.]